PDA

View Full Version : Advice about iTunes?

Mike
February 22nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
I won an 8-GB iPod Nano on Thursday evening, and I'm going to need to transfer my music to it.

My rarely used Mac already has iTunes , but it does not have my music library on it. The library (mostly MP3s) is on my workhorse PC. I plan to continue to collect MP3s, and don't plan to buy AACs through the iTunes store.

It looks like my options are:

Install iTunes on my PC
Copy my music library to my Mac
Find and install one of the iTunes replacement programs on the PC
??? Did I miss anything?

So... some questions for anyone.

Does iTunes for the PC "play nice," or does it try to assimilate the PC, like AOL, Roxio, Norton SystemWorks, etc?
Does iTunes have any "must have" features?
Are there "iTunes replacements" that others in the forum have used and would recommend? If I use one, would I lose any iPod functionality?
Am I overlooking anything?

sidney
February 22nd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Does iTunes for the PC "play nice," or does it try to assimilate the PC, like AOL, Roxio, Norton SystemWorks, etc?

I only really use iTunes on my Mac, but I don't know of any evil features. Like all programs, you do have to take care if you don't want it to be the default application for all of the file types that it can handle.

Does iTunes have any "must have" features?

It does play nicely with the iPod. The way I use iTunes is that I unset the preference in the Advanced tab "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library". I also told it, when I first connected the iPod to the computer and ran iTunes, not to automatically sync the iPod. If you have less than 8GB of music files you might not mind automatically syncing, and just keep a copy of all your music on the iPod.

Then, I started up iTunes and dragged my music folder into it. That imported all the music into the iPod library, but did not move or copy the actual files. Then I can plug the iPod into the computer and it shows up in iTunes, where I can drag whichever songs I want from the iTunes library into the iPod. Because "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" is turned off, iTunes acts like a directory listing of my music files and an interface for the iPod but doesn't interfere with anything else I do with the music files. I don't have iTunes set as the default application for audio files so even double clicking on an mp3 file does not launch iTunes.

The iPod does understand MP3 format files, so you do not need to convert them to the AAC format. Both iPod and iTunes also understand the standard format for the metadata in MP3 files such as the name of the song, artist, album, track number, etc. If you have MP3 files without the metadata, you can add it in iTunes and it will not interfere with other audio players playig the MP3 file.

One useful feature of iTunes in that regard is that it can recognize songs that are ripped from a CD and look up the information about them on the Internet, filling in the metadata on it. That comes in handy if you did not enter the information when you first ripped them. You do really need the song and album titlles and the artist name to be in the files to be able to find anything on the iPod.

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Personally, I love iTunes. It's simple; it works; it's unobtrusive on the computer; and it plays nicely with both the iPod and, if you choose to go that route, with the iPhone. I see no reason not to install it and use it.

ktinkel
February 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Congratulations on winning your iPod. Perhaps it is a harbinger of good things to come!

Like Judy, I let iTunes do its thing, including auto-syncing, but I have an iPod classic with 120MB, so have more space. You can turn syncing off (along with all the other mechanical features) at any time. You can erase the iPod and start over in a new way. Syncing takes little time.

Most of my music comes from our CDs.

I have been converting from CD to Apple Lossless format (which the iPod plays; and I have the space), which can be converted to FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) and then to almost anything.

The most irritating part of the iPod in my (short) experience is in learning how to make it shut up when you want it to. It seems to have a powerful urge to play!

sidney
February 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
The most irritating part of the iPod in my (short) experience is in learning how to make it shut up when you want it to. It seems to have a powerful urge to play!

You mentioned when you first got it having trouble figuring out how to use it... The problem with an "intuitive" interface is that it only works if you have the right intuitions. I found that the only time I had trouble getting the iPod to do something was when I tried to figure out how to get it to do it. When I unthinkingly just did it, it would work.

It has a pause/play button at the bottom of the click-wheel. Do you tend to hit it twice when you want to pause?

