PDA

View Full Version : I hate treerats

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I hate squirrels, a/k/a treerats. I hate them because they're rodents with bushy tails and good PR departments. Because they're pests. Because they try to occupy my attic without paying rent. Because they steal the birdseed from my bird feeders.

And now I have more reasons to hate them.

There was this treerat, see, in the area under the backyard bird feeders. And he wasn't just eating the birdseed, he was also scaring away some of my nice birds, like my male northern cardinal. That was bad enough. Then he started uprooting my daffodils. No way was I gonna take that.

So I charged out to scare him away, took one step too many from the back door, the wind whipped around and (you can see where this is headed, can't you?)... and the door slammed shut behind me.

Did I have my keys in my pocket?

No, of course not.

Did I have an extra key in the place where I occasionally leave extra keys?

No, of course not.

Did I have my cellphone so I could call my kitty sitter who does have a key?

No, of course not.

Did my friend Paul the plumber who lives nearby still have a key to my house at his house?

YES!!

From before 2002, when I had the locks on the house changed after the house was burglarized.

Did Paul still have the key I gave him when he was doing work on the house after 2002?

No, of course not.

Does the locksmith right down the street have emergency 24-hour service any more?

No, of course not.

Was I able to find a locksmith at all?

YES!!

Could the locksmith pick the lock to get into the house without drilling the lock?

No, of course not.

I now have a new lock on my backdoor. Between the lock and the service charge, I have many many many new reasons to hate treerats.

Sigh.

Did I mention how much I hate treerats?

Dan in Saint Louis
April 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/ProductImages/lockey/2210DCKeyOverrideB.jpg

Judy G. Russell
April 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
[key override idea]You know, if I'd thought of that before I called the locksmith...

Judy G. Russell
April 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Follow-up: those who remember the Great Lawsig Scam (copy attached here (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37987&postcount=7)) will appreciate the fact that the four word response of my brother Bill to this story via email was: "Geez, what a moron!"

Mike
April 5th, 2009, 03:28 AM
We can't put one of those on our house (because it's on the historic register and nothing can be changed on the outside), but we can put a lockbox on the gas meter.

A lockbox costs around $30.

Judy G. Russell
April 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM
A lockbox costs around $30.I think I'm gonna put one of these inside the (open unlocked) garage so at least I'll always have a key there!

Mike
April 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I think I'm gonna put [a lockbox] inside the garage so at least I'll always have a key there!
Good idea. No matter how many contingency plans there are, there never are enough!

Judy G. Russell
April 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Good idea. No matter how many contingency plans there are, there never are enough!Ain't that the truth... I'm going to cover my rear in a number of ways, such as getting a new key to my friend the plumber and leaving my kitty sitter's phone number in the garage where I can get to it when (I won't say if -- I'm too good at doing dumb things like this) something like this happens again.

ktinkel
April 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
We had a lock like that, but without the key — just a keypad. I loved it. Used it for 20 years in Westport without a hitch.

Judy G. Russell
April 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
We had a lock like that, but without the key — just a keypad. I loved it. Used it for 20 years in Westport without a hitch.I may have to look into this. It can't be more expensive than lockout service!!

fhaber
April 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
>I may have to look into this.

Won't the shade of Emma Goldman object? (obscure reference)

sidney
April 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I may have to look into this. It can't be more expensive than lockout service!!

You can always get one of those fake rock key hiders and put it in your garden somewhere. Or one of those fake dog poop ones :p

ktinkel
April 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I may have to look into this. It can't be more expensive than lockout service!!Clearly not. Especially if you consider that you might be locked out in the *** SNOW •••

Judy G. Russell
April 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
>I may have to look into this.

Won't the shade of Emma Goldman object? (obscure reference)Too obscure for me, I'm afraid. What does Emma Goldman have to do with locks?

Judy G. Russell
April 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
You can always get one of those fake rock key hiders and put it in your garden somewhere. Or one of those fake dog poop ones :pI usually do have a hidden key. Just not this time. Sigh... It was my version of the perfect storm...

