PDA

View Full Version : Forwarding Spam Email

Guerri Stevens
July 19th, 2005, 07:41 PM
I am using Thunderbird. A few times recently I received spam apparently addressed to may CompuServe account. I tried to forward it to spam@compuserve.com and it failed. I forget what the message was, but something about the server having rejected it. Within T-bird, I was forwarding from my CompuServe account, not my tapcis.com account.

The first time this happened, I thought that the outgoing server was down because other messages didn't work either. But other times that was not the case, yet the forwarded message failed.

Another question I have about this is whether, when I say "forward" in T-bird, all of the mail headers from the original message will be passed along. I have the feeling they won't, and I would have to view them first, the paste into an outgoing message.

Gary Maltzen
July 20th, 2005, 12:52 AM
To ensure forwarding the message complete with all headers, use Message -> Forward As -> Attachment.

Are you using a Compuserve dial-up connection for your Internet access?

Guerri Stevens
July 20th, 2005, 06:44 PM
To ensure forwarding the message complete with all headers, use Message -> Forward As -> Attachment.

Are you using a Compuserve dial-up connection for your Internet access?
No, I'm not using a CompuServe dial-up connection.

This is moot now, at least as far as CompuServe is concerned. I cancelled my account today after 22 years (sob). They asked why and I said the feature I cared about was the forums and they were no longer accessible with an offline reader, therefore I rarely participated. I doubt that they care.

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I doubt that they care.
More likely they didn't have a clue what you were talking about. Offline reader? Forums?

Guerri Stevens
July 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM
More likely they didn't have a clue what you were talking about. Offline reader? Forums?
Well, the person had an accent that I believed was Indian and I suspect he was actually in India. I have dealt with other customer service people for other companies who sounded the same. They seem to be using a script which emphasizes politeness, and when you describe your problem they say "I am so sorry, but I am going to help you" and they proceed from there. In this case, the person did help me by cancelling my account (or that's what he said, anyway). But for some other companies, the "help" is really not helpful. Not that the situation would be any different using people here in the U.S., of course.

Judy G. Russell
July 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM
In this case, the person did help me by cancelling my account (or that's what he said, anyway).
We can hope at any rate!

Gary Maltzen
July 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
I cancelled my account today after 22 years
I also cancelled mine after 22 years (1983-2005). Make certain you do NOT access the account again - they will graciously and automatically re-establish your account should you do so.

jackofshadows
July 31st, 2005, 05:15 AM
The reason for the bounce is that you can only access smtp.compuserve.com from their dial-up. Stupid, but that's the way they set it up. The reason it's stupid is that if you were using the "new" (rebranded/modified) AOL-based software, you can access the smtp.cs.com servers from anywhere. All they required was that you log in (SMTP Requires Authentication setting).

You can download off the POP3 server to your hearts content but Lord help you if you want to send anything and you aren't connected via CompuServe.

Lindsey
July 31st, 2005, 10:32 PM
Stupid? No, not hardly: The requirement was to keep spammers from hijacking the CompuServe mail servers. The cs.com domain has the advantage of not having to support legacy software. Not all mail clients support SMTP authentication.

--Lindsey