Does this video on how to use the iPod clickwheel (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9387_ipod-click-wheel.htm) help? I didn't actually watch the whole thing (I'm on a slow connection right now) but the bit I saw looked good.

ktinkel
February 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
You mentioned when you first got it having trouble figuring out how to use it... The problem with an "intuitive" interface is that it only works if you have the right intuitions. I found that the only time I had trouble getting the iPod to do something was when I tried to figure out how to get it to do it. When I unthinkingly just did it, it would work.Figures. I think I hate icons. Given the choice, I always show labels for icons; if not, I hover until they tell me what they do. No such luck with iPod, however.

It has a pause/play button at the bottom of the click-wheel. Do you tend to hit it twice when you want to pause?No. Clicking twice doesn’t seem to accomplish anything. Click/Hold does make it pause, so long as I don’t touch anything else.

Does this video on how to use the iPod clickwheel (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9387_ipod-click-wheel.htm) help? I didn't actually watch the whole thing (I'm on a slow connection right now) but the bit I saw looked good.It did, thanks. Among other things, the button I expected to completely stop everything is called “standby” and it puts the iPod in that mode. I inadvertently start it up, which annoys me. So I will try using Hold when I really want nothing from my iPod (except maybe recharging)!

Judy G. Russell
February 22nd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Does this video on how to use the iPod clickwheel (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9387_ipod-click-wheel.htm) help? I didn't actually watch the whole thing (I'm on a slow connection right now) but the bit I saw looked good.Aha! I have to go look at that too. And figure out how to make #$%@ text messages work on my iPhone, where at the moment they're NOT working at all.

Mike
February 23rd, 2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks, Sidney, for the thorough information.

...I unset the preference in the Advanced tab "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".
That's good to know. I do not want to have multiple copies of my tunes!

If you have less than 8GB of music files you might not mind automatically syncing, and just keep a copy of all your music on the iPod.
ROFL!

Well, of course, you wouldn't know, but I have 17.5 GB of MP3s, and 18.6 GB total music (including WMAs, MP4s, and some videos).

On my hard drive right now. Eventually, I will rip the 80% of my music collection that's on CD and LP. Some day.

So, I will be judicious on what tracks I put on the iPod. Oh, and I'm keeping my 8 GB Sansa. It's about the same size as the iPod, though with fewer features. (But it can play FM radio, record FM radio to WAV files, and also record voice or ambient sounds.) I'll probably put my "first choice" tunes on the iPod, and put the music I like when I'm in a weird mood on the Sansa.

...iTunes acts like a directory listing of my music files and an interface for the iPod but doesn't interfere with anything else I do with the music files.
Perfect!

One useful feature of iTunes in that regard is that it can recognize songs that are ripped from a CD and look up the information about them on the Internet, filling in the metadata on it.
Now, that will be very helpful.

Thanks again... I'll download and install it later tonight... er, this morning.

Mike
February 23rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
Congratulations on winning your iPod. Perhaps it is a harbinger of good things to come!
Let's hope. We did get interested tenants for our vacant condo--I'm just awaiting a fax of their applications.

I have been converting from CD to Apple Lossless format (which the iPod plays; and I have the space), which can be converted to FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) and then to almost anything.
Most of my stuff already is in MP3 format, and since the iPod plays that, I'd prefer not to do conversions. My preferred CD burning software doesn't do AAC or FLAC that I'm aware.

I'm usually pretty good with gadgets, so we'll see if I run into this problem.

ktinkel
February 23rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm usually pretty good with gadgets, so we'll see if I run into this problem.I used to be good with gadgets, but somehow didn’t get the 21st century digital update, or something!

Using Hold is solving my problem. Then I just need to remember that it’s on when I want it to run!

Mike
February 24th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I used to be good with gadgets, but somehow didn’t get the 21st century digital update, or something!
It's just that your mind is in a different paradigm!

Using Hold is solving my problem. Then I just need to remember that it’s on when I want it to run!
I like the fact that Hold only affects the controls on the iPod itself, and doesn't affect being connected. My Sansa refuses to do anything when on Hold, meaning that when I connect it to the computer, it just complains "System locked" and shuts down again.

Mike
February 24th, 2009, 02:39 AM
One other question, to anyone: I've tried using iTunes to play music on the PC. It seems to be pretty good in that regard (previously, I was using Quintessential Player).

