PDA

View Full Version : How does this achieve anything?

Mike
August 30th, 2008, 03:22 AM
On Friday's news, a lesbian couple (who plan to get married soon) was interviewed (http://www.ktvu.com/video/17340609/index.html) about McCain's selection of Palin for veep candidate.

One of the ladies emphatically stated that since Obama did not pick Hillary as his running mate, she was going to vote for McCain to send a message to the Democratic party. Her rationale is that 18M people voted for Hillary during the primaries, and now they are being ignored.

The other lady hasn't finalized her decision, but is leaning toward voting for McCain, too.

So she's going to vote for someone who wants to take away her right to get married, take away her right to reproductive choice, [insert list of other ills here], just to make a point to the Demos?

What am I missing?

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM
On Friday's news, a lesbian couple (who plan to get married soon) was interviewed (http://www.ktvu.com/video/17340609/index.html) about McCain's selection of Palin for veep candidate.
One of the ladies emphatically stated that since Obama did not pick Hillary as his running mate, she was going to vote for McCain to send a message to the Democratic party. Her rationale is that 18M people voted for Hillary during the primaries, and now they are being ignored. The other lady hasn't finalized her decision, but is leaning toward voting for McCain, too. So she's going to vote for someone who wants to take away her right to get married, take away her right to reproductive choice, , just to make a point to the Demos?

What am I missing?You're clearly missing people's capacity for idiocy. Remember the Nader voters from 2000 who gave us eight years of George W. Bush? We may end up feeling [I]charitable about them if women like those end up giving us McCain-Palin.

Dodi Schultz
August 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
You put it so mildly, Mike. She is in favor of no abortions, ever; no exceptions for rape or incest. She is also in favor of the teaching of creationism and of drilling for oil in the ANWR. And she clearly believes that, having been mayor of the pop.-6000 (some sources say 8000) town of Wasilla twice and governor for a year and a half, she's qualified to assume the Presidency of the US of A, should something dire befall a President McCain.

She also evidently believes it's okay to go off on the campaign trail with four kids at home--including a five-month-old infant with Down syndrome. So much for family values.

I've heard that McCain has a great sense of humor. Maybe later today we'll hear, "Just kidding, my friends, just kidding!"

--DS

Jeff
August 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
You're clearly missing people's capacity for idiocy. Remember the Nader voters from 2000 who gave us eight years of George W. Bush? We may end up feeling charitable about them if women like those end up giving us McCain-Palin.

Damn. I keep reading that as McCain-Pain. I must need re-education. No voter behind left.

- Yeff

Mike
August 31st, 2008, 04:04 AM
You're clearly missing people's capacity for idiocy.
I guess I continue to overestimate the intelligence of the American public. (With apologies to Henry Mencken)

Mike
August 31st, 2008, 04:08 AM
Someone in my community asked:

Alaska population · 670,053
San Francisco population · 744,041
Is the mayor of San Francisco qualified to be Vice-President too?

To which someone responded, "Not to be political but the mayor of San Francisco isn't qualified to do much of anything"

The first person replied, "Exactly my point."

Mike
August 31st, 2008, 04:10 AM
No voter behind left.
<Snicker>
After years of hearing "No child left behind," I ROFLed when I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Bush-Cheney: No child left a dime."

Mike
August 31st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Soon after posting, I encountered this article (http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=4954). How many people are going to be scammed by one of these sites?

Dodi Schultz
August 31st, 2008, 08:50 AM
A lot of people are going to be scammed by fake help-hurricane-victims sites, Mike (a lot of people send money to displaced Nigerians, too)--but shouldn't that have been a new thread?

Anyway, getting back to the election and Palin: I've just read that part of the GOP platform is no abortions, nohow, never, with no exceptions for rape, incest, or even to save the woman's life. I believe that's Palin's position, too. I gather that it wasn't McCain's but that he goes along with it.

--DS

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2008, 01:22 PM
I guess I continue to overestimate the intelligence of the American public. (With apologies to Henry Mencken)I have my fingers crossed that Mencken (and I) will be proved wrong, but after 2000 and 2004, I don't bank on anything from the voters any more. And the racial issue is real, here, unfortunately. I suspect there are a lot of "I will NOT vote for a black man" types out there, and there's not a thing in this world we can do to change their minds.

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've just read that part of the GOP platform is no abortions, nohow, never, with no exceptions for rape, incest, or even to save the woman's life. I believe that's Palin's position, too.It is indeed her position. Back to the back alleys and the coathangers, ladies!

Mike
September 1st, 2008, 01:38 AM
...shouldn't that have been a new thread?
Naw. It was related to overestimating the intelligence of the public.

Mike
September 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM
I suspect there are a lot of "I will NOT vote for a black man" types out there...
I also fear there are a number of people who will publicly state, "I don't care about his skin color," but when they're in the privacy of the voting booth, will vote according to their inner prejudices.

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
I also fear there are a number of people who will publicly state, "I don't care about his skin color," but when they're in the privacy of the voting booth, will vote according to their inner prejudices.Agreed. I can only hope that the GOP shows its true colors and enough people react appropriately...

Mike
September 2nd, 2008, 02:13 AM
Agreed. I can only hope that the GOP shows its true colors and enough people react appropriately...
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Judy G. Russell
September 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Be afraid. Be very afraid.I am... oh, I am...

Mike
September 3rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
I am... oh, I am...
I guess that's two of us.