Judy G. Russell
April 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Clearly not. Especially if you consider that you might be locked out in the *** SNOW •••EEEEEEEEEEK!!!

Mike
April 7th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I'm going to cover my rear in a number of ways ... when ... something like this happens again.
I'm prone to such situations, too. When I had my old apartment, I kept a key hidden in the common areas, and I used it several times.

I realized later, however, that leaving your lockbox inside the garage may not be so good an idea, as someone who gets into the garage could close the door and then work on the lockbox unobserved.

If it's outdoors, it's safer because a perp wouldn't want to try to crack it when neighbors might be watching. You, OTOH, wouldn't draw any attention.

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I realized later, however, that leaving your lockbox inside the garage may not be so good an idea, as someone who gets into the garage could close the door and then work on the lockbox unobserved. If it's outdoors, it's safer because a perp wouldn't want to try to crack it when neighbors might be watching. You, OTOH, wouldn't draw any attention.The challenge for a perp in my garage would be finding the lockbox!

fhaber
April 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Emma was one of the founders of Stelton.

Judy G. Russell
April 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Emma was one of the founders of Stelton.Aha! But I don't live in Stelton any more. I haven't lived there in many many years. Close to 40.

Mike
April 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM
The challenge for a perp in my garage would be finding the lockbox!
In that case, never mind.

ndebord
April 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I hate squirrels, a/k/a treerats. I hate them because they're rodents with bushy tails and good PR departments. Because they're pests. Because they try to occupy my attic without paying rent. Because they steal the birdseed from my bird feeders.

Did I mention how much I hate treerats?

Judy,

This from a blogger who hates treerats even more and wanted to shoot them with a rifle until he was talked out of it because of town regulations. He went out and bought a $35 Chinese "Fast Deer" .177cal pellet rifle (750fps) to zap squirrels in his front yard!

Judy G. Russell
April 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
This from a blogger who hates treerats even more and wanted to shoot them with a rifle until he was talked out of it because of town regulations. He went out and bought a $35 Chinese "Fast Deer" .177cal pellet rifle (750fps) to zap squirrels in his front yard!Remember what state I live in: even toy guns can be controlled here!

ndebord
April 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Remember what state I live in: even toy guns can be controlled here!

Judy,

Yeah... but

http://www.sarcoinc.com/

Judy G. Russell
April 8th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah... but
http://www.sarcoinc.com/The ATF and I would never agree on anything, trust me on that.

ndebord
April 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
The ATF and I would never agree on anything, trust me on that.

Judy,

Just tell 'em you're of Southern and German ancestry and I'm sure they'll accomodate you!

<g,d&r>

Judy G. Russell
April 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Just tell 'em you're of Southern and German ancestry and I'm sure they'll accomodate you! <g,d&r>Sure they will. In Leavenworth...

ndebord
April 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Sure they will. In Leavenworth...

Judy,

The good news is that they renovated the old dungeons in the joint. (The bad news is they renovated them in 1908! Be sure to ask for building 65!

;-)

Lindsey
April 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM
You know, if I'd thought of that before I called the locksmith...

I need something like that, too.

--Someone who has also had to have a lock drilled and replaced after locking herself out of the house

Jeff
April 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I need something like that, too.

--Someone who has also had to have a lock drilled and replaced after locking herself out of the house

I recently had a locksmith here, workshop in van. I wanted two doors keyed alike, so he simply re-keyed one lock; took it apart and made it work with the other key, when I thought he'd have to replace both. Suitably impressed I asked if he could pick locks too. Sure, no problem, if the owner is standing there. If not, big problem, about ten years. After that encounter the need for a locksmith to drill does not inspire confidence.

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
The good news is that they renovated the old dungeons in the joint. (The bad news is they renovated them in 1908! Be sure to ask for building 65! ;-)Gee thanks... I think I'll pass if you don't mind...

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I need something like that, too. --Someone who has also had to have a lock drilled and replaced after locking herself out of the houseI'm glad I'm not the only one...