Quint and other players I've used in the past (such as MusicMatch Jukebox) have a feature that remembers the last track I played when I exited the program. iTunes does not seem to remember, and I cannot find a preference to control that. Does iTunes have that feature, or do I need to make a note when I exit the program?

I did find the way to control iTunes with my multimedia keyboard, even when iTunes doesn't have focus, courtesy of Everything iTunes (http://www.everythingitunes.com/os/windows/).

Judy G. Russell
February 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Quint and other players I've used in the past (such as MusicMatch Jukebox) have a feature that remembers the last track I played when I exited the program. iTunes does not seem to remember, and I cannot find a preference to control that. Does iTunes have that feature, or do I need to make a note when I exit the program?As far as I know that o nly works with party shuffle.

Mike
February 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
As far as I know that only works with party shuffle.
<sigh> I guess I'll keep using Quint.

I was amazed that iTunes converted all my non-protected WMAs to MP3, doing a much better conversion than the tool I used previously.

I was not amused that iTunes installed software called "Bonjour" that supposedly will do "zero configuration" networking. I surely hope it doesn't conflict or interfere with my machine's settings, which currently are working perfectly!

Judy G. Russell
February 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I was not amused that iTunes installed software called "Bonjour" that supposedly will do "zero configuration" networking. I surely hope it doesn't conflict or interfere with my machine's settings, which currently are working perfectly!I don't think Bobnjour does anything except make life easier if you choose to use it. See this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)).

Lindsey
February 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Figures. I think I hate icons. Given the choice, I always show labels for icons; if not, I hover until they tell me what they do.

Amen, sister. I'm one of those who always seems to have the wrong instincts. I can almost never figure out what the icon is supposed to represent, even if it's large enough for me to be able to decipher what it is actually a picture of, which is rare enough these days.

In December and January, I participated in two 3-day Crystal Reports seminars at the office. The instructor was big on using the toolbar icons. Me, I prefer to learn the functions using the menus. Once I've got that down, sure, point out that there is a shortcut to it on the toolbar, but don't make me try to memorize seemingly arbitrary pictures (and Crystal has way, way, too many icons to make it practical to hover the mouse over each one of them to figure out which one you want). I was so relieved when someone else in the class made a plea for using the menus! I didn't feel like such an old dinosaur.

One thing I did learn in that class that was enormously helpful, though, was the whiskbroom "Format painter" icon that apparently is a Microsoft standard. (OK, I guess it's actually a paintbrush rather than a whiskbroom; now you know why I can almost never figure out what the icon is for!) I've been using it extensively in Excel ever since, and that's one icon that is a real timesaver.

ktinkel
February 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
One thing I did learn in that class that was enormously helpful, though, was the whiskbroom "Format painter" icon that apparently is a Microsoft standard. (OK, I guess it's actually a paintbrush rather than a whiskbroom; now you know why I can almost never figure out what the icon is for!) I've been using it extensively in Excel ever since, and that's one icon that is a real timesaver.I missed that one too. Guess I should actually pay attention instead of instantly trying to revert to older versions (either because the software lets me or because I just close my eyes to anything new).

I am not irrational. Most of the functions I need in Excel or Word, say, were present in the third or fourth version. Almost everything since then doesn’t actually do much for me.

ktinkel
February 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I just ran into beaTunes (http://www.beatunes.com/), a playlist-management utility that looks interesting (can’t say I have tested it, however).

Among other things, it helps find and repair typos and inconsistent spellings, help find titles of tracks with no associated artist or title, and a lot more. Mac/Windows. Costs $30 but there is a free trial download.

Judy G. Russell
February 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I am not irrational. Most of the functions I need in Excel or Word, say, were present in the third or fourth version. Almost everything since then doesn’t actually do much for me.Which is why I get infuriated when I am forced by buy a new edition that inevitably (a) adds "features" I will never use and (b) deletes or dumbs down features I use all the time.

Lindsey
February 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I am not irrational. Most of the functions I need in Excel or Word, say, were present in the third or fourth version. Almost everything since then doesn’t actually do much for me.

That's pretty much the way I use software, too! I only need the basic stuff, and I have no need of most of the bells and whistles that accumulate from version to version, which I why I am so often way, way, downlevel from the rest of the world.

