PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Red Sox!

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM
There I thought Tampa Bay had 'em beat last night. They were leading 7-0 when I stopped paying attention. So what do I find this morning? The Sox won it??? 8-7??? I don't like 'em one little bit, but you have to admire their grittiness.

ndebord
October 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
There I thought Tampa Bay had 'em beat last night. They were leading 7-0 when I stopped paying attention. So what do I find this morning? The Sox won it??? 8-7??? I don't like 'em one little bit, but you have to admire their grittiness.

Judy,

Nah. Let them go down to the Sunshine state and get creamed. IF not Torre and the Sox, then a plague on them.

<grrrr>

Meanwhile, the hints coming out of Yankees South are insinsuating that Joba's arm troubles are of more concern than let on officially. I did know that he has had trouble throughout his career to date. The rumblings are getting louder that they should bite the bullet and put him as a reliever setting up Mo and in a couple of years, he'll be the closer. IF those reports are right, that he can't stand up to starting, of what use would it be to get a few great games out of him and then find out his shoulder is shot for good?

Look for Petitte to return and Moose to retire. So a righthander is on the horizon and a centerfielder unless they have brains enough to let Gardner do the job for a year until Jackson makes it to the Bigs.

And are you ready for Manny as DH? (Are those flags from the bleacher creatures saying Washington Heights?)

Judy G. Russell
October 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Let them go down to the Sunshine state and get creamed. IF not Torre and the Sox, then a plague on them.I've been in the "a plague on them" camp since spring training. But with my record this year, maybe I should start rooting for them. Then they'd be SURE to lose.

Meanwhile, the hints coming out of Yankees South are insinsuating that Joba's arm troubles are of more concern than let on officially.Crap. They should never have made him a starter...

And are you ready for Manny as DH?Oh nmy... wouldn't that be interesting!

Judy G. Russell
October 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM
And now those pesky Red Sox are done. And finally I can put baseball behind me for 2008. I couldn't care less whether Tampa or Philadelphia wins. As long as the Red Sox can't.

sidney
October 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM
And finally I can put baseball behind me for 2008. I couldn't care less whether Tampa or Philadelphia wins. As long as the Red Sox can't.

There's still something to root for -- That there be a game 6 so that all of Florida and all of Pennsylvania tunes in to the 30 minute Obama infomercial just before it. In fact, maybe a 6-game series won by the Rays would be such a feel-good right after the Obama talk that it would swing a few more critical Florida points his way :)

Judy G. Russell
October 20th, 2008, 09:47 AM
There's still something to root for -- That there be a game 6 so that all of Florida and all of Pennsylvania tunes in to the 30 minute Obama infomercial just before it. In fact, maybe a 6-game series won by the Rays would be such a feel-good right after the Obama talk that it would swing a few more critical Florida points his way :)Oooh, now that would be good, wouldn't it? When is the Obama talk scheduled for??

sidney
October 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
When is the Obama talk scheduled for??

Oct 29 at 8pm Eastern time, to be shown on Faux News, CBS, and NBC. MLB agreed to delay the start of Game 6 (if any) by 18 minutes, starting at 8:38 instead of the scheduled 8:20.

The RNC's response, according to this CNN article (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/15/obama-takes-heat-for-delaying-world-series-game/): "It’s unfortunate that the World Series’ first pitch is being delayed for Obama’s political pitch," RNC spokesman Alex Conant said. "Not only is Obama putting politics before principle, he’s putting it before our national pastime.”

I find this quote from MSNBC's article (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27217024/) interesting: "In early September, the NFL moved up the kickoff time of the opening-night game — which aired on NBC — to 7 p.m. to make sure that the game would be over before John McCain stepped up to the podium to accept the nomination of the Republican party during its national convention."

I haven't seen any drop in Obama's polls as a result of this announcement. I think that McCain is preparing a stronger response based on an anecdote about someone named Joe the Maggio who is worried about losing an at-bat because of Obama. That's going to flop when bloggers discover that Joe isn't in the lineup of either team. And it will backfire when it turns out that McCain confused the Maggio with the witnesses that Obama is going to produce in that court case (http://www.americasright.com/2008/08/obama-sued-in-philadelphia-federal.html) in which Philip Berg is seeking to prove that he really was born in Kenya, not Hawaii -- the Three Magii.

Bill Hirst
October 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
/snip/ And it will backfire when it turns out that McCain confused the Maggio with the witnesses that Obama is going to produce in that court case (http://www.americasright.com/2008/08/obama-sued-in-philadelphia-federal.html) in which Philip Berg is seeking to prove that he really was born in Kenya, not Hawaii -- the Three Magii.
I saw that movie "The Manchurian Candidate." We should start a rumor McCain is being controlled by the commies.

-Bill

Judy G. Russell
October 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Oct 29 at 8pm Eastern timeHmmm... I wonder if my students will understand if I delay the start of my night class for 20 minutes or so...