PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Food!!!

ktinkel
October 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
You could say that again and FWIW, the cultural differences between Cantonese and Mandarin (my wife's family is long-time HK).My close Chinese friends have been from Singapore and Chengdu; talk about different!

The only thing they have in common is the ability to read those mysterious slips posted on the walls of restaurants in Chinatown! <g>

ndebord
October 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
My close Chinese friends have been from Singapore and Chengdu; talk about different!

The only thing they have in common is the ability to read those mysterious slips posted on the walls of restaurants in Chinatown! <g>

Kathleen,

Chengdu, that's Sichuan, not the same as Cantonese, which is essentially what Singapore and Hong Kong are...

The written language is the same: the 72 dialects put paid to the concept of a unified language, although the Communists think Mandarin will be the "one" ring to rule them all. Most of the mercantile Chinese overseas are Cantonese, including many in the Caribbean (and my relatives here in NY, Toronto, San Francisco, Vancouver and Sydney... not to forget HK of course.)

ktinkel
October 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Chengdu, that's Sichuan, not the same as Cantonese, which is essentially what Singapore and Hong Kong are...

The written language is the same: the 72 dialects put paid to the concept of a unified language, although the Communists think Mandarin will be the "one" ring to rule them all. Most of the mercantile Chinese overseas are Cantonese, including many in the Caribbean (and my relatives here in NY, Toronto, San Francisco, Vancouver and Sydney... not to forget HK of course.)Sure. (I would be about the last American to confuse the Cantonese with the Sichuanese!) But they all read the same characters — though even there you can find variations, of interpretation, at least.

Discuss bean sauce noodles (ja jiang mien) with people from different regions of China. May as well be distinct dishes. (Sort of like talking about chile con carne here: Texas, Cincinnati, New England — same words, different food.)

ndebord
October 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Sure. (I would be about the last American to confuse the Cantonese with the Sichuanese!) But they all read the same characters — though even there you can find variations, of interpretation, at least.

Discuss bean sauce noodles (ja jiang mien) with people from different regions of China. May as well be distinct dishes. (Sort of like talking about chile con carne here: Texas, Cincinnati, New England — same words, different food.)

Kathleen,

I've eaten food in just about all the Chinatowns in North America and HK of course. I mean to get to some of the provinces in China proper one of these days too. Nothing like hometown food say I!

ktinkel
October 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Nothing like hometown food say I![Almost] nothing like Chinese food anywhere [good], say I. :)

ndebord
October 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM
[Almost] nothing like Chinese food anywhere [good], say I. :)

Kathleen,

Right now I'm partial to Flushing for my fix. Although I do think Scarborough in Toronto has great chefs these days and whenever I visit my relatives there I pig out.

ktinkel
October 7th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Right now I'm partial to Flushing for my fix. Although I do think Scarborough in Toronto has great chefs these days and whenever I visit my relatives there I pig out.Flushing is fabulous, if you can find a parking place, anyway. I love Spicy & Tasty, around the corner from the Sheraton. Genuine Sichuan, but it has gotten to be wildly popular.

When we lived in NYC we were only a few blocks from Chinatown. Back in the late 60s/early 70s that area was awash with wonderful chefs from many regions. Those were amazing times. Jack was at NYU and our friends included several Chinese grad students who could read the little menu strips on the wall, and the eating was fabulous. It was a bit like a floating craps game, though, as we followed favorite chefs who migrated from one place to another (and sometimes even uptown).

We also loved The Canton, which was upstairs on Mott Street in the 50s, and then moved around to Division Street, a few doors from the bridge. Fabulous Cantonese chef who specialized in banquets with dishes right out of the old books. Unfortunately, he retired four years ago; none of his kids inherited his gifts (or were willing to work killing hours 7 days a week).

We are really happy right now — a Sichuan place opened in our town (a place with no food, generally!) and is almost as good as some of the places we knew in the 70s in NYC. We just hope it survives; the day I see General Tso’s Chicken on the menu will be the day I cry. <g> But so far (after almost a year), so good.

Jeff
October 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
[Almost] nothing like Chinese food anywhere [good], say I. :)

A Dutch friend once said 'there are three kitchens; French, Chinese, and charcoal'

- Jeff

ndebord
October 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Flushing is fabulous, if you can find a parking place, anyway. I love Spicy & Tasty, around the corner from the Sheraton. Genuine Sichuan, but it has gotten to be wildly popular.

When we lived in NYC we were only a few blocks from Chinatown. Back in the late 60s/early 70s that area was awash with wonderful chefs from many regions. Those were amazing times. Jack was at NYU and our friends included several Chinese grad students who could read the little menu strips on the wall, and the eating was fabulous. It was a bit like a floating craps game, though, as we followed favorite chefs who migrated from one place to another (and sometimes even uptown).

