PDA

View Full Version : Yanks #1 -- who'da thunk it?!?

Judy G. Russell
May 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hard to believe that a team that started so badly is now doing so well. Not complaining, mind you. Not one bit!

Mike Landi
May 31st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hard to believe that a team that started so badly is now doing so well. Not complaining, mind you. Not one bit!
You turn around twice and we are looking down on the Sox and Jays! It has been so long since we were in first place!

Judy G. Russell
May 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM
You turn around twice and we are looking down on the Sox and Jays! Amazing, isn't it? I'm not counting on it to last but it sure feels nice at the moment!

It has been so long since we were in first place!Just a couple of weeks ago there were 10-12 teams with better records. A month ago practically everybody had a better record!

Mike Landi
May 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Amazing, isn't it? I'm not counting on it to last but it sure feels nice at the moment!

Just a couple of weeks ago there were 10-12 teams with better records. A month ago practically everybody had a better record!
...and today we blew a game. Actually, we got back into a game and then blew our chance to win. <sigh> 1/2 game ahead of Boston.

...I love being able to say that again. I hope it won't be the last time.

ndebord
May 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
You turn around twice and we are looking down on the Sox and Jays! It has been so long since we were in first place!

Mike,

The Yankees are in FIRST! "How Sweeet it is!"

<g>

The relief corp is still short one or two good arms. There has been a regular beaten path between Scranton and da Bronx with pitchers coming and going. Today Robertson lost it after Coke fouled up. Good news? After Hughes struggled, Wang threw 3 scoreless innings. We need Bruney and somebody else to come up and do good. I predict a couple more will come up from Scranton after the All-Star Break. And for now, they had better be at least mediocre or the Yankees will have to buy a pitcher from somebody. Marte is not the answer.

Ace, however, is great... but he is really a starting pitcher, just no room in the rotation for him now. Bruney???? what's up with that strained flexor muscle?

Judy G. Russell
May 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM
...and today we blew a game. Actually, we got back into a game and then blew our chance to win. <sigh> 1/2 game ahead of Boston. ...I love being able to say that again. I hope it won't be the last time.Overall, though, it wasn't a bad game. I just want us to stay ahead of Boston. Forever.

ndebord
June 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM
Overall, though, it wasn't a bad game. I just want us to stay ahead of Boston. Forever.

Judy,

IF Hughes continues to pitch as a .500 pitcher, Wang will be back in the lineup sooner rather than later.

Judy G. Russell
June 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
IF Hughes continues to pitch as a .500 pitcher, Wang will be back in the lineup sooner rather than later.If Wang is ready, then bring him on!

Mike Landi
June 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Overall, though, it wasn't a bad game. I just want us to stay ahead of Boston. Forever.
You and me both! Somehow, I doubt that will happen.....

Mike Landi
June 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Judy,

IF Hughes continues to pitch as a .500 pitcher, Wang will be back in the lineup sooner rather than later.
I know you've heard me on this before, but I'd trade Hughes and put Wang back in the rotation. Either that, or put Jaba back in the pen and give his spot to Hughes.

Mike Landi
June 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
If Wang is ready, then bring him on!
Wang looked like his old self the past two outings. I think he is ready. (spoken by the current manager of the Yankees mind you <g>)

Mike Landi
June 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Mike,

The Yankees are in FIRST! "How Sweeet it is!"

<g>

The relief corp is still short one or two good arms. There has been a regular beaten path between Scranton and da Bronx with pitchers coming and going. Today Robertson lost it after Coke fouled up. Good news? After Hughes struggled, Wang threw 3 scoreless innings. We need Bruney and somebody else to come up and do good. I predict a couple more will come up from Scranton after the All-Star Break. And for now, they had better be at least mediocre or the Yankees will have to buy a pitcher from somebody. Marte is not the answer.

Ace, however, is great... but he is really a starting pitcher, just no room in the rotation for him now. Bruney???? what's up with that strained flexor muscle?
I think there is more wrong with Bruney then we are being told. Too bad, he is a good pitcher when healthy. Wang looks like the old Wang, and that bodes well for us!

ndebord
June 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
I know you've heard me on this before, but I'd trade Hughes and put Wang back in the rotation. Either that, or put Jaba back in the pen and give his spot to Hughes.

Mike,

Wouldn't trade Joba after tonight... 8 spectacular innings and he hit 97 on the gun! (and yes, he ate a midge tonight... that's showing dem bugs!)

As for Hughes.... he is the No. 5 starter and acts like the rookie he is: one good game, one bad. Wang is clearly healthy and just needs to get his arm strength back. All he did the last 2 years was win 19 games a year! And he pitched deep into his games too.

