PDA

View Full Version : Balls and Strikes

ndebord
March 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well, here we are fellow fanatical Bronx Bomber fans. Spring Training and opening day just a hop, skip and jump down the road.

Really not much to talk about: the pitching, which last year was really just roll out another minor leaguer and punt is not a problem when you have the biggest payroll and all-stars at every position. It says it all when Andy (sometimes) Dandy is now the No. 5 starter.

Giambi has taken his stone hands back to Oakland. As his conceit always was that he was the reincarnation of Martinez, we fans tried to conceal the facial ticks his play in the field engendered. Now first base is in the hands of a future hall of famer. And DH? All Matsui, all the time!

The only fresh face from the farm team is going to be Gardner, the fastest white boy he ever saw (according to Swisher) and he has been hitting this year (unlike last) and hopefully will become a really good defensive center fielder who hits a lot of singles and enough doubles to keep him in the bigs.

Judy G. Russell
March 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Well, here we are fellow fanatical Bronx Bomber fans. Spring Training and opening day just a hop, skip and jump down the road.I have very high hopes for this year -- the big issue these past couple of years has been the starting pitching and -- if they stay healthy -- that shouldn't be a problem this year. The rest of the team looks solid and the team seems to be closing ranks around A-Rod, which can only help rather than hinder. So -- fingers crossed for 2009!

Mike Landi
March 5th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I have very high hopes for this year -- the big issue these past couple of years has been the starting pitching and -- if they stay healthy -- that shouldn't be a problem this year. The rest of the team looks solid and the team seems to be closing ranks around A-Rod, which can only help rather than hinder. So -- fingers crossed for 2009!
I am looking forward to seeing Teixeria play. Having a solid first baseman w/power should really help.

I still worry about the pitching. Kennedy looks good and bad, who knows about Jaba and where is Hughes?

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Teixeria play. Having a solid first baseman w/power should really help.He should be a joy to have, that's for sure (and 'bout time you showed up around here, by the way!).

I still worry about the pitching. Kennedy looks good and bad, who knows about Jaba and where is Hughes?I still worry a little -- I mean, we picked up two in Sabathia and Burnett but lost one in Moose, so the rotation still could be better. But overall I think we're stronger than we have been the last couple of years.

Mike Landi
March 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
He should be a joy to have, that's for sure (and 'bout time you showed up around here, by the way!).

I still worry a little -- I mean, we picked up two in Sabathia and Burnett but lost one in Moose, so the rotation still could be better. But overall I think we're stronger than we have been the last couple of years.
I heard his press conference and it sounded like he is thrilled to be a Yankee. Swisher sounds the same. I just know that we will live or die by the pitching and I am not convinced that spots 4 and 5 are stable. Will Pettitte be durable? Will Joba be an effective starter? Who will be Mo's setup man?

Will A-Rod handle the fan pressure? <sigh>

ndebord
March 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Teixeria play. Having a solid first baseman w/power should really help.

I still worry about the pitching. Kennedy looks good and bad, who knows about Jaba and where is Hughes?

Mike,

Hughes, Kennedy, Coke... Those guys have the potential to come up and make a difference. Kennedy has done better in spring training than last year. Hughes I think could be a spot starter and Coke as a leftie can be either a starter or a relief pitcher.

The Yankee bullpen and AAA staff are first rate, so there are other possible players. I guess it all depends on Joba. Can he be a starter without breaking down? I personally think he should be a reliever and be groomed to take over Mo's spot down the road.

So I think there is at least one spot open for a spot starter/replacement for Joba if he doesn't work out in that role and somebody good available internally from the minors.

ndebord
March 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
He should be a joy to have, that's for sure (and 'bout time you showed up around here, by the way!).

I still worry a little -- I mean, we picked up two in Sabathia and Burnett but lost one in Moose, so the rotation still could be better. But overall I think we're stronger than we have been the last couple of years.

