PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Bookmarks in Firefox

Guerri Stevens
July 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM
OK, I give up. How can I sort the bookmarks? The Help for "manage bookmarks" implies that this can be done.

By sorting, I mean rearranging them into sorted order, not just viewing them in sorted order. What I want is to be able to click on Bookmarks in the menu bar and have my bookmarks appear in alphabetic order there.

Judy G. Russell
July 26th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Try this extension (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/sortbookmarks).

Guerri Stevens
July 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Try this extension (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/sortbookmarks).
I assume you're telling me that Firefox alone cannot sort the bookmarks in spite of what is implied in the Help.

Dan in Saint Louis
July 27th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I assume you're telling me that Firefox alone cannot sort the bookmarks in spite of what is implied in the Help.
Mine sort if I:

1) Open the Bookmarks, and navigate to any subfolder I want sorted,

2) Right-click any entry in that subfolder (or the main),

3) Select "Sort by name".

AFAIK I have never added an extension for this.

Judy G. Russell
July 27th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Since I absolutely DO NOT want my bookmarks sorted alphabetically, I'm not going to test this for you. What I know from prior tests is that the sort feature does show the bookmarks sorted. You appear to want something different, and the extension gives you everything you could possibly want.

Guerri Stevens
July 27th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Since I absolutely DO NOT want my bookmarks sorted alphabetically, I'm not going to test this for you. What I know from prior tests is that the sort feature does show the bookmarks sorted. You appear to want something different, and the extension gives you everything you could possibly want.
Perhaps I am missing something. I didn't find any "sort feature". What I found was a View within the Manage Bookmarks which will show them in various sorted orders. But if I click on the Bookmarks menu item, and proceed from there, they are not in alpha order. And Dan's suggestion to right click on the folder and use Sort by Name doesn't work either. Since it works for him there must be something wrong with my setup, or maybe I'm using a different version from his. Mine is 1.0.5.

Judy G. Russell
July 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM
There's nothing that I know of that will permanently sort Firefox bookmarks except that extension. Try it. You'll like it.