Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Okay...

'Fess up.

Who else has already finished it?

(Where's Book 7 already yet???)

Peter Creasey
July 18th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Judy, I saw where Ms Rowling only made $36,000,000 yesterday...something like 250,000 sales per hour!!!

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Judy, I saw where Ms Rowling only made $36,000,000 yesterday...something like 250,000 sales per hour!!!
Oh I can believe that. I was at Hilton Head SC on vacation with my brother and his family. We reserved two copies at the Barnes & Noble there. They had sold something in excess of 600 copies in the first half hour -- and Hilton Head is really fairly small!

davidh
July 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Who else has already finished it?

I had trouble keeping up with a couple forums when I had TAPCIS. I don't think I could read messages and a book too :-(

Bill Hirst
July 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I had trouble keeping up with a couple forums when I had TAPCIS. I don't think I could read messages and a book too :-(
You have two eyes, don't you? You just need to work on your multitasking. Yeah, like I should be giving advice. I can't even remember to eat when I'm reading messages.

davidh
July 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM
You have two eyes, don't you?

Sometimes ,-)

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 03:59 PM
That explains it. I was on vacation when I got the book... and finished it less than 24 hours later.

Lindsey
July 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Okay...

'Fess up.
You're looking for confessions? Here's mine: I never got past Book 2. I loved the first one; I found the second one a major disappointment, and I just have never been motivated to read the rest of the series.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
They certainly are inconsistent, but I'm sorry you didn't read on. I thought, in particular, Books 4 and 5 were outstanding. (Six is basically a set-up for the wrap-up in Book Seven, so it's something to be read while waiting for the last book.)

Lindsey
July 18th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Hmmm, well, OK--maybe I'll work through to 4 and see what I think.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Give it a try. I thought 4 and 5 were both truly excellent. Six is a bit disappointing, because so much is left hanging, but I'll forgive her if seven is as good as I hope it will be.

PeteHall
July 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
"We spent months thinking up bright ideas to promote one of the few books that needs absolutely no promotion whatsoever. We cancel all leave and open up in the middle of the night. Then we discover that Asda(*) down the road is selling it for 8.96(**), and that everyone's gone there to buy it." - manager with one of the major bookshop chains

(*UK supermarket chain owned by Walmart)
(**UK list price 16.99, typical discount price ~12)

Judy G. Russell
July 23rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
Oh OUCH! That would be infuriating, wouldn't it??? It turns out the supermarkets here also ended up selling it for a bit less than the bookstores -- but the bookstores were more fun.

Lindsey
July 23rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
but the bookstores were more fun.
Border's here had the entrance done up like the entrance to Hogwart's, and had piped in some of the soundtrack from the original Harry Potter movie.

I was really surprised to see their parking lot nearly empty on that first Saturday afternoon, though. I can only hope they had a big crowd around midnight Friday. I have a friend who works at Books-A-Million; he said they did a pretty brisk business that night.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 08:56 AM
From what I've heard, there were fairly big crowds everywhere at midnight and then Saturday itself was pretty normal. Which makes me wish I'd slept in Friday night and gotten up early Saturday! (There was a BIG crowd at Hilton Head -- my brother and I were, respectively, customers 553 and 554 for the book, and there was still a fairly big line behind us.)

Lindsey
July 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Which makes me wish I'd slept in Friday night and gotten up early Saturday!
Yeah, but--then you wouldn't have been part of the EVENT.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Sleep is an event!

Lindsey
July 24th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Sleep is an event!
Oh, a Harry Potter slumber party--now there's an idea!!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
ROFL! I know some bookstores actually did have such things. (From CNN in 2003: "The Barnes & Noble in Minnesota's Mall of America transformed a section into "Potter Town" and other stores booked magicians and sponsored slumber parties." And from the Marine Independent Journal in 2005: " At Point Reyes Books in Point Reyes Station, kids whacked a Harry Potter piata and took rides in a motorcycle sidecar before about two dozen of them settled into sleeping bags for a slumber party. 'I serve sticky buns and hot chocolate from Bovine Bakery in the morning," said owner Steve Costa, who holds a Potter release party every time a new installment comes out. "It's great to have a lot of local kids and kids here on vacation so excited to read.' ")

Lindsey
July 24th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Sticky buns and hot chocolate? Ooooh, I think I may be headed to Point Reyes when Book 7 comes out...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 09:24 PM
It did sound awfully good, didn't it?

Lindsey
July 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM
It did sound awfully good, didn't it?
Yes--especially the sticky buns.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 24th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah... sticky buns would be my absolute downfall if I let them. If I lived close enough to a bakery to smell 'em I'd be 600 pounds...

Mike Landi
July 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I agree with you. Book 2 was no big deal. Three was an opening to the rest of the series and six was a ton of setup.