Judy,

Sabathia and Burnett and Wang, oh my...! Three top notch starters, all of whom could be No. 1's on some other team. Andy, a question mark. He says his arm trouble (in the 2nd half of last season) is no longer an issue and he is an inning eater at the very least at this stage in his career IF his arm holds up. Joba??????????????

Mike Landi
March 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Mike,

Hughes, Kennedy, Coke... Those guys have the potential to come up and make a difference. Kennedy has done better in spring training than last year. Hughes I think could be a spot starter and Coke as a leftie can be either a starter or a relief pitcher.

The Yankee bullpen and AAA staff are first rate, so there are other possible players. I guess it all depends on Joba. Can he be a starter without breaking down? I personally think he should be a reliever and be groomed to take over Mo's spot down the road.

So I think there is at least one spot open for a spot starter/replacement for Joba if he doesn't work out in that role and somebody good available internally from the minors.
...and now the injury fun begins. A-Rod needs surgery. Out 10 weeks. Check the NYNews. (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/03/05/2009-03-05_alex_rodriguez_needs_hip_surgery_and_cou.html)

ndebord
March 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
...and now the injury fun begins. A-Rod needs surgery. Out 10 weeks. Check the NYNews. (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/03/05/2009-03-05_alex_rodriguez_needs_hip_surgery_and_cou.html)

Mike,

Out four months is what they say now and they claim he will play through the injury, but Lowell tried to do that last year with Beantown and he was just a shade of his previous self.

Ransom?

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
...and now the injury fun begins. A-Rod needs surgery. Out 10 weeks. Check the NYNews. (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/03/05/2009-03-05_alex_rodriguez_needs_hip_surgery_and_cou.html)T he news tonight is that he's going to postpone the surgery and try to play through the season. Eeeeep!

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Ransom?Pay one? To whom for whom? (So who is this guy Ransom anyway? He's played all of seven whole MLB games at 3d base???)

Mike Landi
March 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Mike,

Out four months is what they say now and they claim he will play through the injury, but Lowell tried to do that last year with Beantown and he was just a shade of his previous self.

Ransom?
I don't know enough about this injury to know how it will affect him. Is this going to affect his swing more than his fielding? I just don't know.

Bitten by the injury bug already, and it is not Spring yet....<sigh>

Mike Landi
March 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
The news tonight is that he's going to postpone the surgery and try to play through the season. Eeeeep!
This is not a good sign for the year. Imagine him having a good year, and then going down in September.....<ugh!>

Judy G. Russell
March 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM
This is not a good sign for the year. Imagine him having a good year, and then going down in September.....<ugh!>That would be verrrrrry scary!

Mike Landi
March 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
That would be verrrrrry scary!
Girardi is also worried. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-a-rodship&prov=ap&type=lgns

Judy G. Russell
March 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Girardi is also worried. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-a-rodship&prov=ap&type=lgnsHe's got good reason to be worried. We have Posada coming back from offseason surgery. Mariano coming back from offseason surgery. And now this? Eeeep!

Mike Landi
March 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
He's got good reason to be worried. We have Posada coming back from offseason surgery. Mariano coming back from offseason surgery. And now this? Eeeep!
Durability is going to be the issue this year. September may be very spooky. I hope we can build a lead before then and relax a little when the rosters expand. (I know, I'm dreaming.) The injury bug is going to haunt this team.

Judy G. Russell
March 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Durability is going to be the issue this year. September may be very spooky. I hope we can build a lead before then and relax a little when the rosters expand. (I know, I'm dreaming.) The injury bug is going to haunt this team.The only really good thing is that I don't see any other team that is THAT much better off than we are on this count.

Mike Landi
March 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
The only really good thing is that I don't see any other team that is THAT much better off than we are on this count.
I hear ya', but I don't like living that way. Love 'em or hate 'em, A-Rod is potent force on both sides of the field. If we don't have him, we are hurting at clean up and at third.

Dam*!

ndebord
March 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
This is not a good sign for the year. Imagine him having a good year, and then going down in September.....<ugh!>

Mike,

If he doesn't go down in September, he will anyhow in October!

