PDA

View Full Version : Backyard bandit!

Judy G. Russell
January 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I put a suet block out for the birds to eat. Birds. Yeah. Right.

Ooooh! What's THAT down there?

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/454373393_GRr2J-X3.jpg

Lemme check this out...

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/454373418_3xRFV-X3.jpg

Stretch just a little more...

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/454373443_WhraA-X3.jpg

Oh! That's good stuff!

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/454373470_sCDxd-X3.jpg

Getting up is harder than getting down!

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/454373499_mAEs5-X3.jpg

It's good manners to clean up after you eat...

http://jgrussell.smugmug.com/photos/454373520_z5i58-X3.jpg

ktinkel
January 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM
That is one plump, healthy-looking squirrel you have there!

The first year we lived here we made the mistake of hanging some suet. Didn’t last two days (maybe even only one — I forgot to look).

Then we had the squirrels at the bird feeder. Moved it to hang too far from any launch site, rigged it with a conical cap that dumped off any quadruped who tried to shimmy down the hanging wire, and things were good for our birds.

Then the rigging designed to keep the feeder out of harm’s way failed and the squirrels came back. They are charming — I enjoy their antics — but one or two squirrels can empty a large bird feeder in a few hours.

Never-ending battle. Now we just don’t feed the birds.

Mike
January 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
A co-worker at my last job hung a suet log outside our adjacent office windows, so we both could watch the activity around it.

He'd intended it for the birds, but the rats in fur coats discovered it pretty quickly. Thus, he moved it farther away from the tree trunk, and damned if those rats weren't pretty resourceful (and rather acrobatic) in attempting to get their teeth into the thing.

Mike
January 14th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Until about the last month of his life, my father fed not only the birds, but also the squirrels at my parents' house*.

He put bird seed in a feeder that he designed to protect the birds from all mammals under five feet tall. and almost every afternoon, he went to the VFW and collected the leftover popcorn from the previous day, which he threw on the ground so the squirrels didn't feel left out.

Every once in a while, a feral cat would try to get some of the popcorn for itself, but then the squirrels would band together to drive the cat away. And they often were successful!

*BTW, the house sold before the end of the year--not bad, in this economy! We met with a realtor when we were there at the end of October, but he couldn't list it until the estate auction concluded, which got scheduled for mid-November. The day after it was listed, a relative of a friend of a friend expressed interest, and offered more than we expected to get. FHA processing took a bit longer than we expected, but we closed on Christmas Eve. Thanks to the Useless Postal Service, it took 14 days for my check to travel about 12 miles, but it finally was deposited in my account about a week ago. A couple more residual bills to pay, and then everything in the estate should be settled!

Judy G. Russell
January 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
The first year we lived here we made the mistake of hanging some suet. Didn’t last two days (maybe even only one — I forgot to look).The first time I hung this, it didn't last an hour before the squirrels had it on the ground and out of the wire basket. I then wired the basket shut, and wired the basket to the branch.

Then we had the squirrels at the bird feeder. Moved it to hang too far from any launch site, rigged it with a conical cap that dumped off any quadruped who tried to shimmy down the hanging wire, and things were good for our birds. Then the rigging designed to keep the feeder out of harm’s way failed and the squirrels came back. They are charming — I enjoy their antics — but one or two squirrels can empty a large bird feeder in a few hours. Never-ending battle. Now we just don’t feed the birds.I've considered a machine gun, personally...

Judy G. Russell
January 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
A co-worker at my last job hung a suet log outside our adjacent office windows, so we both could watch the activity around it. He'd intended it for the birds, but the rats in fur coats discovered it pretty quickly. Thus, he moved it farther away from the tree trunk, and damned if those rats weren't pretty resourceful (and rather acrobatic) in attempting to get their teeth into the thing.These little treerats are starting to get my grudging admiration for their agility and determination. That won't stop me from doing everything I can to stop them from getting the bird food, but...

Judy G. Russell
January 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Until about the last month of his life, my father fed not only the birds, but also the squirrels at my parents' house*. He put bird seed in a feeder that he designed to protect the birds from all mammals under five feet tall. and almost every afternoon, he went to the VFW and collected the leftover popcorn from the previous day, which he threw on the ground so the squirrels didn't feel left out. Every once in a while, a feral cat would try to get some of the popcorn for itself, but then the squirrels would band together to drive the cat away. And they often were successful!That's very sweet. I'm determined to find a way TO feed the birds and NOT to feed the squirrels -- at least not without one heck of a fight!

