PDA

View Full Version : Scamming fun on Craigslist

Mike
December 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
We advertised one of our rental units on Craigslist, and we instructed people to call our temporary cell (the phone cost us $13 and 10¢ a minute, with no contract).

One person responded by email:

Subject: $985 / 1br - 2-story loft with sunroom
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:33:52 -0800

Hello,
I come across your house for rent advertised on the internet and i am interested in renting it,please let me know if it is still available and get back to me.

JIM LEWISOk, the message isn't well written, but I dated guys who are pretty bright and conversant, but can't compose a decent email, so I reply:

Subject: Re: $985 / 1br - 2-story loft with sunroom
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:49:53 -0800
To: Jim Lewis

Hi, Jim,

We were at the condo earlier today, and were not able to check email until just now.

The condo still is available. Are you interested in seeing it?

Mike
My message precipitated this:

Subject: LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR SPEEDY RESPONSE
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 04:46:03 -0800

Thanks for your mail,Yes i appreciate your wanting to help us in oursituation.I am a chemist by profession and i am currently working with NORTHWICK PARK & ST.BEN'S HOSPITAL,17WATFORDROAD,HARROW,MIDDLESEX,LONDON. I will be in the states for the next one year with my wife and nine year old daughter and during my stay i will be working with the United States Environmental Protection Agency on a private research work.We have a association that is based in the states and he will be handling the rent deposit payment on our behalf,we will instruct him to send you the check for this as soon as yougive us the go ahead to make payment to you.

Due to the limited time that we have before our arrival,we are making arrangements with a furniture company to supply the home with furniture,so we will need you to provide us with the measurements of the living room and bedroom so that we can send it to the furniture company so that they can supply the unit with furniture that will fit in well. As regards the lease agreement,i want you to send it to me for my review,i will eventually have it filled and signed on my arrival in your place as i am of the opinion that such documents are best filled and signed physically.We can start the lease by the 18th of december and we will be doing a one year lease although we will not be arriving until ending of dec or even before then.You can prepare the lease in my name Dr.Jim Lewis and my wife's name Mrs.melissa Lewis.Please call my cell phone +44 7031 910 233

Let us know how to move ahead as we intend to complete this deal before we move in by the end of the month,we will let you know the exact date as soon as we get a booking on aflight to the states.
Jim Lewis
My scam radar engaged immediately. However, I was curious whether I was overreacting, so I posted a query in the Craigslist Help Forum. One of the responses directed me a page describing apartment scams (http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Apartment-Listing-Response-Scam).

Oy.

I won't be responding any further. I'm sure he has a bunch of other suckers he's trying to hook.

Judy G. Russell
December 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yep, pure scam. It's not just apartments, it's anything and any service (we see this on the photo forums, for example, where people "want to hire a photographer"...).

Mike
December 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Yep, pure scam. It's not just apartments, it's anything and any service...
Sheesh.

I used to wonder how people could be so dumb and get taken. But with so many scammers out there, being so persistent, I'm beginning to see.

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Sheesh. I used to wonder how people could be so dumb and get taken. But with so many scammers out there, being so persistent, I'm beginning to see.And some of the scams are quite clever.

Mike
December 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM
And some of the scams are quite clever.
D'accord.

If it looks too good to be true, ....

Mike
December 14th, 2008, 04:53 AM
This scammee wouldn't stop (http://consumerist.com/5087211/woman-loses-400000-to-nigerian-email-scam) until DoJ threatened to arrest her, certain she'd get her payoff eventually!

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
This scammee wouldn't stop (http://consumerist.com/5087211/woman-loses-400000-to-nigerian-email-scam) until DoJ threatened to arrest her, certain she'd get her payoff eventually!Amazing. Just amazing. How dumb can you be...

Mike
December 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Amazing. Just amazing. How dumb can you be...
Very, apparently.

PeteHall
December 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I am a chemist by profession and i am currently working with NORTHWICK PARK & ST.BEN'S HOSPITAL, 17 WATFORD ROAD, HARROW, MIDDLESEX, LONDON.

Erm... Northwick Park Hosp incorporates *St Marks*, but St Marks generally doesn't get a mention. Nobody says "17 Watford Rd" as it is a massive complex, so large it has its own bus station, and no one says "Middlesex, London" as both are counties, so it would either be Middlesex or Greater London (both are correct as Middlesex was incorporated when Greater London was created in the 60s, but Middlesex and many of the new counties remains in popular use because no one likes the new names... like Salop!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwick_Park_Hospital#History

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Erm... Northwick Park Hosp incorporates *St Marks*, but St Marks generally doesn't get a mention. Nobody says "17 Watford Rd" as it is a massive complex, so large it has its own bus station, and no one says "Middlesex, London" ...]Oh come on now. You're not going to confuse us with the facts, are you?

Bill Hirst
December 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
"Middlesex" (giggle)

-Bill

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM
"Middlesex" (giggle)Our county motto: We hate boys! We hate girls! Middlesex, Middlesex, Middlesex!

Mike
December 21st, 2008, 02:31 AM
...and no one says "Middlesex, London"...
That part I knew, but once I'd realized the whole thing was a scam, I didn't bother confirming the facts.

I'm half Brit by birth, but I've not spent sufficient time in London to know all the trivia. <g>

(It did surprise me to realize how many people in the States know so much misinformation about the Royals, however!)