PDA

View Full Version : Eudora to Thunderbird

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Okay... I'm ready to kick over the traces (I think). I'm just about ready to move from Eudora to Thunderbird. Anything in particular I should know about importing my old mail to the new program?

davidh
September 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Okay... I'm ready to kick over the traces (I think). I'm just about ready to move from Eudora to Thunderbird. Anything in particular I should know about importing my old mail to the new program?
I can't comment on your specific situation.

But I recently moved some Thunderbird mail box file(s) from an old account in Tbird to a new one manually and it seemed to go smoothly. So if Eudora mail box files are same MBOX format you might still be able to move the files manually if there is not an automatic import process. (IIRC the source MBOX file I happened to use was from an IMAP account. I tried IMAP but switched back to POP3, since IMAP was even more confusing to me.)

DH

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
if Eudora mail box files are same MBOX format...I don't have a clue about that!

sidney
September 18th, 2008, 05:02 PM

There's a Mozillanine kb article on exactly that topic (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Issues_:_Import_From_Eudora).

They recommend using a program called Eudora Rescue (http://qwerky.50webs.com/eudorarescue/) which I haven't tried but did see suggested elsewhere. It is free for personal use.

If you use Thunderbird's built in capability to import from Eudora, all the messages show up as unread. Eudora Rescue takes care of that part of it, but be sure to read the Mozillanine page for the other steps to take along with running Eudora Rescue.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Okay... I'm ready to kick over the traces (I think). I'm just about ready to move from Eudora to Thunderbird. Anything in particular I should know about importing my old mail to the new program?I found the Eudora mail folders "In," "Sent," etc and renamed them "OldIn" etc.

Then copied them to the same location in my User Profile as the new TBird mail folders. They popped right up when I started TBird, and I could drag the messages wherever I wanted. I didn't want to chance having the folder names conflict.

I don't remember just what I did for the address book, but I don't think it was very complicated.

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
There's a Mozillanine kb article on exactly that topic (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Issues_:_Import_From_Eudora). They recommend using a program called Eudora Rescue (http://qwerky.50webs.com/eudorarescue/) which I haven't tried but did see suggested elsewhere. It is free for personal use. If you use Thunderbird's built in capability to import from Eudora, all the messages show up as unread. Eudora Rescue takes care of that part of it, but be sure to read the Mozillanine page for the other steps to take along with running Eudora Rescue.Thanks, Sidney. I hadn't thought about the problem of message status and this takes care of that!

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I found the Eudora mail folders "In," "Sent," etc and renamed them "OldIn" etc. Then copied them to the same location in my User Profile as the new TBird mail folders. They popped right up when I started TBird, and I could drag the messages wherever I wanted. I didn't want to chance having the folder names conflict. I don't remember just what I did for the address book, but I don't think it was very complicated.Terrific! I have a bunch of folders where I don't care about the message status and can use this for those.

davidh
September 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I don't have a clue about that!
IIRC , that is the case. However, the Tbird files seem to have NO EXTENSION. Perhaps the Eudora files do (maybe MBX ?). It's been more than 10 years since I used Eudora on a PC, so I don't remember.

DH

ktinkel
September 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I don't have a clue about that!I haven’t made that move, but others have, and I believe Thunderbird will just pick up your Eudora settings.

But there may be some things that do not come over (I am hazy on the details).

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2008, 12:42 AM
the Tbird files seem to have NO EXTENSION. Perhaps the Eudora files do (maybe MBX ?).Yeah they have various extensions. I'm noy sure I'll do this just yet. It took me about five hours tonight just to get ball the #$%@$# hardware disconnected and moved out of the way, the computer desk cleaned up, and the new stuff moved in and connected. I'm pooped!!!

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I haven’t made that move, but others have, and I believe Thunderbird will just pick up your Eudora settings. But there may be some things that do not come over (I am hazy on the details).I'm hazy on it too. I suspect I'm going to concentrate first on getting Eudora up and running on this new computer. Then I'll worry about making the move to Thunderbird. (I'm thrilled by the new computer -- a quad core -- but oh my... I had forgotten what a hassle it was to set up a new computer!!!

Mike
September 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Adding to Sidney's excellent advice, I'll note there's a T-bird extension called ImportExportTools (Mboximport enhanced) (https://nic-nac-project.org/%7Ekaosmos/mboximport-en.html), which can import a single Eudora filder. I found it very helpful when I installed T-bird on my mother's computer last December and a couple of folders (Eudora folders, not Windows folders) did not convert properly. I was able to re-import those individual folders.

Note that the converted messages will not have the complete "message source" that messages retrieved by T-bird will have. Eudora helpfully discards the message source once the HTML and attachments are extracted. Hopefully, this won't be an issue, but if it is, you've been warned. :-)

sidney
September 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Adding to Sidney's excellent advice, I'll note there's a T-bird extension called ImportExportTools (Mboximport enhanced) (https://nic-nac-project.org/%7Ekaosmos/mboximport-en.html)

Yes, I use that one all the time to deal with email messages that are forwarded as attachments. I can save the attachment to a file, then right click on a folder to use the extension to import the saved file as an ordinary email message. It's the only way I've found to be able to do things like reply to an email when it has been forwarded to me as an attachment.

