PDA

View Full Version : Headline in New Zealand Herald

sidney
November 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
As I got on the bus to the university a few minutes ago I saw this headline on the New Zealand Herald front page in the newstand. I haven't seen the article itself yet, but the headline said:

"At Last It's OK to be an American"

MollyM/CA
November 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
"At Last It's OK to be an American"

My feeling exactly, as I watched the delegates mount up.

Judy G. Russell
November 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM
As I got on the bus to the university a few minutes ago I saw this headline on the New Zealand Herald front page in the newstand. I haven't seen the article itself yet, but the headline said: "At Last It's OK to be an American"I certainly agree with that -- but not just okay, PROUD. Proud to be an American now.

sidney
November 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
not just okay, PROUD. Proud to be an American now.

I read the article and it is along those lines. It is by an American expat in Vienna who has experienced some negative reactions from strangers in the past years. The day after the election he was talking in English on his cellphone on the bus and a woman came over and kissed him :)

I try to avoid talking on the phone while riding the bus so as not to be rude, but maybe I'll make a few calls anyway :)

Judy G. Russell
November 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I read the article and it is along those lines. It is by an American expat in Vienna who has experienced some negative reactions from strangers in the past years. The day after the election he was talking in English on his cellphone on the bus and a woman came over and kissed him :)

I try to avoid talking on the phone while riding the bus so as not to be rude, but maybe I'll make a few calls anyway :)Enjoy your kisses, and flash your US passport. Me, I've been a little nervous about using a US passport in recent years, much less flashing it around.

Had a long discussion with a dear friend of mine tonight who happens to be African American. I don't think he or I have cried that much in years. All tears of joy. Hard to believe we have lived long enough to see this.

PeteHall
November 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM

I try to avoid talking on the phone while riding the bus so as not to be rude, but maybe I'll make a few calls anyway :)

I read something similar about an American in France (sounds like a good idea for a musical), but it ended 'don't forget... the French have a short memory'

Judy G. Russell
November 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
...an American in France (sounds like a good idea for a musical)......or a comedy. (Hiya, Pete!)

Lindsey
November 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I read something similar about an American in France (sounds like a good idea for a musical), but it ended 'don't forget... the French have a short memory'
Pete! Welcome back! It's great to see you!

MollyM/CA
November 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Pete! Whereya been? How good to see your name up there!