*BTW, the house sold before the end of the year--not bad, in this economy! We met with a realtor when we were there at the end of October, but he couldn't list it until the estate auction concluded, which got scheduled for mid-November. The day after it was listed, a relative of a friend of a friend expressed interest, and offered more than we expected to get. FHA processing took a bit longer than we expected, but we closed on Christmas Eve. Thanks to the Useless Postal Service, it took 14 days for my check to travel about 12 miles, but it finally was deposited in my account about a week ago. A couple more residual bills to pay, and then everything in the estate should be settled!That's excellent, Mike! Being able to sell in that economy and having this behind you!

Dan in Saint Louis
January 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
damned if those rats weren't pretty resourceful (and rather acrobatic) in attempting to get their teeth into the thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01r3jAbwF4

Lindsey
January 15th, 2009, 12:55 AM
These little treerats are starting to get my grudging admiration for their agility and determination. That won't stop me from doing everything I can to stop them from getting the bird food, but...

Now you know why rodent species are so successful. They may have little brains, but they work them very hard!

Mike
January 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
That's very sweet. I'm determined to find a way TO feed the birds and NOT to feed the squirrels -- at least not without one heck of a fight!
My father started by installing a stand-alone post for the bird feeder, so the squirrels couldn't reach it by climbing other branches. And it was far enough away from any trees they couldn't jump.

Then he wrapped a piece of sheet metal into a cone shape, wide end down, so that the rodents couldn't climb the post. And he placed that high enough the squirrels couldn't jump past it from the ground.

The only squirrels that would have had a chance were flying squirrels, and they weren't indigenous to that region.

That's excellent, Mike! Being able to sell in that economy and having this behind you!
We were quite relieved! I check my balance almost every day to reassure myself that it's almost over (there still are a few residual bills to pay, but they're pretty small).

Mike
January 15th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Yeah, kind of like that.

Judy G. Russell
January 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Now you know why rodent species are so successful. They may have little brains, but they work them very hard!They do indeed, much to my dismay! Although I must say I haven't heard the little blighters in my attic since I had the blow-in insulation installed. Then again the reason why they're so fat and healthy may be because they're using my insulation in their own homes!

Judy G. Russell
January 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
My father started by installing a stand-alone post for the bird feeder, so the squirrels couldn't reach it by climbing other branches. And it was far enough away from any trees they couldn't jump.Come spring, I'm going to see if there's any place in my yard that fits that description. I'm not sure there's a spot far enough away from trees!

We were quite relieved! I check my balance almost every day to reassure myself that it's almost over (there still are a few residual bills to pay, but they're pretty small).I can imagine. My aunt and uncle are executors of another uncle's estate and though it's been a year they're not nearly finished with the headaches.

Mike
January 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Come spring, I'm going to see if there's any place in my yard that fits that description. I'm not sure there's a spot far enough away from trees!
It only has to be far enough that the rats can't jump onto the feeder. If the distance is more than eight feet horizontal, or ten feet vertical, you'll be ok.

I can imagine. My aunt and uncle are executors of another uncle's estate and though it's been a year they're not nearly finished with the headaches.
In our case, Mom did a lot of the prep work. She had a transfer on death deed for the house, and my brother and I were on record as beneficiaries for all her bank accounts. She told us which lawyer had the will.

There were only two snags. We had to wait until the house's contents had been auctioned before it could be listed, and I had a bit of trouble registering the car in CA (Ohio wouldn't give me a title in my name because I'm a resident of CA, and CA didn't want to to take a title from another state that didn't have my name on it). Otherwise, we got everything completed pretty quickly!

Judy G. Russell
January 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
It only has to be far enough that the rats can't jump onto the feeder. If the distance is more than eight feet horizontal, or ten feet vertical, you'll be ok.The problem is the property has an awful lot of trees. I don't know if I have a space that qualifies!

In our case, Mom did a lot of the prep work. She had a transfer on death deed for the house, and my brother and I were on record as beneficiaries for all her bank accounts. She told us which lawyer had the willGood for her! That surely makes thing easier.

Mike
January 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM
The problem is the property has an awful lot of trees. I don't know if I have a space that qualifies!
Maybe you could put a sheet metal cone over the feeder as well (sort of an awning)? If the rats jump onto it, they'll just slide off onto the ground.

Good for her! That surely makes thing easier.
Most definitely it did!

Judy G. Russell
January 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Maybe you could put a sheet metal cone over the feeder as well (sort of an awning)? If the rats jump onto it, they'll just slide off onto the ground.There are feeders with those kinds of tops, and I will look into it. But even with the squirrels running around, the birds are finding the suet:

Female Northern cardinal

http://photos.jgrussell.com/photos/455847341_yrKTg-X3.jpg

White-throated sparrow

http://photos.jgrussell.com/photos/455885652_6DWy8-X3.jpg

ktinkel
January 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Maybe you could put a sheet metal cone over the feeder as well (sort of an awning)? If the rats jump onto it, they'll just slide off onto the ground.We have a large metal cone over our main bird feeder and it definitely defends against attacks from above.