But the format painter is neat. In Excel, you click to select the cell or range of cells you want to copy the formatting from, then you click on the brush/broom, then click on the top left cell of the range you want to copy to. Poof! If you want to copy to more than one range, then you double-click on the brush/broom and then click on each cell/range you want to copy to. To stop copying you click on the brush/broom one more time. But the multiple copies can backfire on you, as I learned the hard way -- if you use tab or one of the page keys to navigate, it acts as if you had clicked on all the cells you're passing through. Yikes!

The limitation is that you can't use the format painter to copy the format from, say, five cells in a horizontal range and then copy the format to a 100x5 range. You can only copy to the same number of cells as you are copying from. To do the 100x5 thing, you'd need to copy the source range, and then do Edit| Paste Special | Formats to the larger range.

ktinkel
February 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks. I need to fix my Excel, which is having a snit — but it is time to get the taxes together, and nothing works better than Excel.

I am still on Office 2004, but I do believe it should work.

Mike
February 28th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I don't think Bobnjour does anything except make life easier if you choose to use it. See this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28software%29).
I'd already seen that. I gulped when I read
Bonjour modifies Windows system registry entries related to internal network configuration and operation.
and when I read
Bonjour services are installed without explicit user permission and the software is often not necessary for running the programs that bundle it.
At mininum, the installer could have given me the option!

Mike
February 28th, 2009, 04:09 AM
...Excel ... "Format painter"
And in the rest of the suite. I use it a lot in Word, as well, so that everything looks consistent.

Yeah, I know one is supposed to use styles, but it's difficult to remember to create a style for every subtle difference in formatting.

Mike
February 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM
<file file file>

ktinkel
February 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
It's just that your mind is in a different paradigm!That’s a kind way of putting it! <g>

I like the fact that Hold only affects the controls on the iPod itself, and doesn't affect being connected. That would be annoying. No, from that point of view the iPod works logically.

I am slowly getting used to it. I am also trying to adapt to a Kindle.

Judy G. Russell
February 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I am also trying to adapt to a Kindle.You're braver than I am: I want a book I can hold!

sidney
February 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I am also trying to adapt to a Kindle.

You'll never be lost :)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/kindle.png
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. click for details (http://xkcd.com/548/)

ktinkel
February 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
You're braver than I am: I want a book I can hold!Not sure bravery is the issue. I read five or six books a week and am dying from books that get red only once (at most, twice).

But I am not sold yet. We shall see. There are all sorts of issues (of course — aren’t there always?).

I’ll keep you posted.

ktinkel
February 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You'll never be lost :)Hah! We shall see.

Mike
March 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
ROFL!

Brent's uncle is trying to convince me to get a Kindle.

He hasn't mentioned that some books sold for the Kindle cost more than the equivalent paperback (http://consumerist.com/5161348/outcry-prompts-amazon-to-stop-overcharging-for-digital-edition)!

ktinkel
March 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM
Brent's uncle is trying to convince me to get a Kindle.

He hasn't mentioned that some books sold for the Kindle cost more than the equivalent paperback (http://consumerist.com/5161348/outcry-prompts-amazon-to-stop-overcharging-for-digital-edition)!You do need to check, that’s for sure.

At this point, I do not see it all that wonderful for everyday contemporary fiction — real books I can at least donate to the hospital or senior center. But I am trying to learn PHP, and think it would be useful to have a manual handy (even though any book on such a volatile subject will be nearly worthless in 2 years).

A friend on DTP who travels a lot said the Kindle was great for that — he loaded it up with all sorts of stuff and just had the one thing to carry.

Jeff
March 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
A friend on DTP who travels a lot said the Kindle was great for that — he loaded it up with all sorts of stuff and just had the one thing to carry.

From that I figure it's possible to do meaningful text searches with it, yes? On the stuff it already has loaded, of course. Or is it all graphics which cannot be searched?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
March 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM
I read five or six books a week and am dying from books that get red only once (at most, twice).Isn't that what libraries are for?

Mike
March 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
From that I figure it's possible to do meaningful text searches with it, yes?
Yes, one can search through books, and supposedly, set bookmarks.

It also has an on-board dictionary, so the user can put the cursor over a word and get a definition. It also has (as illustrated by the cartoon Sidney posted) access to Wikipedia.

