PDA

View Full Version : It's sn--, sno--, snow-- there's white stuff!

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I hate winter. I really hate winter. It was 70 degrees here on Tuesday of this week. I headed out the door with a sweater on only to turn around, take the sweater off and leave it at home.

Today?

It's sn--, sno--, snow--, there's white stuff falling from the sky!

I hate winter...

ndebord
December 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I hate winter. I really hate winter. It was 70 degrees here on Tuesday of this week. I headed out the door with a sweater on only to turn around, take the sweater off and leave it at home.

Today?

I hate winter...

Judy,

Went out 3 times today: first time, big beautiful (wet) white flakes, then ice pellets and finally sleet and rain. Wanted to go out again, but the temp dropped off the cliff and it is nothing but ice on the sidewalks now. Reminds me of Copper Harbor!

<weak grin>

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2008, 09:56 PM
it is nothing but ice on the sidewalks nowI have a feeling tomorrow is just going to be a nightmare...

Lindsey
December 20th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Today?

I hate winter...

It's been relatively warm here today, but this morning the fog was thick enough to cut with a knife. And we've had nothing but rain for most of the week, with more in the forecast. :( But I'll take the rain to any form of the frozen stuff any day.

I hope it doesn't get too bad for you up there, but the weather reports aren't too encouraging.

Mike
December 20th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Our weather has been odd, too. Friday was nice in the afternoon, and Saturday is supposed to be nice, but it's supposed to rain Sunday through next Saturday. On Monday and Tuesday, we had rain and hail, and lows close to 30 degrees. Ir's rarely that cold here!

At least our weatherstripping and other preparations weren't for naught!

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'll take the rain to any form of the frozen stuff any day.
I hope it doesn't get too bad for you up there, but the weather reports aren't too encouraging.I'd be thrilled with just rain. At the moment, there are a couple of inches of ice on everything, flurries expected throughout the day and a "wintry mix" for tomorrow. Oh joy...

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM
At least our weatherstripping and other preparations weren't for naught!Yeah, but you'd rather not have needed them!

ndebord
December 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I have a feeling tomorrow is just going to be a nightmare...

Judy,

And another storm coming through "any time now" and so another couple of inches. All depends upon the temperature. My car is covered in about 5 inches of snow and it ain't movin' anywhere until at least Sunday and probably not then either.

Don't want to walk out there right now. Although the roads are mainly plowed and salted, all the sidewalks are either cleaned or pure ice and the corners? Worse.

ktinkel
December 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I would never belittle your distaste for winter, snow especially — but sounds as if you’ve got it relatively easy!

We have 6 inches of wet snow with ice on top and a promise of another six by Sunday night/Monday morning. Another storm is due by Wednesday morning.

In my 33 years in Connecticut I am almost positive this is the first time we have had significant snowfall before Christmas — and we live on the shoreline. I think it was closer to a foot up north.

Jack has abandoned his regular walks and weight-lifting; he just shovels every couple of hours. The car is dug out but not the whole driveway yet.

We don’t have our Christmas tree yet; wonder if we will ever get one!

On the other hand, it is beautiful.

PeteHall
December 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM

I hate winter...

Not falling from the sky... but this is the view from the viewpoint at Kenwood House on Tuesday, where you can look down on London and, on a clear day, you can see as far as the TV tranmitters at Crystal Palace (~12 miles away)

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I would never belittle your distaste for winter, snow especially — but sounds as if you’ve got it relatively easy!I don't disagree that -- compared to what New England has been getting -- we haven't had it bad. But then compared to what, say, the Bahamas gets.......

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
...on a clear day...Don't get too many of those, do you?

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Don't want to walk out there right now. Although the roads are mainly plowed and salted, all the sidewalks are either cleaned or pure ice and the corners? Worse.It's supposed to all turn to rain with higher temps tomorrow, so I'm hopeful this all goes away soon.

ktinkel
December 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
But then compared to what, say, the Bahamas gets.......Hey — no fair! You think California has no use for an expert on New Jersey law? Try the Bahamas!

Have to admit I have not been out of the house since I got back from my emergency trip to Westport yesterday early to see the dentist. The snow is lovely from inside.

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hey — no fair! You think California has no use for an expert on New Jersey law? Try the Bahamas!I know... I know... darn it...

Have to admit I have not been out of the house since I got back from my emergency trip to Westport yesterday early to see the dentist. The snow is lovely from inside.Emergency dentist? That doesn't sound good at all!

Mike
December 21st, 2008, 02:22 AM
Yeah, but you'd rather not have needed them!
Oh, the weatherstripping makes a difference, even at 50 degrees!

Meanwhile, we're getting another winter storm starting tomorrow, and it's supposed to last for at least six days. Six days of rain... <sigh>

<ducking>

PeteHall
December 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
Don't get too many of those, do you?

I went home and watched Sherlock Holmes chasing Jack the Ripper...

My dad used to tell of the day he had to cross a major road but the fog was so thick that he found himself stranded outside the station and no easy way to get home... as soon as he attempted to step off the curb another vehicle appeared out of the gloom. He got talking to another man who was in the same predicament as they waited for a break in traffic. Suddenly the man grabbed his arm and they set off into the fog... it was then he noticed the man had a white stick!

(mind you, he also told the grandkids that you got milk from a cow by working its tail up and down... and you don't want to ask where the milk bottles popped out!)

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Six days of rain... <sigh> <ducking>Fortunately what we're getting today is mostly rain. But it's hovering around freezing so when the sun goes down... ulp!