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Suitably impressed I asked if he could pick locks too. Sure, no problem, if the owner is standing there.Replace the locks with Arrow locks. Twice in ten years, I've had to have Arrow locks drilled because two different sets of locksmiths could not pick them even with me standing there.

ndebord
April 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Replace the locks with Arrow locks. Twice in ten years, I've had to have Arrow locks drilled because two different sets of locksmiths could not pick them even with me standing there.

Judy,

Just did a search on residential locks and found talk about something called
the "bump" key which can open almost anything except Medeco (sp) locks, or so they claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Judy G. Russell
April 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Just did a search on residential locks and found talk about something called the "bump" key which can open almost anything except Medeco (sp) locks, or so they claim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumpingI have my doubts about this, I'm afraid.

sidney
April 12th, 2009, 04:03 AM
"bump" key which can open almost anything except Medeco (sp) locks

Some YouTube videos:

Medeco lockpicking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoISzlkmVdc), an expert picking a Medeco lock in a few seconds

Medeco lock bumping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LH7lrftKA) - A 12 year old girl demonstrates it at Defcon 2007

Medeco plastic key creation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27xCFXdpc-s) from Defcon 2008.

Some articles in Wired:

Researchers demonstrate at Defcon 2007 that Medeco locks can be bumped and picked (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/08/jennalynn-a-12-.html), in contrast to Medeco claims.

Researchers demonstrate at Defcon 2008 (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/medeco-locks-cr.html) duplicating "uncopiable" Medeco keys from a photograph of a key to make a usable copy from credit card plastic and a bent paper clip.

ndebord
April 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Some YouTube videos:

Medeco lockpicking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoISzlkmVdc), an expert picking a Medeco lock in a few seconds

Medeco lock bumping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LH7lrftKA) - A 12 year old girl demonstrates it at Defcon 2007

Medeco plastic key creation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27xCFXdpc-s) from Defcon 2008.

Some articles in Wired:

Researchers demonstrate at Defcon 2007 that Medeco locks can be bumped and picked (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/08/jennalynn-a-12-.html), in contrast to Medeco claims.

Researchers demonstrate at Defcon 2008 (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/medeco-locks-cr.html) duplicating "uncopiable" Medeco keys from a photograph of a key to make a usable copy from credit card plastic and a bent paper clip.

Sidney,

Ouch. What about those Arrow locks?

sidney
April 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
What about those Arrow locks?

YouTube demo picking an Arrow I-core lock in a Best padlock body (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkazoayEPG4). It took the guy two tries, 45 seconds in total. He comments that "It took a while, Arrows are good locks," and doesn't sound sarcastic when he says that.

ndebord
April 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
YouTube demo picking an Arrow I-core lock in a Best padlock body (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkazoayEPG4). It took the guy two tries, 45 seconds in total. He comments that "It took a while, Arrows are good locks," and doesn't sound sarcastic when he says that.

Sidney,

OK, he said whining.... what to do? Is there a good lock out there?

sidney
April 12th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Hey, you're asking someone who at the moment has a door made of paper (and which doesn't have a lock) :)

I'm interested enough in this stuff to follow what interesting things people are doing, but I don't know what if any locks are considered unhackable. I will tell you a story of my undergrad days, however.

When I first went to college I got a bicycle to get around and very quickly discovered that Cambridge, MA was the bike theft capital of the world and that an ordinary steel cable bike lock is like tissue paper to someone with one of those big bolt cutters. With my next bike I got a U-shaped bike lock that had been recently invented by an MIT engineering student, made of the metal that was used for armor on Navy ships and with the same rotary tumbler Ace locks with the cylindrical keys that you see on vending machines. It did turn out that with naive new students arriving in town every semester, bike thieves preferred to continue to use bolt cutters on the plentiful supply of ordinary cable locks instead of trying to stay unnoticed while applying a welding torch for 15 minutes or whatever it would take to cut this new lock.

However, I was still pretty paranoid and whenever I could I would bring my bike indoors with me. Ever go to a restaurant and try to get a table with room for your bicycle? :)

One day I brought my bike into the commons room of a group I belonged to, locked it to steam pipe and left it there when I went to class. When I came back, the bike was there, but locked to something else on the other side of the room. One of the other students had needed the space, so he picked the lock and moved the bike.