It does have a lot of functionality (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Generation/dp/B00154JDAI/ref=amb_link_83624371_1/192-7527953-8588630?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1WDEREJHK985BDX5RJE9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=469942651&pf_rd_i=507846), but having a limited budget, I'd rather share paperbacks with others, and access Wikipedia and a dictionary from my home or notebook computer.

sidney
March 2nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hah! We shall see.

Unless, of course, you are lost (web comic artists seem to like the Kindle):

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/09mar/uf012501.gif (http://www.userfriendly.org/)

Judy G. Russell
March 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Unless, of course, you are lost (web comic artists seem to like the Kindle)Oh ouch... that's almost as bad as the Twilight Zone episode with the geeky bank clerk and the broken glasses...

ktinkel
March 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
From that I figure it's possible to do meaningful text searches with it, yes? On the stuff it already has loaded, of course. Or is it all graphics which cannot be searched?You can search for text, but I haven’t done anything like testing to see what the limits may be. I will try to get to that.

No, it is not images — it is live text. Magnetic toner, maybe — something like that. The same technology used in the Sony eBook.

ktinkel
March 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Isn't that what libraries are for?When we lived in Westport, we took books from the excellent library every week. Here the library is pretty weak in the book department.

Judy G. Russell
March 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Here the library is pretty weak in the book department.That's awful. Libraries should be high on the spending priority list!

ktinkel
March 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
That's awful. Libraries should be high on the spending priority list!Of course they should. And ours is not supported pathetically. But the emphasis is on programs, not books.

It is also hampered because the library itself is on an upper floor. There is an elevator, but it isn’t welcoming. Most of the program rooms are on the ground floor, and you have to work your way through to the elevator.

Anyway, I love libraries — good ones, anyway. I am not as mobile as I once was, but even if I were, this library would not seem very useful.

Judy G. Russell
March 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Of course they should. And ours is not supported pathetically. But the emphasis is on programs, not books.I understand the need for programs, but resources -- books, videos, magazines and more -- really should come first. Build the programs around the resources, not the other way around.

It is also hampered because the library itself is on an upper floor. There is an elevator, but it isn’t welcoming. Most of the program rooms are on the ground floor, and you have to work your way through to the elevator. Anyway, I love libraries — good ones, anyway. I am not as mobile as I once was, but even if I were, this library would not seem very useful.That's not good at all. Maybe an ADA claim needs to be made?

ktinkel
March 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I understand the need for programs, but resources -- books, videos, magazines and more -- really should come first. Build the programs around the resources, not the other way around.Makes sense to me. We were really spoiled in the other two CT towns we have lived in, one rich as Croesus, the other rural and fairly poor — and both with superb libraries full of books and helpful staff.

That's not good at all. Maybe an ADA claim needs to be made?If I cared more about the library, maybe so.

Judy G. Russell
March 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
We were really spoiled in the other two CT towns we have lived in, one rich as Croesus, the other rural and fairly poor — and both with superb libraries full of books and helpful staff.Libraries have been so integral to my life, and my family's lives, that it pains me to hear about libraries that aren't superb, aren't full of books or don't have helpful staffs.

ktinkel
March 4th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Unless, of course, you are lost (web comic artists seem to like the Kindle)Ah, gee — makes me morose! <g>

ktinkel
March 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Libraries have been so integral to my life, and my family's lives, that it pains me to hear about libraries that aren't superb, aren't full of books or don't have helpful staffs.In my case, good libraries and good bookstores rival each other. But I do agree that a lousy library is a very depressing thing.

Lindsey
March 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks. I need to fix my Excel, which is having a snit — but it is time to get the taxes together, and nothing works better than Excel.

Excel is often in a snit about something, but it's Microsoft software, so it can't help itself. :cool:

I'm still using the 2003 version, and I think that's what's on my current PC at the office as well. The new one I'm in the process of setting up may have 2007, but I'm not sure -- I haven't looked at what Office suite they delivered on it.

Lindsey
March 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
And in the rest of the suite. I use it a lot in Word, as well, so that everything looks consistent.

