PDA

View Full Version : The "new" Republicans

ndebord
June 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
This just out on the wires.

After a gorilla escaped from a South Carolina zoo, former chairman of the Richland County Republican Party (Rusty DePass) said this on facebook:

“I’m sure it’s just one of Michelle’s [Obama] ancestors — probably harmless.”

ktinkel
June 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
This just out on the wires.

After a gorilla escaped from a South Carolina zoo, former chairman of the Richland County Republican Party (Rusty DePass) said this on facebook:

“I’m sure it’s just one of Michelle’s [Obama] ancestors — probably harmless.”Oh. My. God.

Dodi Schultz
June 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Somebody should douse the guy with female gorilla pheromones and stick him in a locked room with the escaped primate (assuming the latter is male).

For starters.

--DS

ndebord
June 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Somebody should douse the guy with female gorilla pheromones and stick him in a locked room with the escaped primate (assuming the latter is male).

For starters.

--DS

Dodi,

They should, but the implications are even worse when you think about it. It sounds to me that this fella is from serious God country and if you take their theology literally, evolution doesn't exist.... we'all showed up 10,000 years ago... except, it seems, for black people who did evolve... differently.

http://www.peoplefordepass.org/biograghy.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Presbyterian_Church_of_North_America

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/14/rusty-depass-south-caroli_n_215439.html

Mike
June 16th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Can we hope that's why he's the former county repug chairman?

Dodi Schultz
June 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Don't attempt to apply logic to such people or situations, Nick.

--DS

Judy G. Russell
June 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Jesus Keeeee-rist. People like that are seriously deranged.

ndebord
June 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Can we hope that's why he's the former county repug chairman?

He's one of the leaders of his church, a prominent Republican in his party and community and well-connected by family ties. In short, by local standards, an upstanding citizen.

Mike
June 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM
...by local standards, an upstanding citizen.
<sigh>

Maybe his name will end up on a list of people needing IRS audits. Complete audits. The "produce every piece of paper for the last seven years"-type audits.

ktinkel
June 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Jesus Keeeee-rist. People like that are seriously deranged.And so badly educated that someone should sue the school(s) that produced him.

ndebord
June 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
And so badly educated that someone should sue the school(s) that produced him.

Kathleen,

Schools? Surely you jest! A large branch of my family are products of that "system" and Christian schools are both prevalent and narrow.

ktinkel
June 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Kathleen,

Schools? Surely you jest! A large branch of my family are products of that "system" and Christian schools are both prevalent and narrow.Ouch.

ndebord
June 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Ouch.

Kathleen,

Yup.

Judy G. Russell
June 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
... Christian schools are both prevalent and narrow.And a lot of folks from that ilk are homeschooled.

ndebord
June 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
And a lot of folks from that ilk are homeschooled.

Judy,

Yes they are, and a good many of the right's elite are homeschooled and products of Christian Academies... Bush's White House for instance.

Judy G. Russell
June 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Yes they are, and a good many of the right's elite are homeschooled and products of Christian Academies... Bush's White House for instance.One of many many reasons I'm glad to have that ilk out of there.

ndebord
June 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
One of many many reasons I'm glad to have that ilk out of there.

Judy,

That "ilk" are resurfacing...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527440,00.html

Judy G. Russell
June 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
That "ilk" are resurfacing...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527440,00.htmlI don't think you can call it re-surfacing when you're talking about Fox News or the Bushies...

ndebord
June 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
I don't think you can call it re-surfacing when you're talking about Fox News or the Bushies...

Judy,

If you like confessions, or perhaps attempts at repentance, an old hardcover is in paperback now: "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man." The Bushies get more than a mention in it.

Judy G. Russell
June 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
If you like confessions, or perhaps attempts at repentance, an old hardcover is in paperback now: "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man." The Bushies get more than a mention in it.Why am I not surprised that the Bushies would be mentioned in a book like that?

ndebord
June 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Why am I not surprised that the Bushies would be mentioned in a book like that?

Judy,

What's scary, in that book, was just how far this fella got up the ladder without any real qualifications, other than the ability to spin a good tale.

Lindsey
June 25th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Yes they are, and a good many of the right's elite are homeschooled and products of Christian Academies... Bush's White House for instance.

Because the parents don't want the nasty worldly people in the public schools polluting the minds of their precious offspring. {choke}

Mike
June 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Because the parents don't want the nasty worldly people in the public schools polluting the minds of their precious offspring.
Which I suspect leads to ignorance about issues and situations the kids will face when the finally are released to the greater world, like sex, drugs, etc.

Jeff
June 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Which I suspect leads to ignorance about issues and situations the kids will face when the finally are released to the greater world, like sex, drugs, etc.

Whatchagot against rock&roll? Huh? Go sit on her corner in HA, until the Filmore tonight. Bring stash. Be dead.

Judy G. Russell
June 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
What's scary, in that book, was just how far this fella got up the ladder without any real qualifications, other than the ability to spin a good tale.I don't need a book to tell me that about the Bushies: I just look at W.

Lindsey
June 25th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Yes, I think that can sometimes be the case. Or, on the other extreme, you can have kids that turn out like Monica Goodling, who seem to think they are some superior breed of people.

Mike
June 26th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Whatchagot against rock&roll? Huh? Go sit on her corner in HA, until the Filmore tonight. Bring stash. Be dead.
I've no issue against R&R. That's what my primary radio station (KFOG) plays.

That's why I didn't include it in the list of "sins."

Mike
June 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yes, I think that can sometimes be the case. Or, on the other extreme, you can have kids that turn out like Monica Goodling, who seem to think they are some superior breed of people.
I don't think they're opposite extremes. I think the MG syndrome is pretty common, yet the kids still can be unprepared to deal with the things from which they were sheltered until they finally went into the wild world on their own.

ndebord
June 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I don't need a book to tell me that about the Bushies: I just look at W.

Judy,

These EHTs (as they called themselves: Economic Hit Men) worked for companies like MAIN, a competitor to Bechtel, et al. A very simple proposition. They would go into developing countries in Latin America, Indonesia, the Middle East and proclaim the advantages of modernization. The main gun in their arsenal was cooking the projections, generally on the electric grid. They would claim that if the country redid their infrastructre with large loans from USA and Europe, that they would get an improbable ROI. This put them under the thumb of their lenders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_an_Economic_Hit_Man

Lindsey
June 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I don't think they're opposite extremes. I think the MG syndrome is pretty common, yet the kids still can be unprepared to deal with the things from which they were sheltered until they finally went into the wild world on their own.

You might have something there, too. I guess I was thinking in terms of two possible reactions to being exposed to the wider world after having been so sheltered -- to be completely overwhelmed by it, or to treat anything unfamiliar with complete contempt.

Mike
June 29th, 2009, 02:07 AM
...or to treat anything unfamiliar with complete contempt. I see your point, but, if only the MGs only treated the unfamiliar with contempt. They treat everything with complete contempt. The inability to deal with the unfamiliar is separate.