PDA

View Full Version : Vacation with toddlers

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I just got back from a week at Disney's Hilton Head resort where I discovered the real reason why someone without kids should NOT go on vacation with toddlers (my nephews are 4 years and 19 months old). It's that they have an almost unlimited repertoire of catchy songs (good morning George) that you will end up humming (the bunny... the bunny... oh I ate the bunny) for days afterwards (we are the pirates who don't do anything).

I can just see myself (everybody's got a water buffalo) trying to explain (Barbara Manatee... you are the one for me) this to my co-workers (you are his cheeseburger) or worse to my students (If my lips ever left my mouth, packed a bag and headed south, that'd be too bad, I'd be so sad) in the months to come (I'm a viking! And I've come to take your land, oh yes! I've come to take your land, and I've come to burn your crops and steal your horses. And I've come to ... step on your chickens! And soil your quilts)...

Bill Hirst
July 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM
You should have taught them "This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends....."

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2005, 07:33 PM
You should have taught them "This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends....."
AIEEEEEE!!!!!

sidney
July 17th, 2005, 07:48 PM
"I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
everbody's nerves,
NERVES!

I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
And this is how it goes

Da-da-da-Da-Daaaa

I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
everbody's nerves,
NERVES!

I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
NERVES!
And this is how it goes

Da-da-da-Da-Da...

[repeat n times]"

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
"...[repeat n times]"
AIEEEEEE!!!!!

Bill Hirst
July 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM
AIEEEEEE!!!!!
My work here is done, citizens.

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 04:01 PM
My work here is done, citizens.
<whimper> and what tune is that sung to...??? </whimper>

Guerri Stevens
July 18th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I assume these kids are too young for 100 bottles of beer on the wall.

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 08:12 PM
At the moment... but not for long. The 19-month-old is already trying to grab beer bottles out of adults' hands...

Lindsey
July 18th, 2005, 10:38 PM
The 19-month-old is already trying to grab beer bottles out of adults' hands...
Sounds like my brother Stuart...

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
July 18th, 2005, 11:32 PM
And look what happened to him! (How are the triplets anyway?)

Lindsey
July 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM
(How are the triplets anyway?)
The triplets are doing great. And their parents are doing...well, actually,their parents are doing OK, too. Stu brought them up to my parents' house over Fourth of July weekend, and they had a blast in the swimming pool.

They have become big Star Wars fans. They've seen all three of the original trilogy, and sometimes when they're playing, they adopt the names of the characters. Melissa calls herself "Chewy," Christina is "Princess Leia", and both girls call Jamie "Luke Skywalker." They decided their dad is Jabba the Hutt.

--Lindsey

chm
July 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM
You have very musical nephews. :)

My kids were quite fond of "Fish Head" and "Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer."

When I first saw your post I thought, Isn't "Vacation with toddlers" an oxymoron? As I recall vacations are about not being with the little dears.

Anyway, you mean you went to a Disney park and don't have "It's a Small World" repeating in your head?

Currently with five grandsons under the age of seven :eek: , all local,

Granny C.

chm
July 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I assume these kids are too young for 100 bottles of beer on the wall.
Great minds working alike. I was just about to bring up that little tune. ;)

Judy G. Russell
July 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM
They decided their dad is Jabba the Hutt.
ROFL! Poor Stuart...

Judy G. Russell
July 19th, 2005, 08:49 PM
you mean you went to a Disney park and don't have "It's a Small World" repeating in your head?
Nope, not a theme park. A vacation club resort. But now I'll be dreaming about "Small World"... or nightmaring about it... for weeks. You fiend.

Lindsey
July 19th, 2005, 10:14 PM
ROFL! Poor Stuart...
That's what he gets for eating all the leftover hamburgers when they go out to McDonald's to eat...

--Lindsey

Bill Hirst
July 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Nope, not a theme park. A vacation club resort. But now I'll be dreaming about "Small World"... or nightmaring about it... for weeks. You fiend.
Yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate's life for me.

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!

-Bill

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
But... but... but I like the Pirates of the Caribbean!

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I think there's something in the Daddy genes that makes them want to finish the food left on everyone else's plate. My father did it; I spent last week watching my brother do it; now you say your brother does it. Weird.

chm
July 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Oops, sorry!

Related, recently I've had a couple of songs running through my head while I'm supposed to be sleeping: that strange "Dust in the Wind" car commercial and the amusing (to me) happy dancing old guy at Six Flags' soundtrack.

Does anyone have a clue as to what I'm referring to, BTW?

100 bottles of beer on the wall,
a 100 bottles of beer...