Word drives me absolutely beserk, so I use it as little as possible. Fortunately, most of what I write at work is either e-mail or simple text documents (for which I use UltraEdit). I haven't had occasion to use the format painter with Word yet, but I have used it with Crystal Reports, and I imagine that it's pretty similar in that respect.

Yeah, I know one is supposed to use styles, but it's difficult to remember to create a style for every subtle difference in formatting.

Not to mention a pain in the butt and for most things, an unnecessary complication as far as I am concerned.

Lindsey
March 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM
You're braver than I am: I want a book I can hold!

Yes! And if I'm reading it in bed at night, I want something that is going to be soft if I doze off and it hits my face!

Lindsey
March 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
It also has an on-board dictionary, so the user can put the cursor over a word and get a definition.

Hmmm. I've lately been reading a lot of P.D. James, and that feature would come in handy for that. Every so often she throws in an obscure descriptive word that is almost worthy of Dixonary. But I can usually catch the general sense of what she is saying, and I'm usually too lazy and comfortable at the time I am reading to get up to look at the dictionary, so I don't bother. I haven't yet decided if I think her habit of doing that is supremely annoying or an endearing eccentricity.

Lindsey
March 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Oh ouch... that's almost as bad as the Twilight Zone episode with the geeky bank clerk and the broken glasses...

I don't believe I ever saw that one!

Dan in Saint Louis
March 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Word drives me absolutely beserk, so I use it as little as possible.
MSWord "styles" cost me about 20 hours on an engineering paper I co-wrote a year ago. More recently, I sent a report to a client in Chicago and his secretary opened it to make a slight edit. Her accursed styles infected the report and changed all the paragraph numbering!

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM
In my case, good libraries and good bookstores rival each other.Tell me about it... and I find it almost impossible to part with a book once I've bought it.

ktinkel
March 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Tell me about it... and I find it almost impossible to part with a book once I've bought it.I suffer from the same pathology, but must, must, must cure myself and soon.

The books are taking over, and many are not really keepers if I look closely enough.

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
MSWord "styles" cost me about 20 hours on an engineering paper I co-wrote a year ago. More recently, I sent a report to a client in Chicago and his secretary opened it to make a slight edit. Her accursed styles infected the report and changed all the paragraph numbering!I absolutely loathe Word. Won't use it if I have any alternative whatsoever. We use a very expensive Adobe program called Framemaker in the office and despite all its quirks it does NOT format anything unless you tell it to.

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I suffer from the same pathology, but must, must, must cure myself and soon.

The books are taking over, and many are not really keepers if I look closely enough.If forced to, I could probably cull out the ones I truly don't ever want to re-read. But I am a re-reader; I have books that are old and dear friends that I've probably read a dozen times or more. Those should be consigned with me to the flames at the end...

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I don't believe I ever saw that one!It's called Time Enough at Last, with Burgess Meredith. Here's the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_at_Last) on it. It's a classic.

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Yes! And if I'm reading it in bed at night, I want something that is going to be soft if I doze off and it hits my face!ROFL! Oh yes, me too, me too!

Dan in Saint Louis
March 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I absolutely loathe Word. Won't use it if I have any alternative whatsoever. We use a very expensive Adobe program called Framemaker in the office and despite all its quirks it does NOT format anything unless you tell it to.
I have turned off as much automation as I can in my copy of Word and it has become bearable, except that pasting in images is far from being as smooth as WordPerfect. However, my office insists on Word as that is what our clients use. I have told the office that if they add any styles or formatting to my reports and it causes any changes therein, it is their responsibility to make the repairs.

Jeff
March 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hmmm. I've lately been reading a lot of P.D. James, and that feature would come in handy for that. Every so often she throws in an obscure descriptive word that is almost worthy of Dixonary. But I can usually catch the general sense of what she is saying, and I'm usually too lazy and comfortable at the time I am reading to get up to look at the dictionary, so I don't bother. I haven't yet decided if I think her habit of doing that is supremely annoying or an endearing eccentricity.

What I lust after is search and replace, in anything by Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is almost 900 pages of unpronounceable and unrememberable Russian names, which I would like to "fix" so I could actually follow the story.

