PDA

View Full Version : Eight is the luckiest number

ndebord
August 17th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Truly outrageous. Michael Phelps, that is. And his 7th Gold Medal was insane. This is what he had to say last night after it was all over and the Americans had won the relay and his place in history was set with 8 gold medals.

Phelps said he couldn't wait to not get in the pool Sunday. "That's what I'm looking forward to," he said. "Not doing anything. Not moving."

Judy G. Russell
August 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Truly outrageous. Michael Phelps, that is. And his 7th Gold Medal was insane."I loved every minute of it -- and the Sports Illustrated photos (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/oly.phelps.sequence/content.1.html?eref=T1) of the 7th win are amazing. If Cavic hadn't glided, if Phelps hadn't lunged...

ndebord
August 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I loved every minute of it -- and the Sports Illustrated photos (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/oly.phelps.sequence/content.1.html?eref=T1) of the 7th win are amazing. If Cavic hadn't glided, if Phelps hadn't lunged...

Phelps said that 9 out of 10 times, the half-stroke "chop" ensures you lose the race. The right way is to take a full stroke and glide to the wall, like the other guy did. This one time, a desperation tactic worked (doesn't hurt to have the wingspan of a Condor!).

Judy G. Russell
August 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
This one time, a desperation tactic worked (doesn't hurt to have the wingspan of a Condor!).Condor -- that's for sure! Just amazing! Sure has been fun watching him.

ndebord
August 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Condor -- that's for sure! Just amazing! Sure has been fun watching him.

Judy,

Oh, don't worry... you'll get to see lots of him! (product endorsements)

;-)

Judy G. Russell
August 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Oh, don't worry... you'll get to see lots of him! (product endorsements);-)Nah... remember that I don't watch TV very much and I don't eat Wheaties.

ndebord
August 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Nah... remember that I don't watch TV very much and I don't eat Wheaties.

Judy,

But you do eat waffles and pancakes.... <G>

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
But you do eat waffles and pancakes.... <G>What -- he's morphed into Aunt Jemima???

ndebord
August 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
What -- he's morphed into Aunt Jemima???

Judy,

Twelve thousand calories each and every day. His breakfast alone is more than I eat for 2 days.

<g,d&r>

Judy G. Russell
August 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Twelve thousand calories each and every day. His breakfast alone is more than I eat for 2 days.I suspect his activity level may also be a tad greater...

ndebord
August 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I suspect his activity level may also be a tad greater...

Judy,

My activity level was higher too... when I was twenty-three!

<VBG>

Dodi Schultz
August 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
I dunno about product endorsements--but he's got a contract to "write"' a book, said to be slated for release before the year is out. They'll need a really SPEEDY ghostwriter.

--DS

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I dunno about product endorsements--but he's got a contract to "write"' a book, said to be slated for release before the year is out. They'll need a really SPEEDY ghostwriter. For sure. It'll be very interesting to see how long the interest in Phelps lasts. (My guess is that Bolt will have more staying power as a subject of interest than Phelps!)

sidney
August 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I dunno about product endorsements

I recall reading when he secured the seventh gold medal that it earned him an instant one million dollar bonus from Speedo.

Judy G. Russell
August 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I recall reading when he secured the seventh gold medal that it earned him an instant one million dollar bonus from Speedo.Yeah, he'll be a lasting figure for sure for things like Speedo. But I suspect more folks may love the Bolt story than the Phelps story (except in the US, of course).

sidney
August 24th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I suspect more folks may love the Bolt story than the Phelps story

No kidding! Here's the Jamaican perspective on that :)

Bolt more popular than Phelps, Superman and Paris Hilton (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/Business/html/20080823T220000-0500_139420_OBS_BOLT_MORE_POPULAR_THAN_PHELPS__SUP ERMAN_AND_PARIS_HILTON_.asp)

Although, supporting McCaine's celebrity attack ad ("Obama is not fit for president because he is too popular") the article said that at least until Friday's gold medal Obama was more popular than Bolt by the same measure :)

Judy G. Russell
August 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM
the article said that at least until Friday's gold medal Obama was more popular than Bolt by the same measure :)Too bad Michael Phelps doesn't qualify to run as vice president...

sidney
August 25th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Too bad Michael Phelps doesn't qualify to run as vice president...

No, he would have to swim -- Bolt could run.

Judy G. Russell
August 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM
No, he would have to swim -- Bolt could run.Ouch. You're right, but ouch...