PDA

View Full Version : The curse of the Bosox Jersey.

ndebord
June 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Anybody remember when that construction worker buried a Bosox jersey in the foundation of the new Yankee stadium? Now that the Bosox are up 7 to zero over the Yankees, ya gotta wonder about curses and "stuff."

Judy G. Russell
June 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Anybody remember when that construction worker buried a Bosox jersey in the foundation of the new Yankee stadium? Now that the Bosox are up 7 to zero over the Yankees, ya gotta wonder about curses and "stuff."I'd like to blame it on the Jersey but suspect that (gasp) they just played better...

ndebord
June 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'd like to blame it on the Jersey but suspect that (gasp) they just played better...

Judy,

I would agree except... Tonight we lost again, to make it 0-8 and this one is on Joe Girardi who brought back a tiring CC for the 8th inning (threw 123 pitches). Not good managing, not at all as we were up 3-1. After CC let the first 3 runners on, only then did he bring in Aceves, who promptly gave up 2 singles and the lead.

IF Joe was so worried about his bullpen, this, of all times, was the game to bring in Mo for the 8th inning and let him pitch two. Or let Coke or Ace pitch the entire 8th inning. Girardi coaches like he's scared silly sometimes and this was one of them or perhaps he's just not that good.

This loss is on you, Joe Jr.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Girardi coaches like he's scared silly sometimes and this was one of them or perhaps he's just not that good.I am leaning strongly towards the second conclusion...

ndebord
June 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am leaning strongly towards the second conclusion...

Judy,

How do you learn how to handle stress? I remember 'Nam and building a bunker on the night before Tet and being called a fool... the next night I had lots of friends! I found that stress is handled by acting normally. I was scared as a jack rabbit, but I moved like a tortoise. I wanted to run, but didn't and managed to do as I was trained to do (aside from pissing in my pants).

Never wanted to be a hero, nor the go to guy, just the guy who got through it without making a fool of himself... and that I did manage to do.

I'm not sure that Girardi is doing that. I think he panicks and when he does he ends up making poor decisions. I wonder about what kind of pressure he is under from the GM and the mini-Bosses? Experience in the job of manager might just make the difference in outcome and I hope he will grow on the job, but I have to say, I'm not encouraged by the games I have monitored where I don't like the decisions he has made. An experienced manager might be able to go against the flow (the flow being pressure from above) to get the job done.

Judy G. Russell
June 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I have to say, I'm not encouraged by the games I have monitored where I don't like the decisions he has made.Just about every critical decision he's made has been wrong. That doesn't bode well!

Sigh... at least we squeaked one out tonight.

ndebord
June 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Just about every critical decision he's made has been wrong. That doesn't bode well!

Sigh... at least we squeaked one out tonight.

Judy,

Squeaked???? Oh mistress of the understatement. We win because of an A-Rod popup? Irony of ironies!

Judy G. Russell
June 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Squeaked???? Oh mistress of the understatement. We win because of an A-Rod popup? Irony of ironies!At this point, a win is a win is a win!

ndebord
June 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
At this point, a win is a win is a win!

Judy,

After the Beantown massacre, definitely yes....yes...yes.

Judy G. Russell
June 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM
After the Beantown massacre, definitely yes....yes...yes.So what happened out there today??? Everybody take steroids or something?

Mike Landi
June 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
So what happened out there today??? Everybody take steroids or something?
I think Santana is hurt. Not that I mind the pounding we gave the Mets, but that was not Santana.

ndebord
June 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I think Santana is hurt. Not that I mind the pounding we gave the Mets, but that was not Santana.

Mike,

Remember at the beginning of the season, Santana was hurt, then denied it and hurried back into the rotation? He had tendenitis (sp) then and probably now (or worse). His fastball never cracked 90 and his impeccable control wasn't.

We have to hope that Bruney's flexor muscle is as good as he claims. That little dustup with K-Rod was kind of strange, no?

ndebord
June 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
So what happened out there today??? Everybody take steroids or something?

Judy,

Santana threw batting practice instead of a game ball (hurt for sure) and they don't have Puttz and their middle relief is resembling the Yankees. We need Bruney back and we need for Girardi to settle down in his handling of the pitching staff. His actions against the Beantowners was embarassing... You don't make your ace come back when he has clearly run out of gas. Coke and Aceves are rookies, but good rookies who have ups and downs, just like, ah, rookies do. With Bruney, the trio should be good enough, if the starting pitching holds up. I do think that Hughes will be back in the starting lineup soon, because neither Brunett nor now Petitte, look like they are go to types. As for Wang? Who knows???

P.S. But there is something else happening now that is good (I hope) for the Yankees... the arrival of Cervelli. I've been carping off and on for some time now about Posada... When he came back recently, he hit very well, but the pitching stats went down, not up. No coincidence IMO and it seems that Cervelli reacted to being benched positively. He is both calling better games (in all ways) and hitting a ton too. I can't see Girardi sitting him down again. He could be the everyday catcher or at least, split duties with Posada. Great intangibles and he came out of nowhere. He was not on the screen as the next catcher for the Yankees. Those guys are down in AA ball, working their way up. A true find.