PDA

View Full Version : Help: Need a graduation gift for a 50-something

Mike
June 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
One of our close friends is graduating tomorrow with her BS in Business Administration (one class a quarter for 35 years).

For the past two weeks, we've been wracking our brains trying to guess at what to give her for a gift. So far, the best two ideas we've had are an iTunes gift card (though we don't know for a fact she has an iPod) and a bottle of fancy champagne (but she and her husband know much much much more about potent potables than we, and we don't want to get anything that she might consider to be mouthwash).

Since she has been working professionally for many years, we discarded many of the "usual" graduation gifts (engraved pens, briefcases/portfolios, desk organizers). I did some Googling, but most of the suggestions I found are more appropriate to those just entering the workforce.

So, help! If you were graduating while in your 50s, what would you most appreciate (that won't break our budget, given that we're both unemployed)? Thanks for all suggestions.

(Oh, we have to get it in the morning, because the ceremony starts at 12:30.)

Judy G. Russell
June 19th, 2009, 09:42 PM
So, help! If you were graduating while in your 50s, what would you most appreciate (that won't break our budget, given that we're both unemployed)? Thanks for all suggestions.Amazon gift certificate or a gift certificate from a bookstore.

Mike
June 20th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Amazon gift certificate or a gift certificate from a bookstore.
Thanks for the ideas!

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the ideas!Enjoy the graduation!

Jeff
June 20th, 2009, 01:20 PM
One of our close friends is graduating tomorrow with her BS in Business Administration (one class a quarter for 35 years).

Mine Gott! The one chance you will have in your lifetimes to give a woman a cake with 35 candles on it. And live to tell about it.

- Jeff

Mike
June 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
ROFL!

Mike
June 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
Enjoy the graduation!
We did! The keynote address at the commencement was given by Martin Sheen. He was entertaining and funny.

Marcy was so proud. It clearly was her day.

Afterward, we went to a party at her house. She and her husband love to entertain. They cooked a bunch of things for noshing, and Mark invented a new cocktail for us. I also ran into some people I haven't seen for a long time, so the entire day and evening were just wonderful.

Peter Creasey
June 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
So, help! If you were graduating while in your 50s, what would you most appreciate

Mike, You say they are knowledgeable about wine. Give them a wine book that would be good for referencing and for coffee table display.

ndebord
June 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
We did! The keynote address at the commencement was given by Martin Sheen. He was entertaining and funny.

Marcy was so proud. It clearly was her day.

Afterward, we went to a party at her house. She and her husband love to entertain. They cooked a bunch of things for noshing, and Mark invented a new cocktail for us. I also ran into some people I haven't seen for a long time, so the entire day and evening were just wonderful.

Mike,

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Cocktails-Essential/dp/088088360X

Mike
June 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Cocktails-Essential/dp/088088360X
Mark's drink isn't in there. He likes to invent them.

Mike
June 23rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Give them a wine book...Thanks, Pete, but they know more than most of the books!

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
We did! The keynote address at the commencement was given by Martin Sheen. He was entertaining and funny. Marcy was so proud. It clearly was her day. Afterward, we went to a party at her house. She and her husband love to entertain. They cooked a bunch of things for noshing, and Mark invented a new cocktail for us. I also ran into some people I haven't seen for a long time, so the entire day and evening were just wonderful.Sounds like a terrific day! Glad it went so well.

ndebord
June 23rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Mark's drink isn't in there. He likes to invent them.

Mike,

AAAAhhhhh, OK, then: Give them the name of a publisher. Time for them to share their knowledge with us folks!

<g>

Mike
June 24th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Time for them to share their knowledge with us folks!I'm fine that they simply share the results with me!

Mike
June 24th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Thanks! Me, too!

ndebord
June 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm fine that they simply share the results with me!

Mike,

Greedo...

<g.d&r>