PDA

View Full Version : Reflections of a Sunday afternoon

Judy G. Russell
October 26th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Grabbed the camera and spent some time at a local park this afternoon...

http://photos.jgrussell.com/photos/403191054_VNThX-X1.jpg

http://photos.jgrussell.com/photos/403191164_sHRj8-X1.jpg

http://photos.jgrussell.com/photos/403191638_aYvCy-X1.jpg

ktinkel
October 26th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Great park, great photos.

sidney
October 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Wonderful!

ndebord
October 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Grabbed the camera and spent some time at a local park this afternoon...

Judy,

Really, really, good. I have got to get that camera of yours, or as I see in the press, a slightly downscale new release of it.

Judy G. Russell
October 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks, folks! I am having fun with this camera, and picked up a couple of really nice used lenses to add capability.

fhaber
October 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, terrific pics!

300mm? Image-stabilized, or do you carry a monopod? Snappy, crispy lens(es) you have there, ma'am.

Judy G. Russell
October 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, terrific pics! 300mm? Image-stabilized, or do you carry a monopod? Snappy, crispy lens(es) you have there, ma'am.It's the Canon 70-200 f4 IS, Frank, and it's a doozy and a half. Bought it second hand and am thrilled with the image quality.

Mike
October 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Excellent photos!

(As usual!)

Judy G. Russell
October 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Excellent photos! (As usual!)Thanks, Mike! I picked up a 10-22 wide angle and the 70-200 zoom second-hand, and am loving the difference you see with good glass. The blurred background (called bokeh) with a good lens is just gorgeous:

http://www.pbase.com/jgr/image/105101924/original.jpg

Mike
October 31st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks, Mike! I picked up a 10-22 wide angle and the 70-200 zoom second-hand, and am loving the difference you see with good glass. The blurred background (called bokeh) with a good lens is just gorgeous:
That is just amazing. Are you sure you're not ready to switch careers?

Lindsey
October 31st, 2008, 01:38 AM
Fantastic pictures, all of them!

Don't hate me for this, but I keep thinking that the first duck picture would make a fantastic jigsaw puzzle.

Judy G. Russell
October 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM
That is just amazing. Are you sure you're not ready to switch careers?In this economy???? Yep, I'm sure.

Judy G. Russell
October 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Don't hate me for this, but I keep thinking that the first duck picture would make a fantastic jigsaw puzzle.ROFL!!! It sure would, wouldn't it? Drive people nuts!

Jeff
October 31st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Fantastic pictures, all of them!

Don't hate me for this, but I keep thinking that the first duck picture would make a fantastic jigsaw puzzle.

So THAT is where the ducks go in the winter...

- Yeff

Lindsey
October 31st, 2008, 11:42 PM
ROFL!!! It sure would, wouldn't it? Drive people nuts!
Exactly!

Mike
November 1st, 2008, 02:59 AM
In this economy???? Yep, I'm sure.
At least you have a career!

I've had two interviews for a job that I really would like, and not only were my references checked by the HR people, but the hiring manager went back and did a second check. The recruiter said things look good, but I've heard nothing this week. <sigh>

Judy G. Russell
November 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
At least you have a career! I've had two interviews for a job that I really would like, and not only were my references checked by the HR people, but the hiring manager went back and did a second check. The recruiter said things look good, but I've heard nothing this week. <sigh>I wish you the very best of luck, Mike. I would be terrified beyond words if I lost my job in this economy.

fhaber
November 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Bokeh, huh? I learn. Were those GORGEOUS rushes (or whatever, ah-choo! (cityboy, here)) wide open f4 at near-200mm?

I'd love to see the diff between the kit lens and one of your good ones next time you use a compatible focal length/stop, and feel energetic. Or point me to a site with samples of "mukachi bokeh," if that's trouble.

I could probably furnish some really bad blur, given time. Now where did I put that Russian T-mount mirror 500? Oh, yes, I sold it in 1975. Yeccch.

Judy G. Russell
November 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Bokeh, huh? I learn. Were those GORGEOUS rushes (or whatever, ah-choo! (cityboy, here)) wide open f4 at near-200mm? Wide open yes, 200mm no. Shot at 89mm.

I'd love to see the diff between the kit lens and one of your good ones next time you use a compatible focal length/stop, and feel energetic. If the weather is decent this weekend, I'll go out and play and grab a couple of shots with both lenses for you. My kit is the 18-55 IS (a pretty crummy lens, overall).

fhaber
November 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
At your leisure (lens comparison). Forgive my ignorance, but the Rebel series' sensor is 4/3? That C thing? Is a 28mm your "normal?"

I'm mightily impressed that you can get great selective focus without one of those $2k near-doubleframe-35mm bodies.

Judy G. Russell
November 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
At your leisure (lens comparison). Forgive my ignorance, but the Rebel series' sensor is 4/3? That C thing? Is a 28mm your "normal?" I'm mightily impressed that you can get great selective focus without one of those $2k near-doubleframe-35mm bodies.Yep, it's the APS-C sensor. 28-35mm is close to normal. I'd love to have a full frame body, but they are HEAVY and expensive. So this one, the newest XSi (450D), is doing me just fine. This is what I used for all of the Africa (http://www.pbase.com/jgr/africa) shots too.

Mike
November 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
I wish you the very best of luck, Mike. I would be terrified beyond words if I lost my job in this economy.
Thanks, Judy. I am steeling myself to start a fresh effort on Monday if I don't hear anything.