PDA

View Full Version : Chinese ordered to smoke more to boost economy

Mike
May 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
From The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5271376/Chinese-ordered-to-smoke-more-to-boost-economy.html):
Chinese ordered to smoke more to boost economy

Local government officials in China have been ordered to smoke nearly a quarter of a million packs of cigarettes in a move to boost the local economy during the global financial crisis.

By Peter Foster in Beijing
Last Updated: 7:45AM BST 04 May 2009

The edict, issued by officials in Hubei province in central China, threatens to fine officials who "fail to meet their targets" or are caught smoking rival brands manufactured in neighbouring provinces.

Even local schools have been issued with a smoking quota for teachers, while one village was ordered to purchase 400 cartons of cigarettes a year for its officials, according to the local government's website.

The move, which flies in the face of national anti-smoking policies set in Beijing, is aimed at boosting tax revenues and protecting local manufacturers from outside competition from China's 100 cigarette makers.
In total, officials have been ordered to puff their way through 230,000 packs of Hubei-branded cigarettes worth £400,000.

China's government has ordered massive government spending at both national and provincial levels to prop up the economy following plummeting demand for Chinese exports abroad, however imposing a cigarette quota is unusual.

"The regulation will boost the local economy via the cigarette tax," said Chen Nianzu, a member of the Gong'an cigarette market supervision team.
China has 350 million smokers, about a million of whom die each year from smoking-related illnesses. Despite anti-smoking campaigns, cigarette taxes form a major component of China's annual tax-take at local level.

Local authorities in Gong'an county are taking the cigarette quota seriously and have established a "special taskforce" to enforce it.

According to a local newspaper account, a teacher from a village middle school said officials burst unannounced into the school at around 3pm one afternoon and started sifting through the ashtray and bins in the staff-room.

Three "non-compliant" cigarette butts were discovered by the "cigarette marketing consolidate team" which informed the teacher he had violated the related civil servants "cigarette usage rule" After some negotiation the school was spared a fine, but subjected to "public criticism" for "undisciplined practices".

sidney
May 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
That didn't last long :)

Smoking order repealed at public uproar (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-05/06/content_7750591.htm)

A local government in central China has backed down on an order which asked civil servants to smoke more to help boost the regional economy, the Beijing News reported Tuesday.

The Gong'an County government of Hubei province found itself at the center of public outrage after it demanded local officials to consume [...]

Judy G. Russell
May 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
That didn't last long :)
Smoking order repealed at public uproar (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-05/06/content_7750591.htm)
A local government in central China has backed down on an order which asked civil servants to smoke more to help boost the regional economy, the Beijing News reported Tuesday. The Gong'an County government of Hubei province found itself at the center of public outrage after it demanded local officials to consume [...]Geez Louise... I mean I've heard of economic protectionism but that was just a tad shortsighted!

Mike
May 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure that would have happened 30 years ago!

When I first saw the article, I'd wondered if I'd wandered to The Onion!

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure that would have happened 30 years ago!They probably would have been shot in Tiananmen Square...

Mike
May 8th, 2009, 02:59 AM
They probably would have been shot in Tiananmen Square...
Exactly.