PDA

View Full Version : July 20, 1969 & Google Moon

chm
July 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Google Moon (http://moon.google.com/)

A must-see for today. Sorry it's so late in the day...

And, be sure to zoom all the way in

Bill Hirst
July 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I thought it was supposed to be green.

Lindsey
July 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
LOL!! But Bill's right--it's the wrong color!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:15 PM
ROFL!! (and to Bill for his comment too!)

Jeff
July 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

LOL! But I guess the Swiss don't make green cheese.

- Jeff

Dan in Saint Louis
July 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
I guess the Swiss don't make green cheese.
Sure they do, I have some in my refrigerator.

sidney
July 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
I thought it was supposed to be green.

Here is (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990723a.html) something about the origin of the phrase, explaining how 1) "green" meant unaged, not a color and 2) it was used in a sarcastic sense, like selling someone the Brooklyn Bridge.

But here is NASA's (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020401.html) proof that it is real.

Guerri Stevens
July 21st, 2005, 08:07 PM

A must-see for today. Sorry it's so late in the day...

This didn't work for me. I got a large box on the left with several empty small boxes inside. If I hovered the mouse pointer over them at the bottom of my screen I saw something like "javascript void".

I am using Mozilla, and I think this may be related to something Judy mentioned about add-in applications that Internet Explorer handles more or less automatically but that I have to obtain myself.

Judy G. Russell
July 21st, 2005, 08:40 PM
...I saw something like "javascript void". I am using Mozilla, and I think this may be related to something Judy mentioned about add-in applications that Internet Explorer handles more or less automatically but that I have to obtain myself.
Javascript is built in. Java is an add-on. See if javascript is turned on (Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Scripts & Plugins, Enable javascript for Navigator.

Guerri Stevens
July 22nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Javascript is built in. Java is an add-on. See if javascript is turned on (Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Scripts & Plugins, Enable javascript for Navigator.
Javascript is indeed turned on.

Judy G. Russell
July 22nd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Javascript is indeed turned on.
Then the error message probably says Java and not javascript. If you don't have Java installed, then lots of things won't work on the 'net. (You can check in Add/Remove Programs to see if you have any Java Runtime Environment.) If you decide to install it, you can download it from here (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp) (scroll down to where it says Download JRE 5.0 Update 4).

MollyM/CA
July 22nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
Actually they do --I think it's the Swiss -- and I can't think of the name of it. It's a firm solid cheese good for grating, no holes, and the traditional flavor and color are from the leaves of a variety of fenugreek. I grew some once and it was quite nice, with, if I remember, little spikes of bluish flowers. Fenugreek is a winter annual (same season as chickweed) and the bitterish slightly fragrant leaves are used in Indian and Near Eastern cooking. The seeds are used in curry and are what give the curry powder flavor (lots of curries and other sauced Indian dishes don't have the American "curry powder" flavor --no fenugreek seed!).

Jeff
July 23rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
I don't think so. The Swiss think of their cheese in about the same way that the Germans think of their beer. And even on St. Patrick's Day green beer would be a seriously criminal offense. ;)

- Jeff

PeteHall
July 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Actually they do --I think it's the Swiss -- and I can't think of the name of it. It's a firm solid cheese good for grating, no holes, and the traditional flavor and color are from the leaves of a variety of fenugreek...

And there is sage derby (http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/sagederby.htm)

(Wensleydale Dairy produce Wallace & Grommit's favourite cheese (http://www.wensleydale.co.uk/mini2.htm))

Guerri Stevens
July 23rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Then the error message probably says Java and not javascript. If you don't have Java installed, then lots of things won't work on the 'net. (You can check in Add/Remove Programs to see if you have any Java Runtime Environment.) If you decide to install it, you can download it from here (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp) (scroll down to where it says Download JRE 5.0 Update 4).
There is no error message. When I click on the link in Carolyn's message, I get a largish box with six smaller boxes inside, presumably corresponding to items A-F on the right, If I hover the mouse pointer over one of the empty boxes, I get "javascript: void(0)" at the bottom of the screen. I checked my preferences to see whether I had perhaps turned off images, but I didn't see a setting like that and other sites display images.

I may try downloading the Java thing you recommended and see what happens. There is nothing in Add/Remove programs that mentions Java.

Judy G. Russell
July 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM
There is nothing in Add/Remove programs that mentions Java.
Then you should go ahead and download and install it.

Guerri Stevens
July 24th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I clicked on the "here" in your original message, thinking I would install the JAVA runtime. I scrolled down to JRE 5.0 Update 4, which says J2SE Runtime Environment and I clicked the Download item there. I accepted the license agreement, and chose the Online Multi Language item. I was then taken to www.sun.com and at that point was uncertain what to do. Possibly back in the link you sent me and subsequent paths I chose something wrong, i.e. not doing exactly what I described here. At any rate, I decided this was a waste of time at the moment and gave up.

Earlier on, I printed some installation notes, again possibly the wrong ones, but the acronyms and terminology are confusing. The installation notes seem to be talking about the J2SE Development Kit. I don't want a development kit, I just want a (preferably small) runtime thingy.

FWIW, Internet Explorer didn't work either on the Google Moon thing. I got a message that "your browser is not officially supported ...". My IE is probably well out of date but I don't think I care.

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Get the offline installer, not the online one.

Guerri Stevens
July 24th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Get the offline installer, not the online one.
This is moot now, at least for the time being. But I will mention that the download for the offline version was something like 15 meg, which is why I chose the other option <g>.

The reason I couldn't see the "moon" has nothing to do with the presence or absence of JAVA. It was my settings. The settings for Javascript include a list of things to be allowed, such as move or resize. I had unchecked them all. When I check the item "change images" the site works.

I have now installed Firefox, and will post my questions about that elsewhere.

Thanks for your help with this. At least if I do need the Java runtime, I can come back here and get your words of wisdom on that!

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
This is moot now, at least for the time being. But I will mention that the download for the offline version was something like 15 meg, which is why I chose the other option <g>.
Keep in mind that choosing an online install versus an offline install does NOT mean you will not end up sitting online for the same amount of time as if you'd chosen the offline install. All the online install does is prevent you from having downloaded the installation file if you ever need to uninstall and reinstall. In this day of big hard drives, it is almost always a better idea to DL the offline install program rather than going the online install route.

MollyM/CA
July 29th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I remembered the name: sapsago. It comes in a truncated cone weighing maybe 4 to 6 ounces, and it's a grating cheese, very hard and dry and if I remember aright very salty.

The Swiss make dozens of kinds of cheese we don't see, because they don't travel well or are too stinky (or both, or one leads to another?). Sapsago didn't used to be all that hard to find. I haven't bought it for a few years because I can get a Near-Eastern cheese that is similarly hard but has more flavor.

MollyM/CA
July 29th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I've been trying to think where I read an essay/article about making a sage cheese in this country. The author visited factories and interviewed the cheesemasters and found one cheese factory that used real sage leaves instead of purchased extract and coloring. The reason? "It's cheaper."

And then there are the spiced cheeses and raisin cheeses in James Blaylock's fantasies --The Elfin Ship was the first of a series.