<sigh>

ndebord
March 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
He's got good reason to be worried. We have Posada coming back from offseason surgery. Mariano coming back from offseason surgery. And now this? Eeeep!

Judy,

Sooner or later Posada is going to have to do something other than catch. He has never been a great defensive catcher. As for Mariano, everybody says he is 100% and perhaps this is the year he finally uses that changeup that everybody says is now a really good pitch for him, but being the great pitcher that he is, he has been saving it for a rainy day. Imagine mixing in something that shows up at the plate at 80 when everything else is 90 plus.

Mike Landi
March 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Mike,

If he doesn't go down in September, he will anyhow in October!

<sigh>
<wince>!

Judy G. Russell
March 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I hear ya', but I don't like living that way. Love 'em or hate 'em, A-Rod is potent force on both sides of the field. If we don't have him, we are hurting at clean up and at third. Dam*!I know, I know. Trust me -- I don't much like it myself.

Judy G. Russell
March 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
If he doesn't go down in September, he will anyhow in October! <sigh>Ouch... ouch...

Judy G. Russell
March 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Sooner or later Posada is going to have to do something other than catch. He has never been a great defensive catcher. Something other than catch? In baseball?

As for Mariano, everybody says he is 100% and perhaps this is the year he finally uses that changeup that everybody says is now a really good pitch for him, but being the great pitcher that he is, he has been saving it for a rainy day. Imagine mixing in something that shows up at the plate at 80 when everything else is 90 plus.Wouldn't that be sweet...?

ndebord
March 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Something other than catch? In baseball?

Wouldn't that be sweet...?

Judy,

It's too early to tell if this is the year or not, BUT... He hasn't progressed to the point where radar guns will tell you his true velocity (this year). Because of the surgery, he didn't get in his off-season work, so he has to build up his arm strength entirely in camp this year and he is a year older. But then he has been unique. The best relief pitcher in baseball and it is because of his cutter. Having said that, he has changed speeds and location on his fastball as he throws a really good 2 and 4 seam fastball, in addition to that wicked cutter.

ndebord
March 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Well, on the pitching front. Yesterday's game against the Tigers was CC's first start. One unearned run in two innings (thanks to Duncan's poor play in right - he'll never make it to bigs). But the big story here was the bullpen: Aceves (2.2 innings, no runs), Veras a scoreless 7th and Robertson striking out the side in the 9th! And there are others who may also do well in the bigs for the Bombers this year in relief or as spot starters. Very deep crew imo.

Judy G. Russell
March 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
...he has been unique. The best relief pitcher in baseball and it is because of his cutter. Having said that, he has changed speeds and location on his fastball as he throws a really good 2 and 4 seam fastball, in addition to that wicked cutter.Unique is a good word for him... amazing is a good word too.

Judy G. Russell
March 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Very deep crew imo.It will break my heart if we get the pitching this year and the hitting falls apart...

Mike Landi
March 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well, on the pitching front. Yesterday's game against the Tigers was CC's first start. One unearned run in two innings (thanks to Duncan's poor play in right - he'll never make it to bigs). But the big story here was the bullpen: Aceves (2.2 innings, no runs), Veras a scoreless 7th and Robertson striking out the side in the 9th! And there are others who may also do well in the bigs for the Bombers this year in relief or as spot starters. Very deep crew imo.
I hope so. We always seem to need pitching come July.

Mike Landi
March 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
It will break my heart if we get the pitching this year and the hitting falls apart...
BITE THY TONGUE! <g>

Judy G. Russell
March 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
BITE THY TONGUE! <g>I'm not predicting... I'm just whistlin' past the graveyard is all...

ndebord
March 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm not predicting... I'm just whistlin' past the graveyard is all...

