PDA

View Full Version : Only one president at a time

Mike
December 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Found in next week's Newsweek:

"At a time of great crisis with mortgage foreclosures and autos, he says we only have one president at a time. I'm afraid that overstates the number of presidents we have."

House Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank, urging President-Elect Barack Obama to be "more assertive" in tackling the nation's problems during the remaining period before his Inauguration.

ndebord
December 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Found in next week's Newsweek:

"At a time of great crisis with mortgage foreclosures and autos, he says we only have one president at a time. I'm afraid that overstates the number of presidents we have."

House Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank, urging President-Elect Barack Obama to be "more assertive" in tackling the nation's problems during the remaining period before his Inauguration.

Mike,

It's hard to be more assertive when you've yet to be sworn in. Let us hope that Paulson and Bush don't screw the pooch before inauguration.

Mike
December 12th, 2008, 03:45 AM
It's hard to be more assertive when you've yet to be sworn in.
Yeah, I'm wondering what else Barney would expect Barack to do!

Judy G. Russell
December 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
"...one president at a time. I'm afraid that overstates the number of presidents we have."ROFL!!!! I was at Target last night (aside: almost empty here 12 days before Christmas -- bad sign for the economy) and came across some Christmas cards. On the front: "1-20-09 End of the Bush Presidency." On the inside: "Just one more thing to be grateful for this Holiday Season..."

Mike
December 13th, 2008, 03:27 AM
"Just one more thing to be grateful for this Holiday Season..."
Oh, wonderful! We'll have to see if we can get there this weekend, because I have one friend who plans to party that day (she arranged back in July to have it off). I think she'd love that card... :-)

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I have one friend who plans to party that day (she arranged back in July to have it off).I keep thinking of my brother and my cousin, both of whom live Metro distance from D.C., and how much I'd like to be there on January 20th...

Mike
December 14th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I keep thinking of my brother and my cousin, both of whom live Metro distance from D.C., and how much I'd like to be there on January 20th...
But did you buy your tickets to the event yet?

I think you can buy them on the Internet.

<ducking>

Judy G. Russell
December 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM
But did you buy your tickets to the event yet? I think you can buy them on the Internet. <ducking>ROFL!!! If I do go, I'd just want to wander around the Mall with my camera. I don't have the stamina to stay outdoors, in January, long enough to get a spot on the parade route!

Mike
December 15th, 2008, 02:41 AM
ROFL!!! If I do go, I'd just want to wander around the Mall with my camera. I don't have the stamina to stay outdoors, in January, long enough to get a spot on the parade route!
I understand. Take a good telephoto lens and take pictures from the next county. <g>

Judy G. Russell
December 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I understand. Take a good telephoto lens and take pictures from the next county. <g>From what I hear of the crowds, the next county may be as close as you can get!

Mike
December 16th, 2008, 02:28 AM
From what I hear of the crowds, the next county may be as close as you can get!
Maybe an adjacent state!

ndebord
December 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Maybe an adjacent state!

Hmmm. Exactly how good are the Google Map closeups?

<g>

Judy G. Russell
December 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Maybe an adjacent state!From DC, the next county IS in an adjacent state!

ktinkel
December 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
From DC, the next county IS in an adjacent state!Obama will travel by train from Philadelphia, down to pick up Biden in Delaware, and on to Washington. Trip will take two or three days, with speeches and crowds along the way.

Maybe you need a road trip, running along the tracks!

Judy G. Russell
December 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Obama will travel by train from Philadelphia, down to pick up Biden in Delaware, and on to Washington. Trip will take two or three days, with speeches and crowds along the way. Maybe you need a road trip, running along the tracks!I don't think I'm THAT committed to seeing this slice of history. But I have thought about trying to see what's going on in Philly or Wilmington.

Mike
December 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM
From DC, the next county IS in an adjacent state!
My point exactly!

Gail
December 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I don't think I'm THAT committed to seeing this slice of history. But I have thought about trying to see what's going on in Philly or Wilmington.
Or Baltimore???

Judy G. Russell
December 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Or Baltimore???Or Baltimore, for sure! Are you going to go? I don't see any details available yet (given that it's early still, but...).

Mike
December 18th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Or Baltimore???
OMG!

Judy G. Russell
December 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
OMG!Wanna go?

Gail
December 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Or Baltimore, for sure! Are you going to go? I don't see any details available yet (given that it's early still, but...).

I could be talked into it. Not sure where he's going to be, but if you want to come down......

Gail
December 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM
OMG!

Hehe.

You guys hop on a plane and we'll all go. :)

Mike
December 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Wanna go?
I'd love to, but I just can't plan out that far right now. If I do, then I'm certain will rise at the last minute to screw it up (job interview, issue with settling the estate, ...).

The good news is that on Thursday, two different potential employers scheduled interviews for me (one on the 30th, the other on the 6th). If I had any way to predict that one of the potentials would offer me a job, I'd start making plans immediately to go to Bawlmer the third week of January. F*ck that... if I had any way to predict anything, I'd be buying lottery tickets so all of us could retire! Then I'd make plans to go to Bawlmer.