Er, I'm back to work now,

Carolyn

Lindsey
July 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Yo, ho, yo, ho, a pirate's life for me.
Did you know that the original "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride used real human skeletons? The Disney people didn't think the fake skeletons that were available at the time looked sufficiently authentic...

--Lindsey

Lindsey
July 20th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I think there's something in the Daddy genes that makes them want to finish the food left on everyone else's plate.
Come to think of it, I think my father did, too, but only because my mother would take the leftover food off our our plates and put it on his.

Something to do with not wanting to see things go to waste, I guess.

--Lindsey

Bill Hirst
July 20th, 2005, 10:38 PM
But... but... but I like the Pirates of the Caribbean!
Take two trips on the monorail and meet me at the Polynesian. We'll do the luau.

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Something to do with not wanting to see things go to waste, I guess.
That would make sense with your father's generation and mine... but what's the excuse for your brother and mine other than maybe imprinting or some generic "it's a guy thing"?

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd go that far!

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Did you know that the original "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride used real human skeletons? The Disney people didn't think the fake skeletons that were available at the time looked sufficiently authentic...
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww..............

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Er... no.

chm
July 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM
As Judy said - Ewwwww! (This is my day for "ewww"s it appears.)

Now, do they still use real skeletons?

Down the road from Disneyland,

chm

chm
July 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Sorry. This must be a Los Angeles thing.

Anybody here watch the L.A. TV stations? They might know what I'm talking about.

That funny dancing old guy at Six Flags is well worth watching, BTW. IMHO.

chm

Lindsey
July 21st, 2005, 06:22 PM
but what's the excuse for your brother and mine other than maybe imprinting or some generic "it's a guy thing"?
"It's a guy thing" works for me!

--Lindsey

Lindsey
July 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
Now, do they still use real skeletons?
I certainly hope not! (The skeleton thing was a question on last week's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR.)

--Lindsey

Mike
July 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
that strange "Dust in the Wind" car commercial and the amusing (to me) happy dancing old guy at Six Flags' soundtrack.

I hate the latter. I can't stand hearing it, and I can't stand seeing that freak dancing around. I hit "mute" and make sure not to glance in the direction of the TV for at least 60 seconds.

The former, "Dust in the Wind," is a song by Kansas, on the album Point of Know Return, from 1977.

PeteHall
July 23rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
"I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
everybody's nerves,
NERVES!
everbody's nerves,
NERVES!
[repeat n times]"

http://www.noisemonkey.com/issue07/#story2

Dick K
July 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
That funny dancing old guy at Six Flags is well worth watching, BTW.You sure it is an "old guy"? Six Flags is keeping the dancer's identity a closely-held secret, but a lot of folks think it is a younger woman in drag and heavy makeup.

chm
July 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I certainly hope not! (The skeleton thing was a question on last week's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on NPR.)

--Lindsey
I get my late Saturday morning NPR shows mixed up.

Is this the quiz where they make up three news items and the contestants try to figure out which news item is the genuine article?

The skeleton one was the made-up one, right?

chm

chm
July 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM
You sure it is an "old guy"? Six Flags is keeping the dancer's identity a closely-held secret, but a lot of folks think it is a younger woman in drag and heavy makeup.
Ah, so someone here actually does know what I'm talking about. : )

No, I am not sure of anything about this "old guy", especially since I suspect there are also some special effects going on as well.

Regardless, I enjoy him, his dance, and his tune (as long as it doesn't run through my head at bedtime!).

BTW, I would like to think an old guy could be that lively and joyful and would want to be. It means there's hope for all of us.

chm, wishfully thinking

chm
July 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I hate the latter. I can't stand hearing it, and I can't stand seeing that freak dancing around. I hit "mute" and make sure not to glance in the direction of the TV for at least 60 seconds.

The former, "Dust in the Wind," is a song by Kansas, on the album Point of Know Return, from 1977.
If you're young enough to not associate "Dust in the Wind" with Led Zeppelin, then you're young enough to find the "old guy" annoying. ; )

If I were younger I probably would, too.

I hit "mute" and make sure not to glance in the direction of the TV for at least 60 seconds.

We tend to do that when Bush comes on...

chm

Lindsey
July 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I get my late Saturday morning NPR shows mixed up.
It plays here on Sunday afternoon, but yes, the "guess which one of these three news items it the real thing" is one of the things that is included in it. But the skeleton story is real, and I don't think it was part of the "choose the real one" segment. I think this was one of the items they asked one of the celebrity guests about, but I'd have to go back and listen to the show to be sure.

--Lindsey

Mike
July 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM
If you're young enough to not associate "Dust in the Wind" with Led Zeppelin, then you're young enough to find the "old guy" annoying. ; )
Ah, but you asked about the version played in the commercials. <g>