PDA

View Full Version : So... Michael Jackson dead at 50...

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2009, 11:29 PM
... and my sister's response to it was priceless. When told of the death by her younger son, she asked: "So... was he done in by a jealous priest?"

Think about how many people that one line would offend...

Lindsey
June 26th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Think about how many people that one line would offend...

Makes me think of the story about the tailor who killed seven flies with one swat...

Sad how many child superstars end up washing completely out by the time they are 30. For a while, Michael Jackson looked like he might be one of the happy exceptions to that rule, but it just took him a few years longer to get there.

Mike
June 26th, 2009, 04:05 AM
LOL!

We were in the car when we first heard the story, at the point where death was speculation but hadn't been confirmed. Brent said to me, "I sure hope this isn't another publicity stunt."

ndebord
June 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
LOL!

We were in the car when we first heard the story, at the point where death was speculation but hadn't been confirmed. Brent said to me, "I sure hope this isn't another publicity stunt."

Mike,

The rumor mill today says it was a demerol injection that put him over the top. Supposedly he was on a half dozen or so prescriptions, which is never a good thing.

ktinkel
June 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
... and my sister's response to it was priceless. When told of the death by her younger son, she asked: "So... was he done in by a jealous priest?"

Think about how many people that one line would offend...It is a sad commentary, but I love it! How old is her son?

Lindsey
June 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM

I think Brent wasn't the only one who wondered that! Someone on the talkingpoints.com site mentioned something along that line, too, and thought maybe that was one thing that made the report of his death so completely shocking. Somehow death just didn't seem to be Michael's style; you somehow expected him not to be touched by it, just as he had somehow not been touched by financial collapse or charges of child molestation.

Judy G. Russell
June 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Sad how many child superstars end up washing completely out by the time they are 30. For a while, Michael Jackson looked like he might be one of the happy exceptions to that rule, but it just took him a few years longer to get there.MJ was just plain weird. As another friend said, why a cute black man would want to turn himself into a white woman kind of boggles the mind.

Judy G. Russell
June 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
It is a sad commentary, but I love it! How old is her son?Thomas -- who somehow grew up without any of us noticing -- will be 21 in December!

ktinkel
June 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thomas -- who somehow grew up without any of us noticing -- will be 21 in December!Kids will do that!

Mike
June 29th, 2009, 02:24 AM
...just as he had somehow not been touched by financial collapse or charges of child molestation.
I never thought of him as "not being touched" by those issues in his life; I believe he was affected by both but managed to survive them.

Lindsey
July 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
MJ was just plain weird. As another friend said, why a cute black man would want to turn himself into a white woman kind of boggles the mind.

It was a form of self-mutilation, I think -- one more indication that Michael Jackson was a disturbed individual, and possibly had suffered severe abuse as a child. Lisa Marie Presley tried to encourage him to get help (mainly for his addiction to pain killers), but I don't think he was ever able to admit to himself just how much he needed extensive therapy.

I had always thought he was trying to make himself look like his sister, but recently someone remarked that he was trying to make himself look like Diana Ross, and, indeed, the resemblance is quite striking.

Lindsey
July 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
I never thought of him as "not being touched" by those issues in his life; I believe he was affected by both but managed to survive them.

Good point; he did turn even further inward after that last trial, so he wasn't exactly untouched, but as you said, he did survive and managed to continue to live extravagantly and obviously still had a marketable career. Almost anyone else might well have been completely destroyed, both personally and professionally.

Michael Jackson always seemed like a real-life Peter Pan -- not really quite part of the same reality as the rest of us.

Mike
July 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Michael Jackson always seemed like a real-life Peter Pan -- not really quite part of the same reality as the rest of us.Agreed!

Judy G. Russell
July 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM
It was a form of self-mutilation, I think -- one more indication that Michael Jackson was a disturbed individualWe certainly agree on that.

Mike
July 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
...addiction to pain killers...
I don't know if it makes the national news, but here, we've heard the AG ("Moonbeam") is investigating to determine whether MJ was obtaining them illegally. There's some suspicion that he obtained 'scripts under a variety of assumed names, because the stockpile found in his home is way too big for what an individual can obtain legally in CA.