Judy,

I have a good feeling about this team's hitting ability. You heard it here first. Matsui is going ot have a Godzilla year. The japanese press have been talking about his knees and how playing for years on artificial turf caused all his problems. His knees are healthy once again and he is an old-fashioned rbi hitter who will settle in at DH just fine (unlike Giambi who always wanted to put his stone hands to use at first base). Tiexera (sp) is going to be key, because A-Rod is going to slump as the seeason progresses... just look at Beantown and Lowell who had the same injury. I guess we'll see if Ransom can spot play at 3rd effectively, or.... no surprise. A medium talent 3rd baseman may suddenly find themselves wearing pinstripes.

Will 2nd base be a problem for the Bombers this year? Will Jeter's age start to show at short?

Will Joba's elbow hold up for something other than downing shots? <I know, I'm being mean here, but...)

Mike Landi
March 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Judy,

I have a good feeling about this team's hitting ability. You heard it here first. Matsui is going ot have a Godzilla year. The japanese press have been talking about his knees and how playing for years on artificial turf caused all his problems. His knees are healthy once again and he is an old-fashioned rbi hitter who will settle in at DH just fine (unlike Giambi who always wanted to put his stone hands to use at first base). Tiexera (sp) is going to be key, because A-Rod is going to slump as the seeason progresses... just look at Beantown and Lowell who had the same injury. I guess we'll see if Ransom can spot play at 3rd effectively, or.... no surprise. A medium talent 3rd baseman may suddenly find themselves wearing pinstripes.

Will 2nd base be a problem for the Bombers this year? Will Jeter's age start to show at short?

Will Joba's elbow hold up for something other than downing shots? <I know, I'm being mean here, but...)
Well, A-Rod is going under the knife. Arthroscopic surgery. 6-8 weeks out. I think this is a good idea. Get him fixed and have him ready for the mid-summer run.

A smart move, IMHO.

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have a good feeling about this team's hitting ability. The issue has never been ability, but performing up to the ability!

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Well, A-Rod is going under the knife. Arthroscopic surgery. 6-8 weeks out. I think this is a good idea. Get him fixed and have him ready for the mid-summer run. A smart move, IMHO.That's a whole lot better than losing him for the whole season, or, worse, losing him just when we need him most. So... Ransom???

ndebord
March 8th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well, A-Rod is going under the knife. Arthroscopic surgery. 6-8 weeks out. I think this is a good idea. Get him fixed and have him ready for the mid-summer run.

A smart move, IMHO.

Mike,

Ahh? Haven't read anything for the last coupla of days. OK then, out till late summer is more like it. Maybe he'll be better in the fall for it.. (One can always hope.)

ndebord
March 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That's a whole lot better than losing him for the whole season, or, worse, losing him just when we need him most. So... Ransom???

Judy,

Ransom...??? The talk is already about a mid-level player. If they can't get one, then Ransom until A-Rod comes back.

(The latest joke about A-Rod? They call him April-Rod, as in the opposite of Mr. October.)

<sigh>

ndebord
March 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
The issue has never been ability, but performing up to the ability!

Judy,

The mix is getting better imo. Much better. Let's see if Girardi can live up to Torre's legend now.

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
OK then, out till late summer is more like it.No, this is the arthroscopic variety of the surgery. He should be back by June 1 at the latest.

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The mix is getting better imo. Much better. Let's see if Girardi can live up to Torre's legend now.It would be nice...

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Ransom...??? The talk is already about a mid-level player. If they can't get one, then Ransom until A-Rod comes back.Now too many players available right now...

(The latest joke about A-Rod? They call him April-Rod, as in the opposite of Mr. October.) <sigh><Sigh> is right on that one.

Mike Landi
March 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The issue has never been ability, but performing up to the ability!
<sigh> That seems to be harder than winning the World Series. It is always tougher in NY.

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
<sigh> That seems to be harder than winning the World Series. It is always tougher in NY.That's no excuse, darn it. I want another World Series. Now.

Mike Landi
March 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM
That's no excuse, darn it. I want another World Series. Now.
<g>

Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to open the new stadium?

Judy G. Russell
March 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to open the new stadium?Oh my yes... I think it'd be just dandy.

ndebord
March 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM
<g>

Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to open the new stadium?