It required that the bottom of the cone extend several inches all around beyond the cage of the feeder itself — when we tried narrow ones, the squirrels just latched onto the rungs of the feeder.

But this was the feeder that lost its moorings at the top, thus moving closer to the tree. Now the squirrels find a perch on the tree then jump about six feet upwards and catch the feeder.

But the top cone is definitely a good idea if you can also defend from the side and below.

Dan in Saint Louis
January 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
White-throated sparrow
OUTSTANDING!

Tell me, Yoda, why my birds tiny and out-of-focus always are.

Judy G. Russell
January 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Now the squirrels find a perch on the tree then jump about six feet upwards and catch the feeder.Horribly inventive litle basta^H^H^H buggers.

Judy G. Russell
January 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
OUTSTANDING!Thanks, Dan!

Tell me, Yoda, why my birds tiny and out-of-focus always are.You didn't spend $1000 for a second-hand Canon 100-400L lens? And didn't put up a suet cake 15 feet from your back door?

Mike
January 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM
There are feeders with those kinds of tops, and I will look into it. But even with the squirrels running around, the birds are finding the suet:

Female Northern cardinal

White-throated sparrow

Oh, indeed, the birds will find the suet, but the rodents will drive them away when given the opportunity. Unless there are more birds than rodents.

But as Kathleen suggests, make sure the "roof" of the feeder extends far enough that the little shits can't snag another part of the feeder as they start sliding.

Mike
January 18th, 2009, 02:46 AM
But the top cone is definitely a good idea if you can also defend from the side and below.
That's where the distance from branches really matters. If there's a "roof" over the feeder (with sufficient diameter that the little acrobatic cretins cannot slide down it and grab onto another part of the feeder), nearby trees aren't a problem, as long as there aren't any branches within five-six feet.

At one time, Brent and I didn't hate the squirrels. But when they started flipping the bird at us, our attitude was adjusted.

ktinkel
January 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM
The problem is the property has an awful lot of trees. I don't know if I have a space that qualifies!Another thought — look into the sort of bird feeder with a weight-activated door on the seed openings.

Works for birds (up to a certain size — this will also block the parakeets that are around here, and possibly some doves or pigeons (depending on whether they have been dieting lately!).

And it only works well with squirrels if they cannot latch onto something near the top of the feeder and hang down, thus avoiding the perch.

Look at this page (http://www.birdwatchers.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=VCSBF1&reference=/cgi-bin/shopper%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dsquirrelpro offeeders%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DTemplates/SearchResult.html) (the squirrel-proof models are near the bottom of the screen). Some are pretty pricey, but even the cheaper ones may work in your case.

fhaber
January 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
>You didn't spend $1000 for a second-hand Canon 100-400L lens?

But wouldn't you rather have a hunk of fluorite in your lens than some boring bling on your finger or wrist? You're a woman with values.

(Did you manipulate those birdies much? Any noise ninjas in there? The pictures just scream "two and a quarter" at me.)

Dan in Saint Louis
January 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
You didn't spend $1000 for a second-hand Canon 100-400L lens? And didn't put up a suet cake 15 feet from your back door?
My birds are within 15' of the back door, but if I open it even a crack, they scatter. My lens is but half of yours (55-200mm). Never should have sold my 500mm mirror lens!

I'm going to build a bird blind...........

MollyM/CA
January 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Gorgeous pictures -- did you set up a tripod?

MollyM/CA
January 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
You think you have troubles!

http://mollym.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p325944086-2.jpg

http://mollym.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p150956269-2.jpg

http://mollym.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p456489285-2.jpg

http://mollym.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p456465858-2.jpg

Judy G. Russell
January 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm going to build a bird blind...........Don't build, buy. Check out the hunting blinds at Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com). They're cheap!

Judy G. Russell
January 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
You think you have troubles!ROFL!! Yeah, that'd be a bit more of a problem than squirrels!

Judy G. Russell
January 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Gorgeous pictures -- did you set up a tripod?Thanks, Molly! I didn't have time for the tripod, so I handheld. Not easy with that bear of a lens (it weighs more than 3 pounds!) but I braced myself up against the door frame.

Lindsey
January 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
You think you have troubles!

Now that is truly amazing!!

MollyM/CA
January 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
<Not easy with that bear of a lens (it weighs more than 3 pounds!)

The 70/200? You must work out to have arms that steady!!

Judy G. Russell
January 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
<Not easy with that bear of a lens (it weighs more than 3 pounds!) The 70/200? You must work out to have arms that steady!!No, these were with the 100-400, which is actually lighter than the 70-200 f/2.8. I have the 70-200, but the f4, which is the lightest of them all (and one of three going to DC with me tomorrow).