PDA

View Full Version : Old Arms Bad!

ndebord
August 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM
O.K., it's a hokie post, but...

WHAT??? Damon in centerfield and with the manager's blessing? And what does he do? Drop a couple of balls and that makes the difference in bad luck Rasner's game who loses 2-1 to Burnett. Geez. The bulldog goes up against one of the very best pitchers in baseball and matches him pitch for pitch and then loses because Damon is in centerfield? So that Matsui can DH (not Damon). I don't know what they're thinking. That they can make up enough games to make the playoffs in this fashion. I'd play the kids in the outfield.

<geez>

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
WHAT??? Damon in centerfield and with the manager's blessing?...<geez><geez> is the least of what I'm saying. This manager is a disaster.

ndebord
August 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
<geez> is the least of what I'm saying. This manager is a disaster.

Judy,

Did I really say GEEZ. My midwest roots must be showing. Let me correct myself.

<gggrrrrrrrr>

P.S. Damon didn't mess up tonight, but he only had 1 chance in the outfield and yes, the Yankees hit for Andy, but it seems, seldom for Rasner.

This team is flawed. Next year? Manny as DH.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Did I really say GEEZ. My midwest roots must be showing. Let me correct myself. <gggrrrrrrrr>That works too!

Mike Landi
August 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
That works too!
Daemon screwed up. I hope we do not see that again.

Judy G. Russell
August 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Daemon screwed up. I hope we do not see that again.I'd like to think of it as a one-time oooops. I'm sure Damon feels the same way!

ndebord
August 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Daemon screwed up. I hope we do not see that again.

Mike,

I hope Damon is out of the outfield. He hasn't had the arm for some time now to play that position, or any other outfield position. He's like Giambi at first; a liability.

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Mike,

I hope Damon is out of the outfield. He hasn't had the arm for some time now to play that position, or any other outfield position. He's like Giambi at first; a liability.
To be fair, Giambi has not been bad at 1B this year. He is no gold glove, but I don't think he is the liability he was.

However...what the @#%^!? was that last night? The stinkin' Pirates don't get their butts handed to them like that. What I do not like was how quickly the team gives up.

They have no faith in themselves or desire to win. They are too 'fat and happy', and frankly don't look like a winning team. They look like a team that is happy to cash their big checks and they look like they live in the aura of past victories.

Judy G. Russell
August 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
However...what the @#%^!? was that last night? The stinkin' Pirates don't get their butts handed to them like that. What I do not like was how quickly the team gives up. They have no faith in themselves or desire to win. They are too 'fat and happy', and frankly don't look like a winning team. They look like a team that is happy to cash their big checks and they look like they live in the aura of past victories.They clearly have given up for this year. And frankly, with the way they're playing, so have I. I have no hope of even being in the wildcard hunt by the end of next month.

ndebord
August 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
They clearly have given up for this year. And frankly, with the way they're playing, so have I. I have no hope of even being in the wildcard hunt by the end of next month.

Judy,

The Yankees could win the wildcard, but it will take one huge winning streak to do so and they have to pass Boston, Chicago and Minnesota to get there. Not bloody likely.

Mike Landi
August 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
They clearly have given up for this year. And frankly, with the way they're playing, so have I. I have no hope of even being in the wildcard hunt by the end of next month.
I'll hold out a slim chance for the wild card. My main hope is that Moose gets 20 wins this year.

(It did look good to see them come back and win against the O's.)

ndebord
August 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'll hold out a slim chance for the wild card. My main hope is that Moose gets 20 wins this year.

(It did look good to see them come back and win against the O's.)

Mike,

Moose probably won't make 20 this year. Too many missed opportunites because of the bullpen and yes, even Mo.

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Not bloody likely.The understatement of the season!

Mike Landi
August 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Mike,

Moose probably won't make 20 this year. Too many missed opportunites because of the bullpen and yes, even Mo.
<sigh>

A disappointing season all around.

Carl Pavano looked better than I expected. I'd keep him in the rotation.

ndebord
August 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
<sigh>

A disappointing season all around.

Carl Pavano looked better than I expected. I'd keep him in the rotation.

Mike,

Yup. Go figure? I guess ligament replacement surgery qualifies him for "new arm" status. (And perhaps the end of his jinx, if that is what the past 3 years have been for him.)

Mike Landi
August 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Mike,

Yup. Go figure? I guess ligament replacement surgery qualifies him for "new arm" status. (And perhaps the end of his jinx, if that is what the past 3 years have been for him.)
Have you heard Joba's status? If he is on the way back, and if Pavano can pitch the way he did Saturday, we could end the year in third place. <g>

ndebord
August 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Have you heard Joba's status? If he is on the way back, and if Pavano can pitch the way he did Saturday, we could end the year in third place. <g>

Mike,

The way I hear it, Phil Hughes is next up, not Joba who just threw 30 pitches pain free. Not enough to be promoted. But Hughes ERA is over 8 at AAA, soooooo....

