PDA

View Full Version : The Yankees are getting better

ndebord
May 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Bottom of the 9th, down 4-2, the Yankees win 5-4 and here is the sequence for those who missed it!

Joe Nathan relieved Jose Mijares.
Gardner tripled to deep right.
Teixeira singled to center, Gardner scored.
Rodriguez walked, Teixeira to second.
Matsui struck out swinging.
Swisher grounded out to first, Teixeira to third, Rodriguez to second.
Ramiro Pena ran for Alex Rodriguez.
Cano intentionally walked.
Cabrera singled to left center, Teixeira and Pena scored, Cano to second. (93/fastball)

Judy G. Russell
May 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Gardner was just amazing in that game. Felt good for him (and great for us!).

ndebord
May 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Gardner was just amazing in that game. Felt good for him (and great for us!).

Judy,

If this aging team stays healthy, it is quite a hitting lineup: Jeter, Damon, Tex, A-Rod, Matsui (normally), then Cano, Cabrerra, and Gardner with whatever catcher is up at the moment. (Tonight Tex hit 3rd as the DH and Swisher played first.

A-Rod broke his slump with a homerun and the Yankees win 6-4! And Tex is on fire. I'd hate to pitch against Damon, Tex and A-Rod with Matsui the end of the bookend around A-Rod.

Joba was OK, 6 innings, 2 runs, but 108 pitches. He has to get his pitch count down and then he can go 7 innings, leaving it to Bruney (in a week) and then Mo.

Judy G. Russell
May 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
If this aging team stays healthy...I just wish that wasn't such a big IF.

ndebord
May 19th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I just wish that wasn't such a big IF.

Judy,

You know? After I wrote that I felt different about this year's team. The combo of veterans and rookies is almost ideal. Cervelli (sp), the rookie catcher is going to be really good. Defensively he is a gem already and he seems to have the smarts and the patience to be a good hitter too. I predict that Posada will share more and more time with Godzilla at DH (Damon too). I would really like to see Nady come back this year, but that possibility is shrouded in mystery.

Pitching has come around. Even the bullpen is coming around. Acves (sp) is special. Coke is a work in progress and Bruney should be back this week!

The starters are all doing well, with the exception of Andy who is good/bad and I think that is where he is at this stage in his career. I wish I didn't think that because he has been the bulwark of the staff for over a decade now. Hughes????? I really like him, but he is acting like the rookie he really is. Not an automatic ace (which by the way, I do think Chamberlin is or will be shortly). Wang??? Was that hip injury real or Memorex? And is he mentally OK? Only he knows, but I sure hope he is back for one very good reason. As a a sinkerball pitcher, he presents a different look in the pitching rotation from the heat that the rest offer up.

I see Pena starting more at both SS and 3rd base, to relieve the Captain who is getting on and A-Rod, who is not 100%. As for Swishter, he is an erratic hitter who is now on a downswing (so to speak), but can get hot at any moment and is invaluable as the clubhouse clown. It is his idea to do the shaving cream pies thing that has kept the historically stoic Yankees in stiches for a change!

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
It is his idea to do the shaving cream pies thing that has kept the historically stoic Yankees in stiches for a change!I think that whole thing is a hoot and a half and probably the best thing that's happened to the Yanks in years.