PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rocks!

Mike
December 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM
I've had a Canon S400 since spring of 2004. I've appreciated that with its small size (fits into a large shirt or jacket pocket) it still takes excellent 4 megapixel pictures. I carried it in my backpack all the time, and many times, it was great to have it so handy.

Recently, I started having problems. Often, when I turned it on, even in bright sunlight, the LCD would be very dark. If I did take a picture, it would look like I'd taken a picture at midnight without a flash.

(Off the point, after it developed its problems, I started using Brent's HP 4 MP camera, which wasn't very good for anything but sunlight shots. It is bigger, yet lighter than my S400, but definitely is not as good a camera.)

When we emptied my mother's house, I took her larger Canon A530. It's an 8 MP, and has a lot of features that I rarely need, but it definitely isn't pocket sized (except when wearing my big parka), so I primarily want to reserve it for trips and stuff where I might need the features.

Anyway, I did some research on the 'net about the problems I was having, and I discovered there is a known problem with the CCD (the sensor) on certain Canon cameras, and Canon was doing repairs for free, even if the camera is out of warranty. So, I called, and a nice man sent me a prepaid UPS return label. Canon determined that my camera indeed was affected by the CCD problem, and it was returned to me this week, in better shape than ever.

Cheers for Canon!

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Canon is very good about that sort of thing, and the S400 is still a very nice little camera (I still own one myself). When and if you get ready to go for a new one, the SD850IS or SD870IS would be worth a look.

Mike
December 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
...the SD850IS or SD870IS would be worth a look.
Thanks! I'm not in the market yet (I still haven't learned how to use all the features of the A530!).

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
I still haven't learned how to use all the features of the A530!The absolute best way to learn is to sit down with the instruction manual and, as you read each section, try out the features.

Mike
December 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
...as you read each section, try out the features.
But I don't want to waste the film! <g>

Seriously, though, that's exactly what I've been trying to do. However, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want, so I only get to deal with one section of the manual, and by the time I return to it, I've already forgotten everything I've already read and done!

Judy G. Russell
December 24th, 2008, 12:12 AM
there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I wantTell me about it...

fhaber
December 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
My method: Leave the manual on the bathroom hamper, and read it every time you (redacted).

Pardon the crudity, but it worked for me, after a month. I'm slow.

sidney
December 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM

If you had to sit in there for a month, you really are slow! At least you had the manual there to read while you were waiting. I hope it all came out ok in the end.

-- sidney

Mike
December 25th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Seriously, the last thing I want to do while in there is take pictures!

Mike
December 25th, 2008, 02:42 AM
<groan>

ndebord
December 25th, 2008, 08:03 AM
My method: Leave the manual on the bathroom hamper, and read it every time you (redacted).

Frank,

No wonder you're slow. Doubt you have a frig in the crapper, so all that beef jerkey has gotta gum up the works, just a bit!

<g,d&r>

fhaber
December 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
That's what I expect on Tapcis that you can't get anywhere else online - a touch of class.

(In case you were dreaming that High Culture might take over the world... Did you know that some iFart program or other was the top selling iPhone/iTouch app over the holidays?)

ndebord
December 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM
That's what I expect on Tapcis that you can't get anywhere else online - a touch of class.

(In case you were dreaming that High Culture might take over the world... Did you know that some iFart program or other was the top selling iPhone/iTouch app over the holidays?)

Frank,

High culture and the American way of life have always been on a collision course. For every gift of elegance from the Gods, we have the mirror image: a diluted offspring that yields a shrub...