PDA

View Full Version : playing DVD from ISO file

davidh
August 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I ripped a DVD to an ISO file using "ISO RECORDER" power-toy-type Windows shell extension.

I happened to have mplayer (not Windows Media Player) installed on my XP system used the MPUI interface for that mplayer to play the ISO file ok.

But since mplayer+MPUI is not so user friendly to install for novices, I wonder if there is a Windows freeware program that will play ISO files that installs itself without the user having to understand what's going on?

DH

fhaber
August 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
(Since this is a squeaky-clean all-leather Forum that kowtows cheerfully to the MPAA and RIAA, I'm going to assume this is an uncopyrighted video, or that you've ripped out the DVD protection and put bags over the actors' heads.)

You might try mounting the ISO with something like the free version of MagicISO, et. al. Bring RAM, if you want this to work smoothly with a big DVD image.

davidh
August 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I tried installing VLC media player to play my ISO file. "Open file" did not work.

However this hint DID work:

Play ripped DVDs with VLC

Example URLs to Open and play a DVD ISO:

Windows - dvd://c:/somedirectory/dvdimage.iso

Linux - dvd:///home/username/dvdimages/dvdimage.iso

http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2007/07/play_ripped_dvds_with_vlc.html

Even tho' it did work, I still had to hit the "next chapter" button to get it to play.

OOPS!

Above is probably unnessary. Tried regular "open file" and just hitting next chapter button and it worked just fine too. Apparently this had something to do with the fact that the original DVD had no menu or a degenerate menu or something like that.

I assume that both opensource mplayer and VLC both still have to play the ISO by some such means as streaming/virtual-diskifying the ISO file somewhere "under the hood".

DH

P.S. Maybe there is a way to specify the chapter (or track on a raw audio file) as input when opening so it will go directly to the desired chapter when starting to play.

heinz57g
September 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM
the new version of VLC, out since yesterday, in think 0.9.2., plays
ISO files off the shelf, no ifs and buts, and tricks needed.

and very well too, better than any of my other 'commercial' players.

greetings - heinz -