(I'm still pissed about Girardi's handling of Giese.) I know he's a no-name pitcher, but galdarn it, he was really, really good.

P.S. Look for this newcomer from the Mexican league: Alfredo Aceves. Pitched extremely well at Scranton against real big leaguers. Next year I think, if he continues to improve, he'll be up with the club.

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Have you heard Joba's status? If he is on the way back, and if Pavano can pitch the way he did Saturday, we could end the year in third place. <g>Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!

ndebord
August 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Mike,

Beantown
Tue, Wakefield vs Petitte
Wed, Byrd vs Ponson
Thu, Lester vs Mussina

Toronto
Fri, Burnett vs Ponson
Sat, ?
Sun, ?

Tampa Bay
Sept 2,3,4 Yankees at Fish

These are the games. IF we sweep, we're back in. IF not... there's always next year (the refrain of the Cubs!)

Judy G. Russell
August 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
(the refrain of the Cubs!)Not this year, it isn't...

Mike Landi
August 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Mike,

The way I hear it, Phil Hughes is next up, not Joba who just threw 30 pitches pain free. Not enough to be promoted. But Hughes ERA is over 8 at AAA, soooooo....

(I'm still pissed about Girardi's handling of Giese.) I know he's a no-name pitcher, but galdarn it, he was really, really good.

P.S. Look for this newcomer from the Mexican league: Alfredo Aceves. Pitched extremely well at Scranton against real big leaguers. Next year I think, if he continues to improve, he'll be up with the club.
'Next year' is the opt phrase. This team has no heart, and it shows.

(although Andy got gamed by the home plate ump tonight)

ndebord
August 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Not this year, it isn't...

Judy,

When I was in middle school I used take the el from Van Buren and watch the Cubbies... lose when it counted... a genetic trait.

Judy G. Russell
August 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM
(although Andy got gamed by the home plate ump tonight)Doesn't matter. It's way too late to salvage this season.

Judy G. Russell
August 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
When I was in middle school I used take the el from Van Buren and watch the Cubbies... lose when it counted... a genetic trait.We'll have to see. I'd love to see them go all the way (as long as there's no chance we could!).

Mike Landi
August 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Doesn't matter. It's way too late to salvage this season.
I'm watching them now. I think we should re-sign Abreau. The guy can play right field and has a rifle for an arm!

Mike Landi
August 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!
I hear you...but we are just not that good.

ndebord
August 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
We'll have to see. I'd love to see them go all the way (as long as there's no chance we could!).

Judy,

OK, I'll give you this. If they play Beantown, I'll root for the Cubbies.

<weak grin>

ndebord
August 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I hear you...but we are just not that good.

Mike,

I've never seen the Yankees this snake bit. More injuries than you could shake a snake at. SIGH

Add in a couple of my pet peeves, like Girardi not handling pitching as well as he should and the hitters not living up to their press clips and you've got that 3rd place team.

And the middle relief corp tonight looked tired and it showed in the 8th inning when they gave up a ton of runs as the Beantowners ran up the score.

ndebord
August 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm watching them now. I think we should re-sign Abreau. The guy can play right field and has a rifle for an arm!

Mike,

Yup. Keep him in right field for another year and let's play Christian and Gardner for the rest of the year to see if one of them can become permanent out there. We need some youth asap.

Matsui can DH full-time next year (his walk year) and Gardner SHOULD take Damon's spot permanently. Who wil be the centefielder? Melky is hitting singles in AAA ball and he has never subscribed to being a smart hitter: Not enough walks, couldn't bunt if his life depended upon it.

Can play centerfield though. A big name centerfielder? Available??

And Manny is a free agent!

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I think we should re-sign Abreau. The guy can play right field and has a rifle for an arm!Yep, he's good. Watch them grade him for another Randy Johnson...

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
OK, I'll give you this. If they play Beantown, I'll root for the Cubbies.You (and I) would root for the Devil Incarnate if he played Beantown!

Judy G. Russell
August 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
we are just not that good.I wish I could find some basis on which to disagree with that statement, but... Even today's win was unimpressive.

ndebord
August 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I wish I could find some basis on which to disagree with that statement, but... Even today's win was unimpressive.

Judy,

Oh I don't know. Today's win was reminescent of 96. A low-scoring game with a come behind victory in the later innings. Moose was Mooose-nificant! And who is this guy Ransom at 1st Base?

Giambi was key too.

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Mike,

Yup. Keep him in right field for another year and let's play Christian and Gardner for the rest of the year to see if one of them can become permanent out there. We need some youth asap.

Matsui can DH full-time next year (his walk year) and Gardner SHOULD take Damon's spot permanently. Who wil be the centefielder? Melky is hitting singles in AAA ball and he has never subscribed to being a smart hitter: Not enough walks, couldn't bunt if his life depended upon it.

Can play centerfield though. A big name centerfielder? Available??

And Manny is a free agent!
I'm hoping Melky straightens out and comes back.

