PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Not Installing Plug In

Guerri Stevens
July 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I went to a site today that required a plug in, evidently macromedia flash player. I thought that had already been installed, possibly by IE or Mozilla, but couldn't figure out what to do about that, so I went ahead and told Firefox to install.

I accepted the agreement, and clicked on next, and it just sat there. No apparent activity. Definitely no disk activity. I waited 5 minutes. I could not minimize Firefox at that point and do something else, so after the 5 minutes, I gave up.

Is there some setting I have turned off or on inappropriately that could be causing this? Some error/problem with the site that provides the plug in?

Gary Maltzen
July 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Firefox may have over-the-web installation disabled; you may have to go into the options and under "Web Features" enable "Allow web sites to install software".

Judy G. Russell
July 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I went to a site today that required a plug in, evidently macromedia flash player. I thought that had already been installed, possibly by IE or Mozilla, but couldn't figure out what to do about that, so I went ahead and told Firefox to install. I accepted the agreement, and clicked on next, and it just sat there. No apparent activity. Definitely no disk activity. I waited 5 minutes. I could not minimize Firefox at that point and do something else, so after the 5 minutes, I gave up.
This is yet another case where getting the offline installer rather than depending on the online installer would have prevented the problem. Plus if you get the offline installer and there's any problem later you can uninstall and reinstall without going back online.

Guerri Stevens
July 27th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Thank you - I checked, and the "allow web sites to install" was unchecked. I checked it but haven't been back to the site to try it. Um, maybe I'm being picky, but don't you think that in this situation, an error or warning message should have been displayed?

Guerri Stevens
July 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
This is yet another case where getting the offline installer rather than depending on the online installer would have prevented the problem. Plus if you get the offline installer and there's any problem later you can uninstall and reinstall without going back online.
There was no option to download an offline installer.

Judy G. Russell
July 28th, 2005, 08:40 AM
There was no option to download an offline installer.
Not when you go from the "give me this plug-in" link. But if you know you need a plug-in, go to the homepage of the plug-in manufacturer and you'll find the offline installer there. (At least I've never come across a place that didn't have one!)