My expression of surprise was due to seeing our dear friend's pixels here!

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I could be talked into it. Not sure where he's going to be, but if you want to come down......I am really really tempted. As you know, one of my brothers lives right outside D.C. and has offered room and board for that weekend...

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
The good news is that on Thursday, two different potential employers scheduled interviews for me (one on the 30th, the other on the 6th).HOORAY!!! Fingers and toes crossed that all goes well!

Gail
December 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I'd love to, but I just can't plan out that far right now. If I do, then I'm certain will rise at the last minute to screw it up (job interview, issue with settling the estate, ...).

The good news is that on Thursday, two different potential employers scheduled interviews for me (one on the 30th, the other on the 6th). If I had any way to predict that one of the potentials would offer me a job, I'd start making plans immediately to go to Bawlmer the third week of January. F*ck that... if I had any way to predict anything, I'd be buying lottery tickets so all of us could retire! Then I'd make plans to go to Bawlmer.

My expression of surprise was due to seeing our dear friend's pixels here!

Your dear friend wanders through here every so often, she just doesn't drop her pixels. ;-)

Fingers crossed re the job interviews. If something comes through, THEN you can make plane reservations. From what I understand, seats aren't hard to come by.

But if you DO win the lottery, all I need is enough to pay off the mortgage, then I can sell the house and buy something in Florida. Won't have to talk anyone into visiting me there. ;)

Gail
December 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I am really really tempted. As you know, one of my brothers lives right outside D.C. and has offered room and board for that weekend...

You've got free room and board here, too, if you want to see Obama in Baltimore. I don't know that you'll be able to get anywhere near DC.

It's really all very exciting, though.

ndebord
December 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
You've got free room and board here, too, if you want to see Obama in Baltimore. I don't know that you'll be able to get anywhere near DC.

It's really all very exciting, though.

Gail,

What? You sold your private helicopter?

;-)

Judy G. Russell
December 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
You've got free room and board here, too, if you want to see Obama in Baltimore. I don't know that you'll be able to get anywhere near DC. It's really all very exciting, though.Thanks! I'll probably dither about this right up to the last minute, but I really would like to be part of SOME part of this!

Mike
December 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks, Judy. We'll see what happens!

Mike
December 20th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Won't have to talk anyone into visiting me there.
You wouldn't need to talk anyone into visiting you if you were here, either! :cool:

ndebord
December 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks! I'll probably dither about this right up to the last minute, but I really would like to be part of SOME part of this!

Judy,

It would be great to do. But not for us right now. I'll hope you guys can do it though and get some mussels at Bertha's while you're in town.

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM
It would be great to do. But not for us right now. I'll hope you guys can do it though and get some mussels at Bertha's while you're in town.A lot will depend on the weather, Nick. I'm SO not fond of cold weather; standing around outdoors in January is not up there with the top 100 things to do...

ndebord
December 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
A lot will depend on the weather, Nick. I'm SO not fond of cold weather; standing around outdoors in January is not up there with the top 100 things to do...

Judy,

It's all about layers.... lots and lots of...

Pearl River sells delicioiusly decadent silk longjohns!

<g>

Judy G. Russell
December 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
It's all about layers.... lots and lots of... Pearl River sells delicioiusly decadent silk longjohns!<g>I may end up going that route, but will undoubtedly dither until the last minute.

Gail
December 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Gail,

What? You sold your private helicopter?

;-)

Ya know...... I parked it someplace when gas prices were through the roof and now just can't remember where. Let me know if you come across it. ;)

Bill Hirst
December 27th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Ya know...... I parked it someplace when gas prices were through the roof and now just can't remember where. Let me know if you come across it. ;)
Air America has it.

http://www.dezh.de/imghosting/139601de34cc94f5d1739ad3365844a0.jpg

-Bill

ndebord
December 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Gail,

Like Bill said, somewhere in Laos. <g>

Gail
December 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks! I'll probably dither about this right up to the last minute, but I really would like to be part of SOME part of this!
Yeah, me, too.

Gail
December 30th, 2008, 08:10 AM
You wouldn't need to talk anyone into visiting you if you were here, either! :cool:
So true! But CA is just too far away from my kids and grandkids and the cost of living is WAY too high, especially on retirement income.

Now if one of us wins the lottery, I can have homes in both places!

Gail
December 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Air America has it.

http://www.dezh.de/imghosting/139601de34cc94f5d1739ad3365844a0.jpg

-Bill

Oh, there it is! I forgot that I rented it to them to bring their programming to rural America.

Mike
December 31st, 2008, 03:31 AM
Now if one of us wins the lottery, I can have homes in both places!
Or get to know Suze Orman really, really well. She already has homes in both places (and a few others, like NYC and Chicago). Perhaps you could talk her into letting you stay at one of the unoccupied ones?