PDA

View Full Version : thunderbird webmail extension

davidh
October 6th, 2008, 05:58 AM
FWIW I recommended it in a couple of posts here, and I'm still using it. But I'll caveat it. I don't think I'd recommend it for a "production" "heavy duty" email account because I've had a fair number of "timeouts".

DH

davidh
September 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
FWIW I recommended it in a couple of posts here, and I'm still using it. But I'll caveat it. I don't think I'd recommend it for a "production" "heavy duty" email account because I've had a fair number of "timeouts".

DHI only use the extension for Yahoo.
The Yahoo extension was recently updated.
It now seems easier to configure and more reliable. However, I have not used the update enough to give a solid thumbs up.

By the way, some multiprotocol IM programs will let you log into Yahoo web mail via browser with only one or two clicks, if I keep my IM ID and pw stored in the IM program. Examples: Pidgin and Trillian.

davidh
September 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I figure there's less of an unnecessary security and/or privacy exposure/vulnerability leaving ID & pw stored in IM than in browser.

davidh
September 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I only use the extension for Yahoo.
The Yahoo extension was recently updated.
It now seems easier to configure and more reliable. However, I have not used the update enough to give a solid thumbs up. My most recent test involved switching back to the Yahoo classic mail. Seems not to work or not to work well. So for now I'm sticking to the Yahoo new mail.

davidh
October 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Because of a bug I just apparently observed , I've decided not to use this extension to send Yahoo mail from Thunderbird.

There was an apparent glitch and a msg apparently went to the mailbox of somebody besides my intended correspondent. I have not seen this error ever happen with the actual browser accessed Yahoo web mail, so my best guess is that it's a bug in the extension.

I guess is disobeyed the law of KISS (keep it simple, stupid) :(

davidh
March 16th, 2010, 09:09 AM

DHThere have been some significant updates to this / these T-bird extension(s) in the last 2 years.

I just observed an apparent additional failure (bug) in this extension:

I sent to my yahoo address a email msg. containing both MS Word DOC files and Notepad-compatible text files (in this case with file extension ANS , for ANSI). The Yahoo web interface for Yahoo mail showed both the DOC and ANS files correctly (BOTH inline AND as attachments) in the web interface. BUT in Thunderbird view only showed the DOC files as attachments and possibly one (the first?) ANS file as an inline attachment/document.

I would guess that this type of error is more likely to be blamed on the extension itself. Furthermore, it seems to me that making this type of extension to become reliable is a HARD task, both because of the fact that the protocol (web interface) is somewhat of a moving target AND merely because the web interface is inherently tricky. Tricky in more or less the same sense that it is/would-be hard to make a reliable OLR (off-line reader) for the current Compuserve web based forums.

davidh
March 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I still decided not to "ditch" the T-bird webmail extension.

But I did make a new T-bird TAG to flag the fact that the message(s) in question are broken or truncated, etc. , as a warning that I need to view the web view to see the 'real' message.

The fact that the T-bird webmail extension offers a type of OLR capability justifies, for me at least, keeping the extension (e.g. in case my DSL goes down).

davidh
July 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Yahoo forced me to go to their latest web view of Yahoo webmail.

My current webmail extensions for T-bird still seem to work tho'.

Version History
28/06/2011
Webmail 1-4-1
Fixed for cookies

01/07/2011
Webmail 1-4-0
Updated for Thunderbird 5

Yahoo 1-5-0

Gmail 0-7-0

AOL 1-3-0
I bolded the two components I am now using.

Of course, the webmail extension for Yahoo did not work UNTIL I went to the web view of it and gave the acknowledgement that I acquiesced to the change.

I sent a test msg to myself, from another, non-Yahoo, acct. to make sure the T bird extension seems to work still.

As I think I mentioned in a related thread in the Parlor, these extensions to T bird might be useful to those who MUST access these email acct's by HTTP instead of POP3, because of limitations of the proxy/firewall on their LAN, etc.

davidh
July 3rd, 2013, 01:58 AM
Webmail - Yahoo 1.5.7 TB extension seems to have stopped working because Yahoo changed something on Yahoo webmail.

So these extensions are not to be relied on heavily.

davidh
December 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Webmail - Yahoo 1.5.7 TB extension seems to have stopped working because Yahoo changed something on Yahoo webmail.

So these extensions are not to be relied on heavily. I'm using version 1.5.8 now. It had stopped working for a week or so, but now seems ok again.

I think Yahoo changed something on their webmail site that affected the TB Yahoo webmail extension, and now maybe have "fixed" whatever "broke" the extension.

Apparently POP mail is now free for Yahoo email in USA, but it may have some problems, such as not allowing to leave mail on server when downloading it? So, I'll probably stay with this not too reliable extension a while longer.

FWIW, during the last couple days, Yahoo may also have temporarily broken and then fixed one-click opening of web webmail inbox from Yahoo Messenger (non browser) program via Firefox 26 browser (hoping you get my drift).

BTW, Merry Christmas, folks.