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM
My dad used to tell of the day he had to cross a major road but the fog was so thick that he found himself stranded outside the station and no easy way to get home... as soon as he attempted to step off the curb another vehicle appeared out of the gloom. He got talking to another man who was in the same predicament as they waited for a break in traffic. Suddenly the man grabbed his arm and they set off into the fog... it was then he noticed the man had a white stick! (mind you, he also told the grandkids that you got milk from a cow by working its tail up and down... and you don't want to ask where the milk bottles popped out!)I like both stories and who cares if they're true or not!

ndebord
December 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM
It's supposed to all turn to rain with higher temps tomorrow, so I'm hopeful this all goes away soon.

Judy,

The good news? It is now 37 degrees. The bad news? There is so much ice/snow around that tonight, when it drops back down into the 20s and stays there into Monday, we'll have black ice once again.

<sigh>

ktinkel
December 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Emergency dentist? That doesn't sound good at all!Nothing dire but it would have been difficult to ignore it. I am in the process of getting a three-piece crown (i.e., a fixed bridge) for three teeth in the front of my mouth. The temporary came loose and was about to fall off. I am not generally vain, but was not willing to face any amount of time with no teeth right in front! So we raced out to beat the storm, and it worked.

Now it is raining, everything is dripping, and I expect we will have ice in a few hours. Ah, well. Maybe the importance of running errands is over-rated.

Jeff
December 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Judy,

The good news? It is now 37 degrees. The bad news? There is so much ice/snow around that tonight, when it drops back down into the 20s and stays there into Monday, we'll have black ice once again.

<sigh>

About once a winter for my entire 20+ years in The Hague the following sequence of events would unfold. First it would drop below freezing for a couple of days, then about the third night a storm would blow in across the warm gulf stream out in the North Sea, and it would drizzle a lot onto every frozen horizontal surface; streets, sidewalks, even the grass. And the morning sun would show no sign of it. YeeHaw!

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
There is so much ice/snow around that tonight, when it drops back down into the 20s and stays there into Monday, we'll have black ice once again.Remind me again why I still live in the northeast...?

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I am not generally vain, but was not willing to face any amount of time with no teeth right in front! So we raced out to beat the storm, and it worked.Yeah that might bother me just a bit myself!

Now it is raining, everything is dripping, and I expect we will have ice in a few hours. Ah, well. Maybe the importance of running errands is over-rated.Definitely overrated. Now if I could just figure out a way to stay home until, oh, April or so......

Dan in Saint Louis
December 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Remind me again why I still live in the northeast...?
So you don't have to live in Romania (http://landiss.info/albums/constanta/index0002.html)...

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
So you don't have to live in Romania (http://landiss.info/albums/constanta/index0002.html)...YEEEEP! That's COLD!!!! (Was that the house where Dr Zhivago was shot?)

Dan in Saint Louis
December 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
(Was that the house where Dr Zhivago was shot?)
Sorry, I just don't know. Some cinephile here will know!

[LATER]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059113/locations

Judy G. Russell
December 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
[LATER]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059113/locationsCanada, huh? Well, just another reason why I'm glad the election turned out the way it did, so I don't have to move there...

Mike
December 22nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
...it's hovering around freezing so when the sun goes down...
We rarely have that issue. We almost had it a couple of times last week--some people out in the country did, but we escaped!

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
We rarely have that issue. Quit bragging.

sidney
December 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Quit bragging.

You call that bragging? This is bragging ... :p

Actually, I'll forgo posting any pictures of summer here, I wouldn't want to rub it in :)

(Just kidding, right now it is an overcast early morning, kind of gray, and it is supposed to rain all afternoon. In fact I just opened the new french door that is behind my kitchen chair where I type this on my laptop, onto the deck to confirm that the weather is not glorious as I write this, and went out to look north over our little valley to the ridge of forest that extends across the horizon. Yup, those are grey clouds covering all of the sky over the expanse of forest, definitely not warm and sunny, although I think I'll leave the door open and air out the room as the slighty cool breeze is kind of refreshing.)

Nope, the weather is not glorious at all right now, nothing to gloat about :D

Judy G. Russell
December 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
I think I'll leave the door open and air out the room as the slighty cool breeze is kind of refreshing.)Sidney, has anyone told you lately you have a mean streak? (she asks, as the temperatures hit 15 degrees F)

Lindsey
December 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
About once a winter for my entire 20+ years in The Hague the following sequence of events would unfold. First it would drop below freezing for a couple of days, then about the third night a storm would blow in across the warm gulf stream out in the North Sea, and it would drizzle a lot onto every frozen horizontal surface; streets, sidewalks, even the grass. And the morning sun would show no sign of it. YeeHaw!

Ouch! I've taken a couple of spectacular tumbles on surfaces like that. The last time was around Easter of 1978 when I was packing up stuff in my apartment in Sharon, PA (north of Pittsburgh, south of Erie) to move back to Virginia. Icy sidewalks at Easter was one of the reasons I decided to move back south...

Bill Hirst
December 24th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Sidney, has anyone told you lately you have a mean streak? (she asks, as the temperatures hit 15 degrees F)
Did I mention we're expecting 80F today and tomorrow?

-Bill

Judy G. Russell
December 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Did I mention we're expecting 80F today and tomorrow?
Mean mean mean. Even if it is 55F here today!

Bill Hirst
December 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Mean mean mean. Even if it is 55F here today!
I only do it once a year.

-Bill (the Grinch)

Judy G. Russell
December 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I only do it once a year.

-Bill (the Grinch)Gee... thanks...