PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Yankee roster ideas

ndebord
March 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
The latest giggle floating around the Yankees is the idea to make A-Rod the DH next season, while moving Jeter to 3rd base!

<shrug>

Judy G. Russell
March 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The latest giggle floating around the Yankees is the idea to make A-Rod the DH next season, while moving Jeter to 3rd base!
<shrug>Say what?????????

Mike Landi
March 28th, 2009, 06:54 AM

<shrug>
Was that floated by Chris Ruso, or some other Yankee-hating group?

That sounds silly...but this is Yankee-land.

ndebord
March 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Say what?????????

Judy,

I did say it was a giggle! But seriously, one year left on Jeter's contract and he has to move from shortstop somewhere. No team has ever won a World Series with a 34 year-old shortstop... Nobody... Nada... Not even the storied Yankees.

This kid Pena can play any position in the infield (recently has been playing more at 3rd as Ransom slumps as April-Rod's temporary replacement)... Girardi said that he came up straight from AA to the Bigs and he thinks this kid can do it too. Multi-talented in the field, and the bat seems to be coming around. Played in the Mexican League just two years ago. A comer by all accounts... Premature? Hope not. Needed? Definitely.

P.S. "INF Ramiro Pena, 23, batted .266 (118-for-443) in 111 games with Double-A Trenton in 2008, collecting 20 doubles, seven triples, two home runs and 45 RBI to set career highs in nearly every offensive category. Following the season, he was tabbed by Baseball America as the "Best Defensive Infielder" in the Yankees organization and in the Eastern League. A native of Mexico, Pena played for the World Team for the 2008 All-Star Futures Game at Yankee Stadium. He was originally signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent in February 2005."

[http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090114&content_id=3744097&vkey=pr_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy]

ndebord
March 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Was that floated by Chris Ruso, or some other Yankee-hating group?

That sounds silly...but this is Yankee-land.

Mike,

The mad dog... haven't heard that in a while? Didn't he land on Satellite radio? <evil grin> But yup, his better half had some older infielder on the Fan and the talk was what to do with Jeter. Some said this year. Some said next. And the theories went from 3rd base to left field to DH. All said DH was not the place for him at all, but where do you put him? His range to his left is not what it once was and let's face it. Shortstop is a position for young legs. Maybe this kid Pena?

IMO nothing happens this year, but next year definitely. Before they sign a new contract with Jeter, they need to know if he can play another position or not. But then he is the Captain and they want him to retire with the Yankees. The fans will demand it.

Judy G. Russell
March 28th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I did say it was a giggle! But seriously, one year left on Jeter's contract and he has to move from shortstop somewhere. No team has ever won a World Series with a 34 year-old shortstop... Nobody... Nada... Not even the storied Yankees.Hard to believe he's 34 already!

Mike Landi
March 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Judy,

I did say it was a giggle! But seriously, one year left on Jeter's contract and he has to move from shortstop somewhere. No team has ever won a World Series with a 34 year-old shortstop... Nobody... Nada... Not even the storied Yankees.

This kid Pena can play any position in the infield (recently has been playing more at 3rd as Ransom slumps as April-Rod's temporary replacement)... Girardi said that he came up straight from AA to the Bigs and he thinks this kid can do it too. Multi-talented in the field, and the bat seems to be coming around. Played in the Mexican League just two years ago. A comer by all accounts... Premature? Hope not. Needed? Definitely.

P.S. "INF Ramiro Pena, 23, batted .266 (118-for-443) in 111 games with Double-A Trenton in 2008, collecting 20 doubles, seven triples, two home runs and 45 RBI to set career highs in nearly every offensive category. Following the season, he was tabbed by Baseball America as the "Best Defensive Infielder" in the Yankees organization and in the Eastern League. A native of Mexico, Pena played for the World Team for the 2008 All-Star Futures Game at Yankee Stadium. He was originally signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent in February 2005."

[http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090114&content_id=3744097&vkey=pr_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy]
How many players have we seen make the jump from AA to the Bigs too early?

I don't see Jeter's age as an issue...assuming he plays the way he did last year.

(Boy do I feel old. I still think of Jeter as a 'young' player'!)

Mike Landi
March 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Mike,

The mad dog... haven't heard that in a while? Didn't he land on Satellite radio? <evil grin> But yup, his better half had some older infielder on the Fan and the talk was what to do with Jeter. Some said this year. Some said next. And the theories went from 3rd base to left field to DH. All said DH was not the place for him at all, but where do you put him? His range to his left is not what it once was and let's face it. Shortstop is a position for young legs. Maybe this kid Pena?

IMO nothing happens this year, but next year definitely. Before they sign a new contract with Jeter, they need to know if he can play another position or not. But then he is the Captain and they want him to retire with the Yankees. The fans will demand it.
Ruso's on XW-Sirius. I don't like his style. Talks too fast and sounds like he eats too much sugar. <g>

If Jeter's defense drops, I'll believe that the Yanks will want to see him move to a different position. Read that as IF!

Jeter seems to take his career seriously and until I see signs of deterioration, I would not move him. I think the Yankees would say the same thing.

(Listen to me....I talk as if I am one of the Stienbrenner boys! <g>)

ndebord
March 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ruso's on XW-Sirius. I don't like his style. Talks too fast and sounds like he eats too much sugar. <g>

If Jeter's defense drops, I'll believe that the Yanks will want to see him move to a different position. Read that as IF!

Jeter seems to take his career seriously and until I see signs of deterioration, I would not move him. I think the Yankees would say the same thing.

(Listen to me....I talk as if I am one of the Stienbrenner boys! <g>)

Mike,

Jeter was on talk radio in some smaller burg and supposedly said he was OK with a move.... did NOT say when he would be OK with a move though.

P.S. He has definitely lost a step to the left in the last year and balls have gotten through. The statisticians are not 100% right, for all those indefinable reasons that Jeter has given us with amazing plays in the field and at bat when he is needed the most (unlike some others we shan't mention), but even he is vulnerable to Father Time. (And yes, I remember when he was a young player, but then I also remember seeing Frank Lary, the Yankee Killer (Detroit Tigers), 28-13 lifetime record against the New York Yankees.

Judy G. Russell
March 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
(Boy do I feel old. I still think of Jeter as a 'young' player'!)Ain't that the truth...