PDA

View Full Version : 12.5% of population is CRAZY

Judy G. Russell
February 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
There's one of those oh-so-scientific polls over on Weather.com right now asking people what their favorite season is. Now I can understand -- barely -- why some people pick fall over summer. I can even understand, a little, how some folks might prefer spring. But what the #$%@ is wrong with 12.5% of the respondents who say they prefer winter?

Loonies. Total loonies.

sidney
February 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
But what the #$%@ is wrong with 12.5% of the respondents who say they prefer winter?

That's just half the number of people you would expect if it were all even, so it is an unpopular season. That's just 1/8 of the population, and it might include people who love to ski, people who own ski resorts, people who live in New York or New England and spend their winters in Florida, people who are stuck in Texas and only cool off enough to be comfortable in the winter, people who make their money off of tourists at a beach town but hate their job and only get respite in winter, people who suffer from a combined disorder of both masochism and SAD, dyslexic people who intended to tick the box for "summer" when filling out the survey, American ex-pats living in New Zealand who couldn't figure out which months the survey was asking about, and some number of just plain crazy people.

I can see how that could add up to 12.5%.

-- sidney

davidh
February 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Allergies?

Judy G. Russell
February 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
... people who love to ski, people who own ski resorts, people who live in New York or New England and spend their winters in Florida, people who are stuck in Texas and only cool off enough to be comfortable in the winter, people who make their money off of tourists at a beach town but hate their job and only get respite in winter, people who suffer from a combined disorder of both masochism and SAD, dyslexic people who intended to tick the box for "summer" when filling out the survey, American ex-pats living in New Zealand who couldn't figure out which months the survey was asking about, and some number of just plain crazy people. I can see how that could add up to 12.5%.Then again a great number of the "people who live in New York or New England and spend their winters in Florida, people who are stuck in Texas and only cool off enough to be comfortable in the winter, people who make their money off of tourists at a beach town but hate their job and only get respite in winter, people who suffer from a combined disorder of both masochism and SAD, dyslexic people who intended to tick the box for "summer" when filling out the survey, American ex-pats living in New Zealand who couldn't figure out which months the survey was asking about" may ALSO be "just plain crazy people"!

Judy G. Russell
February 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Allergies?I'm allergic... to winter.

Peter Creasey
February 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'm allergic... to winter.

Judy, Move back to wonderful, wonderful Texas.

Winter is great in, for example, Houston and Galveston...as are Fall and Spring. And Summer isn't bad either for the short time it lasts.

Judy G. Russell
February 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Winter is great in, for example, Houston and Galveston...as are Fall and Spring. And Summer isn't bad either for the short time it lasts.Nice try, but among the places I could never live, Houston is pretty close to the top of the list. Those summers are brutal.

ndebord
February 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM
There's one of those oh-so-scientific polls over on Weather.com right now asking people what their favorite season is. Now I can understand -- barely -- why some people pick fall over summer. I can even understand, a little, how some folks might prefer spring. But what the #$%@ is wrong with 12.5% of the respondents who say they prefer winter?

Loonies. Total loonies.

Judy,

That would be the 12 to 20 crowd who grew up in Copper Harbor MI (or its ilk) and enjoy standing around burning wood in oil drums while watching 500 mile snowmobile races. <g>

(I'm sure I've shared the local joke: "What's the difference between poor kids and rich kids in Copper Harbor?"

scroll down for it.

Poor kids have snow shoes in the garage; rich kids have skis.

Judy G. Russell
February 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Poor kids have snow shoes in the garage; rich kids have skis.They're all poor kids in my book if they live in places like that!

ndebord
February 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
They're all poor kids in my book if they live in places like that!

Judy,

I suppose you also don't like a) ice skating, b) skiing, c) ice fishing d) ice boating, e) all of the above!

Judy G. Russell
February 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I suppose you also don't like a) ice skating, b) skiing, c) ice fishing d) ice boating, e) all of the above!The last one is a very VERY safe bet.

ndebord
February 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Winter is great in, for example, Houston and Galveston...as are Fall and Spring. And Summer isn't bad either for the short time it lasts.

Peter,

Houston? You must be kidding: "oil wells and mosquitos" that's what Houston means to me!

<g,d&r>

And Galveston? Ahhh.... no. No place where storm surges have a history, say I.