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Wang looked like his old self the past two outings. I think he is ready. (spoken by the current manager of the Yankees mind you <g>)I sure hope he's up to the task. Having him back, healthy, would be fabulous.

Mike Landi
June 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Mike,

Wouldn't trade Joba after tonight... 8 spectacular innings and he hit 97 on the gun! (and yes, he ate a midge tonight... that's showing dem bugs!)

As for Hughes.... he is the No. 5 starter and acts like the rookie he is: one good game, one bad. Wang is clearly healthy and just needs to get his arm strength back. All he did the last 2 years was win 19 games a year! And he pitched deep into his games too.
I'm with you on Joba. That was amazing. He was throwing easily and that change up was deadly. He hit 97 throwing strikes in the eighth inning. AND HE KEPT HIS PITCH COUNT DOWN! That was my biggest concern. The dive off the mound to start a double play was inspiring at the moment, but the consistent pitching was the big story.

Joba is a starter. Last night proved it.

ndebord
June 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I sure hope he's up to the task. Having him back, healthy, would be fabulous.

Judy,

Considering the age of Petitte, having Wang back is insurance. Having 6 starters is not a bad thing and Hughes could go either way. As a rookie, it is expected that he will have rough starts. The good news is that he has had excellent starts too. He is not consistently good, but he is definitely not consistently mediocre which would be very bad news imo.

He is either good or bad and that is the hallmark of a rook.

Mike Landi
June 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Judy,

Considering the age of Petitte, having Wang back is insurance. Having 6 starters is not a bad thing and Hughes could go either way. As a rookie, it is expected that he will have rough starts. The good news is that he has had excellent starts too. He is not consistently good, but he is definitely not consistently mediocre which would be very bad news imo.

He is either good or bad and that is the hallmark of a rook.
You are more forgiving than I am with Hughes. :) I think he is trade bait...but you have a point with Pettite. Keeping Hughes as insurance against Pettite's back is a good idea.

I still want Wang and Joba starting.

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Joba is a starter. Last night proved it.Agreed. He looked terrific.

And, as of tonight, there is only one team in all of baseball with a better record than the Bombers!

Judy G. Russell
June 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
He is either good or bad and that is the hallmark of a rook.Yeah, but he's not really exactly a rookie...

ndebord
June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Yeah, but he's not really exactly a rookie...

Judy,

By the standards of pitchers, he is most definitely a rookie. It generally takes a few years for a pitcher to get really, really good. (That is why Joba is a phenom).

Meanwhile, as for Posada:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/06/03/2009-06-03_jorge_posadas_error_ends_yankees_record_errorle ss_streak.html

His hitting is why he is still catcher. Three baserunners stole bases on him and he missed second base on a throw, ending the Yankee string of errorless games. Next year, DH for Posada and one of the kids at catcher, like Cervelli (sp), who btw, was hitting .370 before they sat him down to let Posada catch again. And Cervelli frames the ball well, works intelligent games with the pitchers and throws well to second base, unlike Posada who is a likeable enough guy but not a great catcher, just a great hitter and clubhouse positive.

ndebord
June 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
You are more forgiving than I am with Hughes. :) I think he is trade bait...but you have a point with Pettite. Keeping Hughes as insurance against Pettite's back is a good idea.

I still want Wang and Joba starting.

Mike,

Down the road Ace (aceves) could be the starter if Hughes falters, but I remember a pitcher who was middle of the road until he turned 30... Koufax:

1955 2-2
1956 2-4
1957 5-4
1958 11-11
1959 8-6
1960 8-13
1961 18-13
1962 14-7
1963 25-5
1964 19-5
1965 26-8
1966 27-9

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Next year, DH for Posada and one of the kids at catcherThat would be a good decision, I think.

Mike Landi
June 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Mike,

Down the road Ace (aceves) could be the starter if Hughes falters, but I remember a pitcher who was middle of the road until he turned 30... Koufax:

1955 2-2
1956 2-4
1957 5-4
1958 11-11
1959 8-6
1960 8-13
1961 18-13
1962 14-7
1963 25-5
1964 19-5
1965 26-8
1966 27-9
<sigh>

Neither one is a Koufax

Mike Landi
June 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but he's not really exactly a rookie...
I'm with you. No rookie. Trade him...once we know that Wang is back in form.

Mike Landi
June 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
That would be a good decision, I think.
I like that Chevallie (however it is spelled) kid. With some work, I think he could be a great catcher.

Judy G. Russell
June 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm with you. No rookie. Trade him...once we know that Wang is back in form.Well, let's see what happens with Andy. He sure wasn't dandy out there tonight...

ndebord
June 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
That would be a good decision, I think.