He explained to me how you pick Ace locks by making this cylindrical gadget out of spring steel and little bits that you can move up and down and tighten in place so the whole things is in essence an adjustable Ace key. It takes just minutes or less to get each pin adjusted properly to a lock, then you tighten it and you have an instant key for that lock.

I continued to use such locks for years and my bicycle was never stolen. Not too many years ago somebody discovered that the Ace lock used on the then most popular of the U-shaped bike locks, Kryptonite brand, was exactly the right size to be picked using the plastic shell of a cheap Bic pen (http://www.engadget.com/2004/09/14/kryptonite-evolution-2000-u-lock-hacked-by-a-bic-pen/) (demo video at linked article). Kryptonite changed to different size lock mechanism, but that doesn't make it more resistant to the right picking tools.

I think that it is still the case that Cambridge bicycle thieves carry bolt cutters and that most of the people who spend hours practicing to win the lockpicking competition at Defcon would rather pursue their hobby than to waste time on burglary.

So choose the lock that is harder to get through than those of your neighbors. And don't build your door out of paper.

Remember the story of the lawyer who was on a camping trip with his friend when an angry bear showed up. His friend picked up a stick in a futile attempt to at least try to defend himself. The lawyer quickly laced up his running shoes. "You can't outrun a bear!" "I don't have to, I just have to outrun you."

Judy G. Russell
April 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
So choose the lock that is harder to get through than those of your neighbors. And don't build your door out of paper.Good advice, and according to the locksmiths around here, get an Arrow.

Lindsey
April 13th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Suitably impressed I asked if he could pick locks too. Sure, no problem, if the owner is standing there. If not, big problem, about ten years. After that encounter the need for a locksmith to drill does not inspire confidence.

Well, yeah, pick the lock is exactly what they do, or attempt to do, when you're locked out. But some locks apparently do not pick too easily, and after two guys worked on mine for a period of a couple of hours, they finally said it looked like the only thing to do was going to be to drill the lock.

Lindsey
April 13th, 2009, 12:51 AM

I hate to say this, but the best lock in the world is not going to protect against someone kicking in the door. That is, the lock will hold, but the door jamb probably will not.

Lindsey
April 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I think that it is still the case that Cambridge bicycle thieves carry bolt cutters and that most of the people who spend hours practicing to win the lockpicking competition at Defcon would rather pursue their hobby than to waste time on burglary.

So choose the lock that is harder to get through than those of your neighbors. And don't build your door out of paper.

And that's the whole thing. The best you can do is to make it hard in hopes they will give you up for easier pickings.

sidney
April 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Good advice, and according to the locksmiths around here, get an Arrow.

Yes, to put that video I linked to in perspective, just because someone can spend months studying Arrow lock mechanisms and figuring out the best tools to use and the best methods to pick it and then practice for hour after hour on Arrow locks over and over to develop the skills and then make a video demonstrating picking one in under a minute -- That doesn't mean that a locksmith who does not do that is incompetent at what locksmiths really do, which is to make new keys, install locks, rekey locks, and find a way to get someone in their door when they are locked out even if it requires a drill and destroying the lock.

Perhaps the moral of the story is to have an entry in your phone book for Defcon hacker, to call instead of a locksmith the next time a treerat locks you out. :)

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
some locks apparently do not pick too easilyAnd those are the ones you want!

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Perhaps the moral of the story is to have an entry in your phone book for Defcon hacker, to call instead of a locksmith the next time a treerat locks you out. :)I'll be sure to do that. Right.

earler
April 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
As it happens, we have excellent locks in france. Not only they virtually impossible to pick, but they can't be forced either. Within paris, too, front doors are usually steel clad, making it even harder to break in. When I see how flimsy doors are in the states I wonder why there aren't even more burglaries.

