PDA

View Full Version : 50% off for Hillary?

Judy G. Russell
May 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I was out at the National Genealogical Society conference in Kansas City last week and ended up spending time at Washington Dulles Airport (connecting flights). At the little shops in the airport, they had t-shirts and other paraphernalia for Obama, McCain and Clinton.

And all the Hillary stuff was 50% off...

ndebord
May 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I was out at the National Genealogical Society conference in Kansas City last week and ended up spending time at Washington Dulles Airport (connecting flights). At the little shops in the airport, they had t-shirts and other paraphernalia for Obama, McCain and Clinton.

And all the Hillary stuff was 50% off...

Judy,

Well that ties it. Guess her lineage wasn't quite up to snuff!

;-)

Mike
May 20th, 2008, 02:18 AM
LOL!

On Leno's Headlines on Monday evening, the he showed an article about her brother starting his campaign for some office, somewhere.

The picture, labelled "Rodham," was of a black man.

Judy G. Russell
May 20th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Guess her lineage wasn't quite up to snuff!;-)Or down to it!

Judy G. Russell
May 20th, 2008, 10:34 AM
The picture, labelled "Rodham," was of a black man.ROFL!!

ndebord
May 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Or down to it!

Judy,

Well, think Chicago and Arkansas. Not exactly shrinking violets in those joints.

Judy G. Russell
May 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Well, think Chicago and Arkansas. Not exactly shrinking violets in those joints.True, but she's from Pennsylvania, doncha know... or at least she said so often enough!

ndebord
May 22nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
True, but she's from Pennsylvania, doncha know... or at least she said so often enough!

Judy,

Wherever she has a cousin, is where she is from, so long as there is a primary battle left to fight. Looks like she is in this til' June at least.

Judy G. Russell
May 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Wherever she has a cousin, is where she is from, so long as there is a primary battle left to fight. Looks like she is in this til' June at least.As I recall, the last primary is June 3. I would expect we will have a candidate by not later than June 10. I will be appalled if that's not true.

ndebord
May 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
As I recall, the last primary is June 3. I would expect we will have a candidate by not later than June 10. I will be appalled if that's not true.

Judy,

Not as appalled as would be in January at a McCain inaguration.

<sigh>

Let's hope Hillary knows what she's doing.

Judy G. Russell
May 24th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Not as appalled as would be in January at a McCain inaguration.Now that is a True Fact.

ndebord
May 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Now that is a True Fact.

Judy,

And from now, until the convention: 100% off on Hillary accessories. RFK assasination references... what an ass.

ktinkel
May 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM

And all the Hillary stuff was 50% off...Do we believe the market?

Judy G. Russell
May 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
And from now, until the convention: 100% off on Hillary accessories. RFK assasination references... what an ass.It was surely not her finest moment...

Judy G. Russell
May 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Do we believe the market?Of course we do! After all, we've been told for eight years now that the market is the way to go, right?

ndebord
May 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Of course we do! After all, we've been told for eight years now that the market is the way to go, right?

Judy,

But that's not the domestic market they've been talking about. I do believe it is the international (arms) market they're mad about.

;-)

Judy G. Russell
May 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
But that's not the domestic market they've been talking about. I do believe it is the international (arms) market they're mad about.;-)And don't forget the spot market ... for oil...

ktinkel
May 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Of course we do! After all, we've been told for eight years now that the market is the way to go, right?Yeah, like the housing/mortgage market, right?

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, like the housing/mortgage market, right?Hey, hey... you got some problem with losing 14-15% of your value in the last year alone, with no end in sight for the downward spiral? How... how... how unRepublican of you.

ndebord
May 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Hey, hey... you got some problem with losing 14-15% of your value in the last year alone, with no end in sight for the downward spiral? How... how... how unRepublican of you.

Judy,

Good guess, a tad low. Try 25%. I know, I sold my house in December.

:-(

ktinkel
May 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hey, hey... you got some problem with losing 14-15% of your value in the last year alone, with no end in sight for the downward spiral? How... how... how unRepublican of you.You betcha!

Much as I want to move, my heart sinks to think of what a shellacking we are likely to take. And we want to move to a more expensive town, so am trying to reconcile myself to a high-priced hovel.

But oh, well. Maybe I should become a Republican. They too are on the skids! <g>

ktinkel
May 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Good guess, a tad low. Try 25%. I know, I sold my house in December.Ouch. Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Good guess, a tad low. Try 25%. I know, I sold my house in December.:-(Yikes! That's appalling.

Judy G. Russell
May 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
we want to move to a more expensive town, so am trying to reconcile myself to a high-priced hovel.Geez, and after that gorgeous place you have on the river, that's gonna take some reconciling too. At least I have the comfort of knowing that, by the time I can afford to retire, assuming that will ever occur with the economy as it is, I'll at least be retiring to a somewhat less expensive area.

ktinkel
May 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Geez, and after that gorgeous place you have on the river, that's gonna take some reconciling too.I know. But my back makes it very hard to live in an up-and-down house — and yard! And we miss the amenities of Westport (great library, lots of take-out food, that sort of stuff). We’ll see; we are of many minds so far. I do love the river.