Mike,

I keep going back to the mix of players from 95 to 2001 and read excerpts from Torre's book. It is all about chemistry and perhaps with the team as it is, the chemistry will be better in the first half of the year. Good pitching. Good defense (at first base FINALLY) and in the outfield. Let's see how the hitters adapt to no April-Rod.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying I'm a tad more than cautiously optimistic about this team's potential in the new stadium!

<wry grin>

P.S. And when you look at the lineup, Cano, Nady and Gardner are 7-8-9... that's not half bad. Nady needs to hit better than he did last year when he hit .330 for Pittsburg and .270 (approx) for NY. Cano? Think the talking to worked with him. Gardner? Too soon to tell if he is for real, but he has been really good this Spring.

Mike Landi
March 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Mike,

I keep going back to the mix of players from 95 to 2001 and read excerpts from Torre's book. It is all about chemistry and perhaps with the team as it is, the chemistry will be better in the first half of the year. Good pitching. Good defense (at first base FINALLY) and in the outfield. Let's see how the hitters adapt to no April-Rod.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying I'm a tad more than cautiously optimistic about this team's potential in the new stadium!

<wry grin>

P.S. And when you look at the lineup, Cano, Nady and Gardner are 7-8-9... that's not half bad. Nady needs to hit better than he did last year when he hit .330 for Pittsburg and .270 (approx) for NY. Cano? Think the talking to worked with him. Gardner? Too soon to tell if he is for real, but he has been really good this Spring.
I'm optimistic. I think A-Rod getting the surgery was a great move and I like the lineup. Nady will do just fine, especially knowing he has a starting job. I think (hope) Cano had the s**t scared out of him and he will buckle down.

My concern is the durability of players like Pettitte and A-Rod down the stretch. It should be fun!

Now, if I can get Comcast to give me MLB in HD!

Mike Landi
March 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Oh my yes... I think it'd be just dandy.
I hope to be there in June. I may be in Western PA now, but baseball lives in Da Bronx!

Judy G. Russell
March 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
All of which is a long-winded way of saying I'm a tad more than cautiously optimistic about this team's potential in the new stadium!.Fingers and toes crossed...

Judy G. Russell
March 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I hope to be there in June. I may be in Western PA now, but baseball lives in Da Bronx!Let me know if you're going to be in town!

Mike Landi
March 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Let me know if you're going to be in town!
My aunt is still working on it, but she has a line on nine tickets. A whole crew of us are (hopefully) going to see the Yanks v. Mets at the new Stadium in June.

....I hope!

Judy G. Russell
March 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
My aunt is still working on it, but she has a line on nine tickets. A whole crew of us are (hopefully) going to see the Yanks v. Mets at the new Stadium in June. ....I hope!I didn't think you could get anything except season tickets yet!

ndebord
March 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I didn't think you could get anything except season tickets yet!

Judy,

Yeah, what gives? Meanwhile Chamberlin did 3 good innnings, gave up one run, Coke did 2 and his Spring era is now a miniscule 1.8!

Yankees 7-1 over Cincinnati (not exactly a great team at the moment).

Mike Landi
March 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I didn't think you could get anything except season tickets yet!
Well, my aunt knows someone who resells tickets..... <g>

...They ain't cheap.

Mike Landi
March 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Judy,

Yeah, what gives? Meanwhile Chamberlin did 3 good innnings, gave up one run, Coke did 2 and his Spring era is now a miniscule 1.8!

Yankees 7-1 over Cincinnati (not exactly a great team at the moment).
I wonder how well Joba will do as a starter. He is fantastic when his mechanics are right. I wonder (again) about durability.

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah, what gives? I have no idea. I've never seen single game tickets NOT be available in March that I can remember. Maybe I'm just misremembering though...

Meanwhile Chamberlin did 3 good innningsHe looked good yesterday. Durability? Dunno.

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well, my aunt knows someone who resells tickets..... <g> ...They ain't cheap.They never are from a reseller. But I just found out that an author I work with has season tickets and he says any time I want... just let him know. I may get to a few more games this year than usual!