Judy G. Russell
April 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
.Within paris, too, front doors are usually steel clad, making it even harder to break in.Many doors in many US cities are steel clad.

ndebord
April 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hey, you're asking someone who at the moment has a door made of paper (and which doesn't have a lock) :)

I'm interested enough in this stuff to follow what interesting things people are doing, but I don't know what if any locks are considered unhackable. I will tell you a story of my undergrad days, however.

When I first went to college I got a bicycle to get around and very quickly discovered that Cambridge, MA was the bike theft capital of the world and that an ordinary steel cable bike lock is like tissue paper to someone with one of those big bolt cutters. With my next bike I got a U-shaped bike lock that had been recently invented by an MIT engineering student, made of the metal that was used for armor on Navy ships and with the same rotary tumbler Ace locks with the cylindrical keys that you see on vending machines. It did turn out that with naive new students arriving in town every semester, bike thieves preferred to continue to use bolt cutters on the plentiful supply of ordinary cable locks instead of trying to stay unnoticed while applying a welding torch for 15 minutes or whatever it would take to cut this new lock.

However, I was still pretty paranoid and whenever I could I would bring my bike indoors with me. Ever go to a restaurant and try to get a table with room for your bicycle? :)

One day I brought my bike into the commons room of a group I belonged to, locked it to steam pipe and left it there when I went to class. When I came back, the bike was there, but locked to something else on the other side of the room. One of the other students had needed the space, so he picked the lock and moved the bike.

He explained to me how you pick Ace locks by making this cylindrical gadget out of spring steel and little bits that you can move up and down and tighten in place so the whole things is in essence an adjustable Ace key. It takes just minutes or less to get each pin adjusted properly to a lock, then you tighten it and you have an instant key for that lock.

I continued to use such locks for years and my bicycle was never stolen. Not too many years ago somebody discovered that the Ace lock used on the then most popular of the U-shaped bike locks, Kryptonite brand, was exactly the right size to be picked using the plastic shell of a cheap Bic pen (http://www.engadget.com/2004/09/14/kryptonite-evolution-2000-u-lock-hacked-by-a-bic-pen/) (demo video at linked article). Kryptonite changed to different size lock mechanism, but that doesn't make it more resistant to the right picking tools.

Remember the story of the lawyer who was on a camping trip with his friend when an angry bear showed up. His friend picked up a stick in a futile attempt to at least try to defend himself. The lawyer quickly laced up his running shoes. "You can't outrun a bear!" "I don't have to, I just have to outrun you."

Sidney,

Yes, but unlike most, if they want to get into my Apt, they'll need a sledge hammer. This is a very old building and the frames and doors are metal and well done. The lock? Cheap.

Ah.....

ndebord
April 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
As it happens, we have excellent locks in france. Not only they virtually impossible to pick, but they can't be forced either. Within paris, too, front doors are usually steel clad, making it even harder to break in. When I see how flimsy doors are in the states I wonder why there aren't even more burglaries.

Earle,

Brandnames? Please!

Lindsey
April 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM
And those are the ones you want!

Apparently that's what I had! (It was replaced with the same brand, so I hope that's what I still have.)

--Lindsey

Mike
April 14th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Many doors in many US cities are steel clad.
Or made in the 1920s, of solid mahogany. (Ours is.)

earler
April 14th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Fichet is the best known brand. I prefer voss (simon-voss) myself. There is also tordjman.

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Apparently that's what I had! (It was replaced with the same brand, so I hope that's what I still have.)The bottom line to all this stuff was given to me by the police after my home was burglarized some years ago. (a) Nothing -- not even the most expensive systems -- will truly deter a determined professional. (b) A whole lot less than the most expensive system will be enough to deter an amateur. So get what it takes to deter an amateur.

sidney
April 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Nothing -- not even the most expensive systems -- will truly deter a determined professional

I'm not sure if I saw this link in this forum or elsewhere, but in case it is new to you: The Untold Story of the World's Biggest Diamond Heist (http://www.wired.com/politics/law/magazine/17-04/ff_diamonds?currentPage=all)

BTW, I looked for anything on picking the Fichet locks that earle mentioned and found out that they are pretty impressive, but also found someone four years ago complaining about being quoted a 500 euro price to get a key duplicated.

earler
April 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure if I saw this link in this forum or elsewhere, but in case it is new to you: The Untold Story of the World's Biggest Diamond Heist (http://www.wired.com/politics/law/magazine/17-04/ff_diamonds?currentPage=all)

BTW, I looked for anything on picking the Fichet locks that earle mentioned and found out that they are pretty impressive, but also found someone four years ago complaining about being quoted a 500 euro price to get a key duplicated.

