PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Compuserve Classic

Leonard ("Lee") Pilzer
April 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Compuserve is terminating its Classic accounts. More precisely, as Compuserve phrases it, "as of June 30, 2009 the CompuServe Classic service will no longer operate as an Internet Service Provider."

For those of you who want the details, set forth below is the e-mail I received from Compuserve yesterday.

-- Lee

======================

Dear CompuServe Classic Member,

After many years of providing online services, we regret to inform you that as of June 30, 2009 the CompuServe Classic service will no longer operate as an Internet Service Provider. We hope this does not cause you an inconvenience. Note that this shutdown only relates to the CompuServe Classic service. The CompuServe 2000 service will continue to operate as it does today. We're aware that this change may raise several questions for you. Here's what this will mean:

DO YOU NEED AN INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER?

* If you need dial-up Internet access, there are two options you may wish to consider.

Netscape Internet Service (as low as $9.95 per month)
+ Includes 1 month FREE trial!
+ Unlimited dial-up access
http://www.getnetscape.com

AOL ($11.99 per month)
+ Includes 1 month FREE trial!
+ Unlimited dialup access
+ 24/7 tech support
+ McAfee security software
+ Unlimited email storage
http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index3.adp?promo=804302&service=aol

ACCESS AND BILLING INFORMATION:

* The last day you will be able to access your CompuServe Classic account will be June 30, 2009. Your dial-up access will no longer be available after this date.
* We urge you to immediately forward, back up, move or otherwise copy to a location outside the CompuServe Classic system any stored data you wish to keep. This data will be inaccessible after the CompuServe Classic service is closed on June 30.
* The CompuServe Classic Ourworld "homepage" service (http://ourworld.compuserve.com) will also close on June 30. After that date, you will be unable to access or retrieve any images, files, or other material stored in the Ourworld service. Any content you wish to retain must be saved to a new location before June 30.
* Your final monthly charge for the CompuServe Classic service will occur on your June billing date.

EMAIL AVAILABILITY:

* We are creating a new email system where you will be able to continue using your existing CompuServe Classic email address. This new email service will be available to you at no charge - but you will need to provide your own Internet access.
* Some of the benefits of the new email system include:
+ Unlimited storage lets you keep as many messages as you want
+ Ability to receive large messages (up to 16MB per message)
+ Industry leading spam and virus protection to help eliminate threats and hassles
+ Mail filters that allow you to store and organize mail
+ Open accessibility and compatibility with IMAP & POP3
+ Seamless integration w/ AIM for instant messaging
* The transition to the new mail system will occur in mid-May. More information will be sent to you shortly concerning the migration of your mailbox to the new CompuServe Classic mail system.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS?

Member Services phone support will remain available for the CompuServe 2000 service, and can answer any billing questions about CompuServe Classic. Should you have questions about the termination of this service, please contact CompuServe Member Services at:

Tech Support
1-800-848-8990
8 a.m. - 1 a.m. EST, Mon - Fri
10 a.m. - 10 p.m. EST Sat and Sun

Billing Support
1-800-848-8990
10 a.m. - 10 p.m. EST, Mon - Sat
Closed Sundays and all major U.S. Holidays
We thank you for being a CompuServe Classic member over the past years.

Sincerely,

CompuServe Member Services

Peter Creasey
April 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM
the details, set forth below

Lee, I would be interested to see if folks agree with me that CIS appears to be handling their anticipated demise of CIS Classic in a very accommodating appropriate way. Much more so that I expected!

At this point, I expect to continue using my CIS Classic email address (with the numbers) as my primary email address. Still utilitarian plus there's the antique value, you know.

davidh
April 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Lee, I would be interested to see if folks agree with me that CIS appears to be handling their anticipated demise of CIS Classic in a very accommodating appropriate way. Much more so that I expected!

At this point, I expect to continue using my CIS Classic email address (with the numbers) as my primary email address. Still utilitarian plus there's the antique value, you know.From the little I read on the CSSOFTWARE I'm not sure whether both personal address AND numeric address will be allowed.

FWIW, if the new Compuserve email (webmail plus POP3 plus IMAP) works as does a free AOL account, then it may be possible to add additional free subaccounts. So at least hypothetically one could add a numeric ID provided a dot is allowed in mail ID *and* leading numeral is allowed too. But I would hope that the transition would be more user friendly and automated, not for my sake, but for others. I dropped Classic in 2005.
DH

heinz57g
April 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
well, agree with peter that the demise is handled resonably well.
remember, there were people out here that thought they might be
given a 48hr notice ... wasnt i one of them?

called their NL support: not that they knew for sure, but they said the
pure numeric numbers could be kept, 99% sure.

20+ years is a long time for a computer prog, but for TAPCIS 30jun
now is the end. for sure, my last entry will be as close as possible to
23:59:59h that very day ...

it is still used every day, on three computers alternativly (only one
does storage), and at 100mssgs/day average, i would say it still is
going strong. luckily, i am in a circle where pure ASCII mssgs prevail.

anyone knows about a reasonably complete writeup about TAPCIS
anywhere on the net? wasnt there one, hidden in a post, here on the
board? shouldnt there be one?

so, off to drying my tears ... - heinz -

sidney
April 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Compuserve is terminating its Classic accounts. More precisely, as Compuserve phrases it, "as of June 30, 2009 the CompuServe Classic service will no longer operate as an Internet Service Provider."

I saw that too. Ironically about the same time I received my renewal notice for the ozwin.org domain name. I think I'm going to let that lapse, the final indication that OzWin is no more. I haven't used the domain for anything except for a page directing people here anyway. Even at just $10 a year, I can't think of a reason to hold on to the name.

