PDA

View Full Version : Alaska bound!

Judy G. Russell
March 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
High on the list of "things I want to see in my lifetime" are the northern lights. So in about five hours I will be heading off to the airport for the first of three flights to Fairbanks, Alaska. Two of my brothers and I will be staying about 60 miles north of Fairbanks for a week, we arrive there about 8 p.m. local time... and the aurora forecast from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. local time is very very good.

Don't know how much -- if any -- internet access we'll have but I'll lete everyone know as soon as possible whether we got to see the lights or not!

Lindsey
March 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM
High on the list of "things I want to see in my lifetime" are the northern lights. So in about five hours I will be heading off to the airport for the first of three flights to Fairbanks, Alaska. Two of my brothers and I will be staying about 60 miles north of Fairbanks for a week, we arrive there about 8 p.m. local time... and the aurora forecast from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. local time is very very good.

Don't know how much -- if any -- internet access we'll have but I'll lete everyone know as soon as possible whether we got to see the lights or not!

I am so jealous!! I have always wanted to see Alaska, but the best chance I have had of that so far didn't come close to panning out for a number of reasons.

Wave to Governor Mooseburger and to Vladimir Putin's flying head if you spot them!

Mike
March 14th, 2009, 03:22 AM
So in about five hours I will be heading off to the airport for the first of three flights to Fairbanks, Alaska.
You're flying there three times? <g>

Hope you have a good time!

Oh, and <brrr!>

ktinkel
March 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Have fun, and good luck for the northern lights.

Will you travel around on any of these trips? Fairbanks is like Albany, culturally speaking.

ndebord
March 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Have fun, and good luck for the northern lights.

Will you travel around on any of these trips? Fairbanks is like Albany, culturally speaking.

ROFL!

Lindsey
March 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
You're flying there three times? <g>

Maybe they're hunting wolves. Or maybe they just can't get enough of Putin's flying head.

Mike
March 17th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Or maybe they just can't get enough of Putin's flying head.
Maybe it takes that many attempts for Judy to get a good photo of it?

Lindsey
March 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Maybe it takes that many attempts for Judy to get a good photo of it?

Well, maybe only that she wants to get it from several different angles, and maybe with different lightings as well.

Mike
March 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Well, maybe only that she wants to get it from several different angles, and maybe with different lightings as well.
Maybe? MAYBE? We're talking about Judy...

Lindsey
March 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Maybe? MAYBE? We're talking about Judy...

LOL!!!

Judy G. Russell
March 22nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I am so jealous!! I have always wanted to see AlaskaI'm not convinced it's possible to SEE Alaska in March. It's so cold my glasses were perpetually fogged up by my breath...

Judy G. Russell
March 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Have fun, and good luck for the northern lights.Thanks! Our luck was pretty good overall.

Will you travel around on any of these trips? Fairbanks is like Albany, culturally speaking.One trip into Fairbanks for the Museum of the North (complete with, no foolin', a moose on the "lawn" -- or at least what I assume would be a lawn if it weren't covered by six feet of snow) and the International Ice Sculpture Championship!

Judy G. Russell
March 22nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe? MAYBE? We're talking about Judy...Now now... you can't do that much when the tripod is so cold it won't change position!

Mike
March 23rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
... the tripod is so cold it won't change position!
<shiver!>

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
<shiver!>Shivering is one of the things we did a lot of...

ktinkel
March 23rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
One trip into Fairbanks for the Museum of the North (complete with, no foolin', a moose on the "lawn" -- or at least what I assume would be a lawn if it weren't covered by six feet of snow) and the International Ice Sculpture Championship!Oh, good — you can cross “local Fairbanks culture” off your list! <g>

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Oh, good — you can cross “local Fairbanks culture” off your list! <g>Oh we missed a lot of the "culture." I mean, hey... we didn't go once into the Tribal Courts building...

ktinkel
March 23rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Oh we missed a lot of the "culture." I mean, hey... we didn't go once into the Tribal Courts building...I should think you would have — then you could deduct the trip from your taxes for studying comparative court cultures!

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
I should think you would have — then you could deduct the trip from your taxes for studying comparative court cultures!Somehow I think the IRS might have had just a few questions about that...

ktinkel
March 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Somehow I think the IRS might have had just a few questions about that...Not these days — evidently they don’t have time for such peccadillos! <g>

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Not these days — evidently they don’t have time for such peccadillos! <g>I think they only overlook them if you're a former Senator or potential administration nominee... or both!

Lindsey
March 24th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm not convinced it's possible to SEE Alaska in March. It's so cold my glasses were perpetually fogged up by my breath...

The gods can be so unkind....

Judy G. Russell
March 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
The gods can be so unkind....I suspect they thought I was tempting fate too much, given my aversion to cold. One of my brothers sent an email to the brothers who were with me. It read: ""Who is the woman with you in Alaska and what have you done with our sister?" (He couldn't believe that I -- one who has taken the public position that anything below 70F is cold -- would voluntarily head north in March!)

ktinkel
March 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I think they only overlook them if you're a former Senator or potential administration nominee... or both!:D

Lindsey
March 25th, 2009, 01:42 AM
(He couldn't believe that I -- one who has taken the public position that anything below 70F is cold -- would voluntarily head north in March!)

Well, yeah, I was a little surprised when you decided to attend the inauguration in that frigid weather we were having in January, but then when you said you were going to Alaska in the winter, you, the woman who has written about being freezing cold in Italy, I was completely gobsmacked.

Judy G. Russell
March 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Well, yeah, I was a little surprised when you decided to attend the inauguration in that frigid weather we were having in January, but then when you said you were going to Alaska in the winter, you, the woman who has written about being freezing cold in Italy, I was completely gobsmacked.Well, to be fair, the time I was freezing in Italy was the coldest winter on record in Europe and it snowed in Rome to the point where the DEA agent who was supposed to meet my train in Massa couldn't get out of the city. But yeah... this has been way out of character for me, and I think I've had my fill of it. I'm taking my older sister to Disney World next month to celebrate her 60th birthday... and I can't wait to bake in the sun.

Lindsey
March 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
But yeah... this has been way out of character for me, and I think I've had my fill of it. I'm taking my older sister to Disney World next month to celebrate her 60th birthday... and I can't wait to bake in the sun.

But I guess it's good for all of us to do something a little out of character now and again. Helps keep the little gray cells fresh!