PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day 2009

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I wanted to pay my respects today to all of the men and women of my family who have served from 1776 through to today and to all of the men and women throughout our nation’s history who have worn the uniform in times of war and peace. I stopped by Quantico National Cemetery on my way home this morning, and spent a few minutes with, among others, Sgt. Jonathan McColley USMC, who died in Iraq on February 17, 2006, at the age of 24:

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/546054260_Qukax-O.jpg

and Elizabeth Margaret Anders, who served as a PFC in the US Army in World War II:

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/546054150_KRRuq-O.jpg

On this Memorial Day 2009, for myself and, I hope, for the entirety of a grateful nation, I thank all of the veterans for your service.

Mike
May 26th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I, too, am grateful for everything our military veterans have done for us to keep our freedom. However, for some reason, this Memorial Day was more difficult for me than last year's.

My father was a vet, and Memorial Day traditionally was a big deal for the family--not because of my father's service, but because of his allegiance to all the vets before him.

Perhaps last year, the holiday was lost in the noise because we still were grieving for my father while simultaneously dealing with my mother's own diagnosis of lung cancer.

I tried to keep myself busy, and when Brent had one of his frequent moments of spontaneity and suggested a BBQ to which we could invite a couple of neighbors, I didn't protest--I set aside the plans I'd made so we could prepare. Even still, when the evening news showed a story about the vets' cemetaries, I pretty much came undone.

I'm over it now (and I'm not soliciting for sympathy or condolences), but it was a rough time.

Judy G. Russell
May 26th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I, too, am grateful for everything our military veterans have done for us to keep our freedom. However, for some reason, this Memorial Day was more difficult for me than last year's.I find it to be very hard to face the first of any special day after a family death, and yours just got delayed a bit because of your concentration on your mother.

Mike
May 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I find it to be very hard to face the first of any special day after a family death, and yours just got delayed a bit because of your concentration on your mother.
D'accord.

Mother's Day was pretty rough, too. Brent even warned me that would be the case.

Then he made me go to the store with him. He wanted to buy MD cards for each of the moms in our community (another spontaneous idea), not realizing the effect on me. (He did apologize later.)

ndebord
May 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I wanted to pay my respects today to all of the men and women of my family who have served from 1776 through to today and to all of the men and women throughout our nation’s history who have worn the uniform in times of war and peace. I stopped by Quantico National Cemetery on my way home this morning, and spent a few minutes with, among others, Sgt. Jonathan McColley USMC, who died in Iraq on February 17, 2006, at the age of 24:

and Elizabeth Margaret Anders, who served as a PFC in the US Army in World War II:

On this Memorial Day 2009, for myself and, I hope, for the entirety of a grateful nation, I thank all of the veterans for your service.

Judy,

Very nice tribute. My family has been lucky. Many wars, lots of wounds, but no KIAs until you get to second cousins. After war trauma undoubtedly, but that is another battle that is particularly prevalent in this generation's wars.

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
D'accord. Mother's Day was pretty rough, too. Brent even warned me that would be the case. Then he made me go to the store with him. He wanted to buy MD cards for each of the moms in our community (another spontaneous idea), not realizing the effect on me. (He did apologize later.)Aieeeeee. Yeah, that probably wasn't the best idea he's had...

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
My family has been lucky. Many wars, lots of wounds, but no KIAs until you get to second cousins.My mother's first cousin Philip Cottrell died in a plane crash in WWII. Her uncle John's only son, a Golden Gloves boxer and Naval Academy "drop-out" (he switched to the Marine Air Wing out of fear that the war would be over before he would graduate...).

Mike
May 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Yeah, that probably wasn't the best idea he's had...
Certainly a momentary lapse of reason!

ndebord
May 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I, too, am grateful for everything our military veterans have done for us to keep our freedom. However, for some reason, this Memorial Day was more difficult for me than last year's.

My father was a vet, and Memorial Day traditionally was a big deal for the family--not because of my father's service, but because of his allegiance to all the vets before him.

Perhaps last year, the holiday was lost in the noise because we still were grieving for my father while simultaneously dealing with my mother's own diagnosis of lung cancer.

I tried to keep myself busy, and when Brent had one of his frequent moments of spontaneity and suggested a BBQ to which we could invite a couple of neighbors, I didn't protest--I set aside the plans I'd made so we could prepare. Even still, when the evening news showed a story about the vets' cemetaries, I pretty much came undone.

I'm over it now (and I'm not soliciting for sympathy or condolences), but it was a rough time.

Mike,

It never goes away, that sense of loss. When I was in 'Nam, my "crew" of five guys also went. Four of us came home, but one did not and whenever I go home to Bay City, Michigan, I go to the serviceman's monument where his name is inscribed. He was a fine athlete in HS and met his end during the Tet Offensive.

Mike
May 29th, 2009, 03:51 AM
It never goes away, that sense of loss.
It doesn't, Nick, but over time, it does fade, as does everything else.