Judy,

You know? Now that I think about it, DH this year for Posada and occasional catcher. Matsui and Posada splitting DH sounds good to me. Cervelli's importance has been missed. He frames the ball, he throws well to second and he is exceptional in his pitch calling: all aspects of catching that Posada has never been known for (and he was hitting .370 before being sat down, although not the hitter that Posada is, he hits enough doubles to stick imo.

Meanwhile, it looks to me as though Petitte has a bad enough back to sit down. And that means Hughes takes his spot for a bit...

P.S. I remember the end of Girardi's career when he had to split work with Posada.

Mike Landi
June 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Judy,

You know? Now that I think about it, DH this year for Posada and occasional catcher. Matsui and Posada splitting DH sounds good to me. Cervelli's importance has been missed. He frames the ball, he throws well to second and he is exceptional in his pitch calling: all aspects of catching that Posada has never been known for (and he was hitting .370 before being sat down, although not the hitter that Posada is, he hits enough doubles to stick imo.

Meanwhile, it looks to me as though Petitte has a bad enough back to sit down. And that means Hughes takes his spot for a bit...

P.S. I remember the end of Girardi's career when he had to split work with Posada.
I think Posada should tutor Cervelli ad Petitte should skip a start. His back was obviously barking at him yesterday and it showed.

A-Rod did not look good yesterday, but I think that was more the pitching than the batter.

Mike Landi
June 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Well, let's see what happens with Andy. He sure wasn't dandy out there tonight...
Andy + cold weather + delay starting the game = bad start

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Meanwhile, it looks to me as though Petitte has a bad enough back to sit down. And that means Hughes takes his spot for a bit...Yep. He's not young enough to heal fast any more.

ndebord
June 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I think Posada should tutor Cervelli ad Petitte should skip a start. His back was obviously barking at him yesterday and it showed.

A-Rod did not look good yesterday, but I think that was more the pitching than the batter.

Mike,

Posada wants to catch 100% of the time and is not the teacher that Girardi was back in the day. As for Petitte, as Judy, said, let us hope it was the weather.

ndebord
June 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Yep. He's not young enough to heal fast any more.

Judy,

Tell me about it! It's good that the Yankees have 6 starters (7 if you count Aceves) in the bigs!

Mike Landi
June 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Mike,

Posada wants to catch 100% of the time and is not the teacher that Girardi was back in the day. As for Petitte, as Judy, said, let us hope it was the weather.
Posada may not want to, but Giradi may tell him he has to.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Tell me about it! It's good that the Yankees have 6 starters (7 if you count Aceves) in the bigs!I'm not sure how to count these days. Wang looked okay today but not great. Andy is hurting.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Posada may not want to, but Giradi may tell him he has to.I get the sense that Girardi doesn't like making decisions... a heck of a note for somebody who's paid to manage.

ndebord
June 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Mike,

How right you are. Cervelli started tonight and did good. Wang, OTOH, did bad. The silver lining? He had his velocity and his sinker did sink (sometimes), but when it did, he bounced it at the plate and when it didn't sink, Texas got intimately familiar with "Da Bronx Bandbox" syndrome.

ndebord
June 4th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I get the sense that Girardi doesn't like making decisions... a heck of a note for somebody who's paid to manage.

Judy,

I think he is much better than last year. It can't be easy with the Da Baby Bosses looking over your shoulder. Time will tell... meanwhile, sans Manny, Joe Torre has the Dodgers in first place in the west!

Mike Landi
June 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Mike,

How right you are. Cervelli started tonight and did good. Wang, OTOH, did bad. The silver lining? He had his velocity and his sinker did sink (sometimes), but when it did, he bounced it at the plate and when it didn't sink, Texas got intimately familiar with "Da Bronx Bandbox" syndrome.
I think Wang needs one more start to get back to full speed. He was good in the first two innings, but came apart later. His stuff was back. I think the rest is strengthening and confidence.

He gets thrown into the fire next week. Girardi said Wand is starting next Tuesday against Boston.

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
meanwhile, sans Manny, Joe Torre has the Dodgers in first place in the west!Don't look now but he's had them in first place all season...

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I think Wang needs one more start to get back to full speed.Let's hope that's all it takes!

ndebord
June 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Mike,

My suspicions about Jorge seem to have foundation. This from the Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/sports/baseball/16yanks.html?em

"One unsettling fact for the Yankees is the difference when Jorge Posada catches. With Posada behind the plate, the Yankees’ pitchers have a 6.31 E.R.A. The combined E.R.A. with Francisco Cervelli, Jose Molina and Kevin Cash is 3.81."

(Guess who has caught ALL of Wang's games? SIGH