We also loved The Canton, which was upstairs on Mott Street in the 50s, and then moved around to Division Street, a few doors from the bridge. Fabulous Cantonese chef who specialized in banquets with dishes right out of the old books. Unfortunately, he retired four years ago; none of his kids inherited his gifts (or were willing to work killing hours 7 days a week).

We are really happy right now — a Sichuan place opened in our town (a place with no food, generally!) and is almost as good as some of the places we knew in the 70s in NYC. We just hope it survives; the day I see General Tso’s Chicken on the menu will be the day I cry. <g> But so far (after almost a year), so good.

Kathleen,

Parking is next to impossible, but underground parking on Main Street just before the LIRR station is reasonable and how I park there now. Don't think I ever ate at the Canton, but there are many good places now to pick from. I used to live on Centre Street just south of Grand and literally fell out of bed and walked around the corner to pick and choose.

Good to hear that a decent joint has opened in your neck of the woods. That has been the blessing of our times: good Chinese food has finally made its way outside of the various Chinatowns themselves.

ktinkel
October 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Don't think I ever ate at the Canton, but there are many good places now to pick from. I used to live on Centre Street just south of Grand and literally fell out of bed and walked around the corner to pick and choose.We were on Spring, near West Broadway.

Good to hear that a decent joint has opened in your neck of the woods. That has been the blessing of our times: good Chinese food has finally made its way outside of the various Chinatowns themselves.Rarely, as far as Connecticut is concerned. This is one of two that I know about (and I am seriously interested).

ktinkel
October 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
A Dutch friend once said 'there are three kitchens; French, Chinese, and charcoal'Love it!

I like Indian, too. But French and Chinese cover a lot of ground!

ndebord
October 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Love it!

I like Indian, too. But French and Chinese cover a lot of ground!

Kathleen,

So I guess you're disinterested in a backyard, slow-cooked barbeque... Pork being the central ingredient?

ktinkel
October 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Kathleen,

So I guess you're disinterested in a backyard, slow-cooked barbeque... Pork being the central ingredient?Now did I say anything like that? Silly me. I love pork, when it is of decent quality and properly cooked.

Not too easy to find hereabouts, alas.

Judy G. Russell
October 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM
So I guess you're disinterested in a backyard, slow-cooked barbeque... Pork being the central ingredient?Invite me! Invite ME!!!

Mike
October 9th, 2008, 02:28 AM
...backyard, slow-cooked barbeque... Pork being the central ingredient?
Some of the authentic Mexican restaurants around here sell carnitas only on weekends, after they've roasted the weekly pig. Scrumptious!

Judy G. Russell
October 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Some of the authentic Mexican restaurants around here sell carnitas only on weekends, after they've roasted the weekly pig. Scrumptious!Mmmmmmm... carnitas..... mmmmmmmmm.

ndebord
October 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Now did I say anything like that? Silly me. I love pork, when it is of decent quality and properly cooked.

Not too easy to find hereabouts, alas.

kathleen,

I used to think the best BQ pork was anywhere on the Mississippi from New Orleans to East St. Louis (and my grandfather with his French tastebuds, but local eating habits), but my sister-in-law's slow-cooked pork is to die for and it's just over the river in Bayonne!

ndebord
October 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Some of the authentic Mexican restaurants around here sell carnitas only on weekends, after they've roasted the weekly pig. Scrumptious!

Mike,

Now that is a treat I've not enjoyed since I was in Milwaukee. Although, as I say elsewhere here, my sister-in-law's slow-cooked pork is to die for.

ktinkel
October 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I used to think the best BQ pork was anywhere on the Mississippi from New Orleans to East St. Louis (and my grandfather with his French tastebuds, but local eating habits), but my sister-in-law's slow-cooked pork is to die for and it's just over the river in Bayonne!I haven’t had enough experience, but would be willing to participate in a test!

Barbecue isn’t the only “cuisine” that makes much of pork: Chinese and Italian do all right too. But it all starts with the pig, and most of them have been ruined. Even the roast pork my mother made in the 50s would be better than most pork we get today.

Jeff
October 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Barbecue isn’t the only “cuisine” that makes much of pork: Chinese and Italian do all right too. But it all starts with the pig, and most of them have been ruined. Even the roast pork my mother made in the 50s would be better than most pork we get today.

We have an ambulance hereabouts that does pork pretty well too. The service covers two small towns, and about 250 square miles. There's various sources of funding, the most enjoyable of which is the yearly "pig roast" in the local town park. The roasting process is about the inverse square of the speed of that medical bus. The major contributor to the project is always locally grown, of course. The minor contributor gets to keep the ears.

- Jeff

ktinkel
October 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
We have an ambulance hereabouts that does pork pretty well too. The service covers two small towns, and about 250 square miles. There's various sources of funding, the most enjoyable of which is the yearly "pig roast" in the local town park. The roasting process is about the inverse square of the speed of that medical bus. The major contributor to the project is always locally grown, of course. The minor contributor gets to keep the ears.Sounds like something to look forward to!