Duplicate keys are expensive. You have to shop around. Usually, it will cost less than half of that price.

Judy G. Russell
April 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure if I saw this link in this forum or elsewhere, but in case it is new to you: The Untold Story of the World's Biggest Diamond Heist (http://www.wired.com/politics/law/magazine/17-04/ff_diamonds?currentPage=all)Yep... as the cop said, the best security system in the world won't deter a determined professional!

Lindsey
April 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
(a) Nothing -- not even the most expensive systems -- will truly deter a determined professional. (b) A whole lot less than the most expensive system will be enough to deter an amateur. So get what it takes to deter an amateur.

Makes sense to me!

Jeff
April 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Makes sense to me!

With strategic placement this will slow down even a determined amateur: http://www.defensedevices.com/strobmotdeta.html as long as there isn't even a mouse moving in the house. Even with warning, and in daylight, I have severely startled everyone I've demonstrated it to.

- Jeff

fhaber
April 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I had a Fichet on an apartment door thirty years ago. It jammed up, and the Fichet distributor at the time couldn't help. I didn't try for a new key. I was tapped out paying for a new door.

Cf. Renault Dauphine.

earler
April 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
It may not be completely unfair to compare the fichet locks of the time when the renault dauphine was offered. The latter was a pretty awful car, but the french in those days stuck with french cars no matter what. As for fichet, increased competition made the company update its products, just as renault had to do so. The brand of lock I have is, I forgot to mention, is vak. Somebody tried to force the lock several years ago but didn't succeed. It did cost me a new internal cylinder, however, covered by my insurance.

As for renault, the mégane and scenic models are quite good today and are widely sold in germany, as well as elsewhere in europe.

Lindsey
April 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
With strategic placement this will slow down even a determined amateur: http://www.defensedevices.com/strobmotdeta.html as long as there isn't even a mouse moving in the house. Even with warning, and in daylight, I have severely startled everyone I've demonstrated it to.

I'd be afraid that in trying to fend off burglars, I'd give myself a heart attack!!

Judy G. Russell
April 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
...as long as there isn't even a mouse moving in the house.I am owned by two rather large and definitely moving felines. This would not be a good idea for me!

Mike
April 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Renault Dauphine.
ROFL!

Jeff
April 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'd be afraid that in trying to fend off burglars, I'd give myself a heart attack!!

Perhaps, although it's for damned certain you'd be awake when it happened. I bought one to watch my backdoor during the summer nights when it's open and only the screendoor is in play. I have more than once walked into the kitchen in the morning without noticing its blinking red 'I see you' LED. Coffee was needed as a relaxant.

- Jeff

Jeff
April 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am owned by two rather large and definitely moving felines. This would not be a good idea for me!

You don't want your cats with claws out on your head in bed?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
April 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
You don't want your cats with claws out on your head in bed?I'd really rather not, if you don't mind...

Lindsey
April 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I am owned by two rather large and definitely moving felines. This would not be a good idea for me!

Or for any overnight guests who might happen to be sleeping in the living room!

Lindsey
April 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Perhaps, although it's for damned certain you'd be awake when it happened. I bought one to watch my backdoor during the summer nights when it's open and only the screendoor is in play. I have more than once walked into the kitchen in the morning without noticing its blinking red 'I see you' LED. Coffee was needed as a relaxant.

It's bad enough when a roving spider or a wisp of dust sets off the smoke alarm outside my bedroom door!

Judy G. Russell
April 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Or for any overnight guests who might happen to be sleeping in the living room!ROFL!! Different cats now, but being younger I'm sure they'd be even more acrobatic!!