- Jeff

ktinkel
March 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
What I lust after is search and replace, in anything by Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is almost 900 pages of unpronounceable and unrememberable Russian names, which I would like to "fix" so I could actually follow the story.The first time I read War and Peace I had to make a crib sheet of the names (and that was when I was studying Russian, and probably as capable as I would ever be at remembering those names). Just a list that I used as a bookmark, always at the ready.

Judy G. Russell
March 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM
What I lust after is search and replace, in anything by Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is almost 900 pages of unpronounceable and unrememberable Russian names, which I would like to "fix" so I could actually follow the story.I didn't mind the names all that much except when they'd change from Ivan to Ivan Petrovich to whatever!

Lindsey
March 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
MSWord "styles" cost me about 20 hours on an engineering paper I co-wrote a year ago. More recently, I sent a report to a client in Chicago and his secretary opened it to make a slight edit. Her accursed styles infected the report and changed all the paragraph numbering!

Aiyeee! Word is evil, no question about it.

Lindsey
March 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
and despite all its quirks it does NOT format anything unless you tell it to.

And that's the way I think a well-behaved program should behave. It should let the user be in control, not take off and do things nobody asked for and then refuse to let it be done any other way.

Lindsey
March 6th, 2009, 12:21 AM
It's called Time Enough at Last, with Burgess Meredith. Here's the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_at_Last) on it. It's a classic.

I can't believe I never saw that one, but I'm pretty sure I never did. But I may have only seen that show in syndication, because I vaguely remember watching it in the afternoons after school rather than at night.

Lindsey
March 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
What I lust after is search and replace, in anything by Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is almost 900 pages of unpronounceable and unrememberable Russian names, which I would like to "fix" so I could actually follow the story.

Yes! There are a number of novels for which that would be a very desirable thing to be able to do, but probably none more than Russian novels.

Mike
March 6th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Won't use it if I have any alternative whatsoever.
I have to use it for work. I'm considering Open Office for my next personal computer, however.

Judy G. Russell
March 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
And that's the way I think a well-behaved program should behave. It should let the user be in control, not take off and do things nobody asked for and then refuse to let it be done any other way.I couldn't agree more. If only Framemaker weren't so blasted expensive...

Judy G. Russell
March 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I can't believe I never saw that one, but I'm pretty sure I never did. But I may have only seen that show in syndication, because I vaguely remember watching it in the afternoons after school rather than at night.Believe me, you'd remember if you'd seen it. It's that powerful. It should be available somewhere, for download or rental.

Judy G. Russell
March 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I have to use it for work. I'm considering Open Office for my next personal computer, however.Open Office is an excellent alternative. And it's hard to beat the price!

ktinkel
March 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Excel is often in a snit about something, but it's Microsoft software, so it can't help itself. :cool:Tsk.

I hope I can fix it without having to reinstall the whole shebang. Have to go to the MS site and see what it says.

davidh
March 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think Bobnjour does anything except make life easier if you choose to use it. See this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)).
According to what I read somewhere:

1. Bonjour advertizes the presence of services on your network. If any such service is not secure (e.g. password protected) it would make it easier for such unprotected services to be found by evil doers and then subsequently attacked.

2. Bonjour may uninstall NOT cleanly and thus may or may not leave garbage in the registry which may or may not cause other problems.

DH

Judy G. Russell
March 8th, 2009, 09:28 AM
According to what I read somewhere:
1. Bonjour advertizes the presence of services on your network. If any such service is not secure (e.g. password protected) it would make it easier for such unprotected services to be found by evil doers and then subsequently attacked.
2. Bonjour may uninstall NOT cleanly and thus may or may not leave garbage in the registry which may or may not cause other problems.Just disable it (http://wheatoncollege.edu/IT_S/net/disablebonjour.html). There's no need to remove it or use it.

Lindsey
March 10th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I couldn't agree more. If only Framemaker weren't so blasted expensive...

Yeah... :(

Lindsey
March 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Believe me, you'd remember if you'd seen it. It's that powerful. It should be available somewhere, for download or rental.

I imagine there's a boxed set of Twilight Zone episodes somewhere. I should plan to treat myself!

Judy G. Russell
March 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I imagine there's a boxed set of Twilight Zone episodes somewhere. I should plan to treat myself!An excellent idea!

Mike
March 13th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Open Office ... it's hard to beat the price!
My thought, exactly!