Mike Landi
March 11th, 2009, 09:17 AM
They never are from a reseller. But I just found out that an author I work with has season tickets and he says any time I want... just let him know. I may get to a few more games this year than usual!
Should I have put reseller in quotes? <g>

Judy G. Russell
March 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Should I have put reseller in quotes? <g>I left out a comma. The sentence should have read: "They never are [cheap, that is], from a reseller."

Mike Landi
March 12th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I left out a comma. The sentence should have read: "They never are [cheap, that is], from a reseller."
Ah.... <g>

...and you ain't kiddin'. My aunt really wants to take my family and my sister's family to the new Stadium. She won't let me discuss helping paying for the tickets. I'm afraid to guess at what she is paying.

I'll try to buy food but that will probably be futile.

(God love my aunt!)

Judy G. Russell
March 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
...and you ain't kiddin'. My aunt really wants to take my family and my sister's family to the new Stadium. She won't let me discuss helping paying for the tickets. I'm afraid to guess at what she is paying.
I'll try to buy food but that will probably be futile. (God love my aunt!)Not much you can do when somebody has that kind of determination. Just do something nice for her -- get your own Yanks tickets and take her later in the year!

Mike Landi
March 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Not much you can do when somebody has that kind of determination. Just do something nice for her -- get your own Yanks tickets and take her later in the year!
She'd never allow that.

I try to take care of her on birthdays and the holidays. She fusses at me when I send her Godiva or Harry & David or something sinful. <g>

Judy G. Russell
March 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I try to take care of her on birthdays and the holidays. She fusses at me when I send her Godiva or Harry & David or something sinful. <g>Let her fuss. Do it anyway. (But you know that already.)

ndebord
March 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
It would be nice...

Judy,

Well if CC couldn't impress on his first spring training start, then look at AJ. He was sensational on Saturday. Four perfect innings and only 40 pitches... so good that he had to throw another 10 in the bullpen after his stint!

<VBG>

P.S. Tonight was more of the same as Joba tossed three scoreless innings against Philly... 2 hits, 1bb and 3 ks... Sweet! And the bullpen followed with goose egss all around. (Bruney, Igawa, Albaladejo and Robertson).

ndebord
March 17th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I have no idea. I've never seen single game tickets NOT be available in March that I can remember. Maybe I'm just misremembering though...

He looked good yesterday. Durability? Dunno.

Judy,

And he did another 3 good innings and supposedly is taking advice from Burnett... to wit, on how to throw at 93 instead of 98 and still get strikeouts while saving wear and tear on the arm. And his changeup is now really something special. AND anytime he wants to, he can dial up the speed!

BUT tonight against Pittburgh, not the best of teams, the pieces of the puzzle were coming together in one game for all to see!

Mo' had 2 strikeouts in the 5th. CC gave up 1 run and 1 hit in 4 innings. Godzilla went 2 for 2, driving in 4 runs. His knees, they say, are the best they've been in many a year and I think DH is perfect for him. His ability to bring in runners from 3rd base is second in all of major league baseball (Are you listening Vanity-Rod?)

Judy G. Russell
March 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
BUT tonight against Pittburgh, not the best of teams, the pieces of the puzzle were coming together in one game for all to see!Is it still spring training here? My brain is still frozen and I can't be sure...

ndebord
March 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Is it still spring training here? My brain is still frozen and I can't be sure...

Judy,

Still spring training, you can tell as the Pitchers are only up to 3 innings and cuts are still being made. The Yankees just bought up the contract of a minor league catcher who was once theirs in the past... the rumor is they're worried about Posada's arm holding up to the rigors of a complete season... I think they once again have 3 others catchers available for use in the Bigs if Posada falters.

(All of them backup quality, unless one of the minor leaguers has a breakout year.)

Judy G. Russell
March 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think they once again have 3 others catchers available for use in the Bigs if Posada falters. (All of them backup quality, unless one of the minor leaguers has a breakout year.)Ulp... I don't even want to think about that as a possibility!