-- sidney

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Adding to Sidney's excellent advice, I'll note there's a T-bird extension called ImportExportTools (Mboximport enhanced) (https://nic-nac-project.org/%7Ekaosmos/mboximport-en.html), which can import a single Eudora filder. I found it very helpful when I installed T-bird on my mother's computer last December and a couple of folders (Eudora folders, not Windows folders) did not convert properly. I was able to re-import those individual folders.Thanks, Mike! I'll grab that when I'm ready to try this (I had forgotten how much work was involved in setting up a new computer...)

Note that the converted messages will not have the complete "message source" that messages retrieved by T-bird will have. Eudora helpfully discards the message source once the HTML and attachments are extracted. Hopefully, this won't be an issue, but if it is, you've been warned. :-)I hear you and I consider myself warned!

ndebord
September 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Judy,

Have you thought about using Seamonkey instead? (Two gecko engines running otherwise.)

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Have you thought about using Seamonkey instead? (Two gecko engines running otherwise.)Actually, no. I found in the past using the Mozilla suite that very often the components were out of sync: the browser would be updated; the email reader not. I'd rather be able to pick and choose.

Mike
September 20th, 2008, 02:33 AM
...email messages that are forwarded as attachments...
Oooh! I hadn't considered doing it that way! I'll give it a try next time I'm in that situation. Thanks, Sidney!

Mike
September 20th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks, Mike! I'll grab that when I'm ready to try this (I had forgotten how much work was involved in setting up a new computer...)
I started doing that in June when I got this computer. I'm still not done yet. <g> (But I am functional--I have managed to migrate 97% of the stuff I need.)

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I started doing that in June when I got this computer. I'm still not done yet. <g> (But I am functional--I have managed to migrate 97% of the stuff I need.)I've got most of what I need migrated and have mountable images of everything from the old computer, but am still encountering minor issues (such as the unlock code for one of my programs not working and no response from the company that promised to send out a new one in 15 minutes...).

Mike
September 21st, 2008, 03:47 AM
the unlock code for one of my programs not working and no response from the company that promised to send out a new one in 15 minutes
Could it be caught in a spam filter?

Glad to hear everything else is migrated.

I removed the disk drives from the old computer before I recycled it, so I should be able to retrieve the data on them at any point. (I have a device that I can connect to any disk drive and plug into a USB port and access the drive.)

Judy G. Russell
September 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Could it be caught in a spam filter?I don't think so. I run all my mail through Mailwasher so I apply the filters rather than having it done automatically. I may have to email the company tomorrow.

I removed the disk drives from the old computer before I recycled it, so I should be able to retrieve the data on them at any point. (I have a device that I can connect to any disk drive and plug into a USB port and access the drive.)"Recycling" for me usually means passing the computer on to another family member!

Mike
September 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
"Recycling" for me usually means passing the computer on to another family member!
You still can remove the existing hard drive and give it to someone else (perhaps putting another hard drive in it first). I'm assuming you have the original OS disks for it, so you can pass them along, too.

Judy G. Russell
September 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
You still can remove the existing hard drive and give it to someone else (perhaps putting another hard drive in it first). I'm assuming you have the original OS disks for it, so you can pass them along, too.As a matter of fact, I actually do have the OS disk. I can't find a bunch of other stuff, but that I did find!

Mike
September 23rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
As a matter of fact, I actually do have the OS disk.
There you go! Just send it with the computer, sans the hard drive. The lucky recipient can get a hard drive for rather cheap, and either can install the original OS, or some other OS of his/her choice (such as Linux). And you'll still have the hard drive with yet another backup of all your data, including the hidden files tucked away in your profile or the \Windows directory or elsewhere.

Believe it or not, I've needed a couple of files that I found in obscure places after I'd removed the drive. Cheap insurance!

Peter Creasey
September 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
I found in the past using the Mozilla suite that very often the components were out of sync: the browser would be updated; the email reader not. I'd rather be able to pick and choose.

Judy, I really like SeaMonkey.

A lot of people feel that SeaMonkey is faster and more nimble and efficient, including with resource usage.

Judy G. Russell
September 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
A lot of people feel that SeaMonkey is faster and more nimble and efficient, including with resource usage.I appreciate that, and will at least look at it when I'm ready to make this move. As of now there's too much else that I need to get settled on the new computer, so I've put this issue on the back burner for the time being.

Gail Sanders
October 16th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Judy, I really like SeaMonkey.

A lot of people feel that SeaMonkey is faster and more nimble and efficient, including with resource usage.

Peter,

I'm going to give Seamonkey a try, as TB has been acting very erratic lately - losing folders temporarily, moving them to non-traditional places in an account, etc. If you've ever used TB, how do you think the 2 programs compare (when TB is acting normally)?

TIA,
Gail