PDA

View Full Version : Organic adventure: week 2

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
[written 6/19]

So today was the day to pick up the second share at the Cook Students Organic Farm. Nobody was there apologizing for the size of the share today, though they probably felt like they should (it was small) — they were all outside doing some planting. It was the first half-way decent day we’ve had in a dog’s age and it’s supposed to rain again all weekend, so I imagine it was a matter of getting things that need planting now in ASAP while the weather permits.

This week’s share was much like the last with a couple of differences. There was more kale, more pea shoots, more spectrum greens, lemon balm and this week’s other herb was oregano. There were more scallions.

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/569007114_BAwr7-O.jpg

The root vegetables were turnips again and beets.

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/569007086_ibvbv-O.jpg

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/569007161_hSRsV-O.jpg

But there was no lettuce this week (whine…), and we have seen no spinach at all. Oh, well… I grabbed this shot at the farm on my way out and stopped at the grocery store on the way home for lettuce and that sort of thing (and garbage bags! I ran out!).

http://photos.jgrussell.com/photos/568513639_pR7Le-O.jpg

So tonight was experiment time. Remember, I promised that I would really try everything they have to offer at the farm, and I had passed up the turnips last week. So I found a recipe for roasted turnips (basically, you peel ‘em, rub ‘em with olive oil, sprinkle ‘em with salt and pepper and bake. Found another recipe for roasted beets. Had a nice marinated pork loin so… all in the same pan, everything done, nicely on a plate, stuck my fork in (more than once, to make sure I could make a considered judgment).

The verdict:

Yes on the beets. They’re nice. Overcooked ‘em a little; I’ll have to remember that next time.

NO on the turnips. They really are nasty. I’m leaving them behind if they try to give us though again. There’s just something about the way they taste that I just plain simply don’t like. Bleah. I’m sure the folks at the soup kitchen the farm is associated with can use mine…

ktinkel
June 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You’re really virtuous. I still have last week’s kale in the fridge, along with most of a huge bag of arugula — really am at a loss. I like a few leaves on a sandwich (but we haven’t had any sandwiches lately) or mixed with other greens in a salad (but we don’t happen to have any other greens now).

Yesterday I got some purple scallions; they are really strong, and I would normally consider grilling (or roasting them) to serve with meat. Or maybe make a spicy Chinese dish with bean curd, though we are unlikely to eat a dozen really large, really strong scallions in one meal no matter what!

Connecticut strawberries are nearly perfect now. I thought all the rain would wipe them out but the grower quoted in today’s paper said that, to the contrary, it makes them sweeter. They sure are sweet.

I need to figure out what to do with a large bag of sugar snap peas. We are having pasta tonight; maybe steam, then sauté with a bit of olive oil for a side dish.

Our local farmers’ market begins on Monday. That should provide some lettuce, at least. And peas. June has been so cold that I don’t have high hopes of much more.

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
You’re really virtuous.Oh, is that how people spell "stubborn" these days?

Our local farmers’ market begins on Monday. That should provide some lettuce, at least. And peas. June has been so cold that I don’t have high hopes of much more.You might be surprised -- it hasn't been any warmer here and we do have a BIT more. The two farmers' markets I can access (one in Newark and one here in Woodbridge) open Wednesday and Saturday, respectively. It'll be interesting to see what they have that the farm doesn't -- and vice versa.

ktinkel
June 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.Fingers, toes, arms...