-- sidney

Judy G. Russell
April 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Lee, I would be interested to see if folks agree with me that CIS appears to be handling their anticipated demise of CIS Classic in a very accommodating appropriate way. Much more so that I expected!They're actually doing something fairly smart, keeping the name alive. That's downright shocking, considering how amazingly stupid they and AOL have been over the past years.

Judy G. Russell
April 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
anyone knows about a reasonably complete writeup about TAPCIS anywhere on the net? wasnt there one, hidden in a post, here on the board? shouldnt there be one?There is one in the Tribute to Howard Benner (http://tapcis.com/benner.html) on the Tapcis website.

Peter Creasey
April 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I received my renewal notice for the ozwin.org domain name. I think I'm going to let that lapse, the final indication that OzWin is no more.

Sidney, You and Steve deserve every accolade you have received from me and others. Speaking as a former software programmer/developer/analyst/etc., OzWin2 was a remarkable software package. Totally focused and suited to doing what its best purpose was. Really a fine accomplishment by Steve and you.

heinz57g
April 19th, 2009, 04:13 AM
>> TAPCIS writeup ... There is one in the Tribute to Howard Benner on the Tapcis website

this is a valuable one in its own right, but is mainly about him in person, and malignant melanoma.

no, i remember one that was more technical, on TAPCIS only, when and how it was invented, when
it was upgraded and improved, what made it different and outstanding, and so on.

am sure i read it, but cant think of where it was. might have to look thru my old books.

greetings - heinz -

Judy G. Russell
April 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
am sure i read it, but cant think of where it was. might have to look thru my old books.If you can find it, we'll be happy to add it to the Tapcis website.

heinz57g
April 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM
problem is, that i am 99% sure it was here that i saw it, either within a post directly,
or a link inside a post.

if i find something (it might be a while), i will send it to you by PM, if you dont mind.

jeff, where are you this weekend? if anyone would know, you would.

greetings - heinz -

Leonard ("Lee") Pilzer
April 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Peter,

Lee, I would be interested to see if folks agree with me that CIS appears to be handling their anticipated demise of CIS Classic in a very accommodating appropriate way.

I echo your assessment of "accommodating" and "appropriate". We have been given adequate notice of the change, and we can continue to use our Compuserve e-mail addresses (albeit with Webmail-only access). Indeed, we can continue to use our e-mail addresses at no cost. I will find this especially helpful. When you've used an e-mail address for nearly 20 years, you've given it to more people, businesses and Web sites than you can remember, and some people you've given it to will have passed it along to others. It will be nice to be able to receive messages that trickle-in over the ensuing months and apprise the senders of the new e-mail address, rather than have those messages returned to the senders as "undeliverable."

-- Lee

earler
April 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Not only webmail but also with pop3 or imap by your favorite email client, whichever it might be. Further, the mailbox will be hugh larger than under the old classic. Similarly, the size of attachments is much higher.

Leonard ("Lee") Pilzer
April 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Earler,

Not only webmail but also with pop3 or imap by your favorite email client, whichever it might be.

The jury may still be out on that point. I spoke with Compuserve tech support about this. Although the tech support rep said that further details will be forthcoming in May, I got the distinct impression that we will have Webmail-only access (no e-mail cliients). We'll see.

-- Lee

earler
April 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I doubt that very much. The classic accounts will be moved to the same set of servers used by aol and aim. They will thus have the same features, including better spam filters, higher maximum for attachments, and, one has to conclude, accessability with pop3 and imap clients.

heinz57g
April 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
in the note we all (?) received from compuserve it clearly says:

>> + Open accessibility and compatibility with IMAP & POP3

the dutch hotline lady also stated that POP3 access was included.

but then we will see in 3 weeks time ...

greetings - heinz -

earler
April 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Exactly.

davidh
December 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I saw that too. Ironically about the same time I received my renewal notice for the ozwin.org domain name. I think I'm going to let that lapse, the final indication that OzWin is no more. I haven't used the domain for anything except for a page directing people here anyway. Even at just $10 a year, I can't think of a reason to hold on to the name.

-- sidney
Sidney,
I hope you will still drop by here once in a while. Biocryptology sounds like a very interesting field. Back in 1964-5 I used to work for the National Security Agency in the state of Maryland in the USA. At that time I knew nothing about computers, but I and my fellow workers did use the results of the then probably primitive computer aided cryptanalysis, etc.

sidney
January 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Sidney,
I hope you will still drop by here once in a while.

Happy New Year David. Yes, I do drop in once in a while, though it has been less often than before. The "biocryptologist" in my profile is a bit of a joke - I have a background in cryptography and computer security, but have shifted careers to bioinformatics, now more concerned with the Genetic Code rather than codes invented by humans.

davidh
January 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Happy New Year David. Yes, I do drop in once in a while, though it has been less often than before. The "biocryptologist" in my profile is a bit of a joke - I have a background in cryptography and computer security, but have shifted careers to bioinformatics, now more concerned with the Genetic Code rather than codes invented by humans. I thought the USA PBS NOVA program "What Darwin never knew" was very interesting. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/darwin-never-knew.html Starting to find out what all that "junk" DNA is doing.

It would seems somewhat plausible that for organisms where the full genome is known, that pattern recognition might be able to find helpful clues or regularities in the sections of DNA that don't code for proteins / enzymes / antigens, to help figure out what the "junk" is doing.

Back in the early 70's I attended some of the private graduate level discussions on quantitative genetics and the evolution of altruistic behavior held under the auspices of Prof. Clark Cockerham at NCSU Raleigh. Unfortunately I have forgotten 99% of what I used to know about statistics and genetics.