PDA

View Full Version : The very very earliest returns

Judy G. Russell
November 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
The towns of Dixville Notch and Hart's Location in New Hampshire have voted overwhelmingly for Barack Obama to be the 44th President of the United States. These two towns vote at midnight -- and they get 100% voter turnout.

In Dixville Notch, it was Obama 15 (71%), McCain 6 (29%).

In Hart's Location, it was Obama 17 (59%), McCain 10 (35%), Ron Paul 2 write-in (6%).

The towns aren't much of a bellweather historically... but I sure like the looks of those results!

MollyM/CA
November 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
A couple of questions while we're holding our collective breath, oh guru of politics and procedure--

It's always a couple of small New England towns that have gotten their 100% voter turnout before California polls open. Is it usually New Hampshire and often these two towns?

These two towns vote at midnight
Is it up to towns to decide polling hours? Or can the state leave it up to the towns, or set statewide polling hours? (The more I get into this the more I don't know about how polling hours are set and -- possibly importantly -- about who sets them. Is there any sort of national edict other than, nowadays, first Tuesday after first Monday in November for those who haven't voted yet?)

2. I also don't remember how New Hampshire usually goes -- it's at the back of my mind that, once upon a time at least, it was a blue-dog, or should that be yellow-dog, Republican state.

m

Judy G. Russell
November 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
A couple of questions while we're holding our collective breath, oh guru of politics and procedure-- It's always a couple of small New England towns that have gotten their 100% voter turnout before California polls open. Is it usually New Hampshire and often these two towns?It's always New Hampshire and always these two towns. At least, since 1948 and 1960, respectively.

Is it up to towns to decide polling hours? Or can the state leave it up to the towns, or set statewide polling hours?Polling hours are a matter of state law. NH law requires polling places to open at 11. The towns can choose to open earlier, but not later.

(The more I get into this the more I don't know about how polling hours are set and -- possibly importantly -- about who sets them. Is there any sort of national edict other than, nowadays, first Tuesday after first Monday in November for those who haven't voted yet?)There is no national rule. Federal law simply fixes the day.

2. I also don't remember how New Hampshire usually goes -- it's at the back of my mind that, once upon a time at least, it was a blue-dog, or should that be yellow-dog, Republican state.
2004 - Kerry
2000 - Bush
1996 - Clinton
1992 - Clinton
1988 - Bush
1984 - Reagan
1980 - Reagan
1976 - Ford
1972 - Nixon
1968 - Nixon
1964 - Johnson
1960 - Nixon
1956 - Eisenhower
1952 - Eisenhower
1948 - Dewey
1944 - Roosevelt
1940 - Roosevelt
1936 - Roosevelt
1932 - Hoover
1928 - Hoover

MollyM/CA
November 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Interesting -- Nixon I and Bush I turned them-- but not many outside California knew what a crook Nixon was at that point.

Looks like they learned their lesson with Bush II... until...

m