Manny...no way. We don't need the zoo that comes with him and he is not what he was.

Matsui as DH...sounds good.

We need a rotation! Hughes? Kennedy? Not the solution IMHO.

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Yep, he's good. Watch them grade him for another Randy Johnson...
Please no....

...BTW, Kenny Rogers is available. <gd&r>

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Mike,

I've never seen the Yankees this snake bit. More injuries than you could shake a snake at. SIGH

Add in a couple of my pet peeves, like Girardi not handling pitching as well as he should and the hitters not living up to their press clips and you've got that 3rd place team.

And the middle relief corp tonight looked tired and it showed in the 8th inning when they gave up a ton of runs as the Beantowners ran up the score.
A-Rod is back to trying to hit the 5 run HR every at bat.

Giambi came though yesterday however. Maybe he can spark some offense.

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I wish I could find some basis on which to disagree with that statement, but... Even today's win was unimpressive.
We were lucky, and Giambi had a clutch game. A good win is one where everyone participates, not just one guy.

Yesterday was just one guy.

I really feel for Moose. He should have 20 wins this year and this team is not going to allow him that.

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Judy,

Oh I don't know. Today's win was reminescent of 96. A low-scoring game with a come behind victory in the later innings. Moose was Mooose-nificant! And who is this guy Ransom at 1st Base?

Giambi was key too.
<stunned expression>

Did you just compliment Giambi? <g>

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Judy,

OK, I'll give you this. If they play Beantown, I'll root for the Cubbies.

<weak grin>
I'd like to see the Cubs finally win one.

Mike Landi
August 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
You (and I) would root for the Devil Incarnate if he played Beantown!
Isn't that an intra-team scrimmage?

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Moose was Mooose-nificant!Yeah... but the rest of it wasn't enough to matter and it won't spark the team into playing well the rest of the season.

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Isn't that an intra-team scrimmage?ROFL!!! Yeah, that works for me!

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I really feel for Moose. He should have 20 wins this year and this team is not going to allow him that.Yep. He has worked his heart out this year and not gotten the backup and support he should have.

ndebord
August 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah... but the rest of it wasn't enough to matter and it won't spark the team into playing well the rest of the season.

Judy,

Bite your tongue! Carl, (yes that Carl) Pavano led the Yankees to a 2-1 win over Burnett and Toronto! I have never thought that this year's team has lacked heart, but has been injured, old and with parts that don't always work well together. It's just that the numbers don't auger well for New York this year. We can't catch all 3 of the teams ahead of us for the wildcard. And to hope for first place would take a miracle collapse by Tampa and Boston.

Judy G. Russell
August 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Carl, (yes that Carl) Pavano led the Yankees to a 2-1 win over Burnett and Toronto!He did indeed look good. But there isn't enough time for it to matter.

Mike Landi
August 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
He did indeed look good. But there isn't enough time for it to matter.
You know, the Yanks have an option for Pavano for next year.....

Judy G. Russell
August 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
You know, the Yanks have an option for Pavano for next year.....The question is whether he can stay healthy that long! His record on that score isn't very good.

ndebord
August 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
You know, the Yanks have an option for Pavano for next year.....

Mike,

Yup. Thirteen Mil to find out if he can pitch an entire season!

Mike Landi
August 31st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Mike,

Yup. Thirteen Mil to find out if he can pitch an entire season!
Pitching is a tough commodity. Pavano may be a question mark, but he is available.

This weekend was a huge disappointment. No offense, and Petitte is tired. GAME OVER.

Judy G. Russell
August 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
GAME OVER.Sigh... it's been a long time since we headed into the post-season without being in the post-season.

Mike Landi
September 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Sigh... it's been a long time since we headed into the post-season without being in the post-season.
True, but this team is not playoff material. Cashman has a job to do and this team needs changes. And to think, I thought this team had so much promise in March...

Judy G. Russell
September 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM
And to think, I thought this team had so much promise in March...It did have promise, and to be fair some of the injury problems are nobody's fault. But geez... I sure hope the Cubs do well. Outside of that team, there's nobody I'd bother caring about (except to see Boston lose, of course).

ndebord
September 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
True, but this team is not playoff material. Cashman has a job to do and this team needs changes. And to think, I thought this team had so much promise in March...

Mike,

So did I. The two players who showed such promise, Cano and Cabrera, disappointed and the older players played their age and got injured.

And the lefthanders... where were the lefthanders? Yankee Stadium is built around having a couple of dominant starters who pitch from the left side. And not one lefthanded relief pitcher of any note? Unheard of. Poorly put together. Petitte is close to being done imo and it is too bad because he has tried mightily, but close (to being good) is only good in horseshoes.

In fairness to management, mismanagement from The Principal Owner has left the team a mess that has only been addressed in the last few years. And that rebuilding program at the minor league level is only now starting to bear fruit.

But next year, the wallets had better be emptied. They need to get younger and get better and it won't all be from below. A lefthanded starter for openers!