At least I have the comfort of knowing that, by the time I can afford to retire, assuming that will ever occur with the economy as it is, I'll at least be retiring to a somewhat less expensive area.The northeast is expensive, no doubt about that. But have you noticed? We have had the best weather in the country — maybe on the planet — lately? I was thinking the other day that people will probably come flocking here to avoid earthquakes, floods, forest fires, tornadoes, hurricanes/cyclones, volcanoes, and worse.

:eek:

Judy G. Russell
May 28th, 2008, 05:05 PM
The northeast is expensive, no doubt about that. But have you noticed? We have had the best weather in the country — maybe on the planet — lately? I was thinking the other day that people will probably come flocking here to avoid earthquakes, floods, forest fires, tornadoes, hurricanes/cyclones, volcanoes, and worse.Compared to a whole lot of other places, it sure has been awfully good. I couldn't live in Tornado Alley or an active earthquake zone, that's for sure.

earler
May 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Trees don't grow to the sky either. It has been a bull market for houses for some 60 years, and the past few years was most especially a bubble. Though it may hurt to sell a house at 25% less, if you bought it 10 years ago you probably have a good profit, and a large profit if 20 years ago.

ktinkel
May 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Trees don't grow to the sky either. It has been a bull market for houses for some 60 years, and the past few years was most especially a bubble. Though it may hurt to sell a house at 25% less, if you bought it 10 years ago you probably have a good profit, and a large profit if 20 years ago.How about 6 years ago?

ktinkel
May 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Compared to a whole lot of other places, it sure has been awfully good. I couldn't live in Tornado Alley or an active earthquake zone, that's for sure.Well, we can console ourselves for having to endure the occasional blizzard. On the other hand we cannot grow really good tomatoes no matter what.

But it is not just Connecticut that is the “land of steady habits” but most of the northeast.

Judy G. Russell
May 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
On the other hand we cannot grow really good tomatoes no matter what.Speak for yourself! (Jersey tomatoes are wonderful... then again, we're regarded as Mid-Atlantic rather than Northeast, anyway.)

ktinkel
May 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Speak for yourself! (Jersey tomatoes are wonderful... then again, we're regarded as Mid-Atlantic rather than Northeast, anyway.)Maybe so. New Jersey is long enough to have a few micro-climates, I would guess.

Whatever we are, it isn’t good tomato-land. Alas.

Judy G. Russell
May 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Maybe so. New Jersey is long enough to have a few micro-climates, I would guess.Only about 180 miles total, north to south. But if the Mason-Dixon line ran into NJ (it doesn't), the State would be divided...

Whatever we are, it isn’t good tomato-land. Alas.I'll bet there are some heritage varietals that'll grow there...

ktinkel
May 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Only about 180 miles total, north to south. But if the Mason-Dixon line ran into NJ (it doesn't), the State would be divided...

I'll bet there are some heritage varietals that'll grow there...I know people who do grow them, but they have open spaces with lots of sun. And even then, the tomatoes do not taste like they used to. Or maybe I am having palatal fantasies. :(

ndebord
May 30th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Only about 180 miles total, north to south. But if the Mason-Dixon line ran into NJ (it doesn't), the State would be divided...

I'll bet there are some heritage varietals that'll grow there...

Judy,

Right at the Raritan. South of that, volunteers for Lee's Army. Above that, Lincoln.

<sigh>

MollyM/CA
June 1st, 2008, 01:13 AM
Kathleen,

My climate is bad for tomato taste, and because of the great difference between night and day temps some varieties won't fruit. But I found varieties that set fruit almost no matter what the weather and which taste good -- not quite the sugar-sweet you can get in the Midwest, but almost. I mostly grow them in big (20" at least though plastic pots are so terrible now I'm going to try the 8 gallon grower pots, those black ones) pots and, here, they appreciate a little shade. Our skies tend to be cloudless from about May on, or at least overcast is rare. But two of the cherry tomatoes we like best are in almost total shade. They are

Sungold (F1), a cherry-sized cherry tomato that ripens deep orange and so fruity and sweet people have asked me if they were tomatoes when I've brought a bowlful to a potluck. Everyone I give a plant to demands one every year thereafter. Thompson and Morgan introduced it and Pinetree carries it (Pinetree specializes in small inexpensive packets, and they're very good seeds.)

Sweet Chelsea (F1): a ping-pong ball sized red tomato, big enough to slice for a sandwich (with patience), especially if the plant is pruned a bit. Also very sweet and tomatoey; quite firm. This plant keeps bearing and ripening good-tasting fruit way into the cold weather and almost seems to survive a few degrees of frost.

These hybrids are quite disease-resistant.

Slicers are more idiosyncratic and probably like more sun, though some of mine are shaded in early morning and later afternoon. I grow only OP "heirlooms" and they're all from Seed Savers' Exchange. My best ones, and the most "Midwestern," soft and sweet and very juicy -- and large-- are

Hillbilly Potato Leaf: Big, yellow streaked with red and orange, early for me. Wonderful flavor.

Brandywine is famous -- the only one I've ever gotten to fruit here is the strain of the Sudduth Strain that SSE sells. It's a pink tomato, but redder than most 'pinks.' Large, juicy, sweet, fruity. It's a potato-leaf type -- they seem to have the most intense flavor.

Dr. Wyche's Yellow is a beautiful soft but deep yellow color and very smooth and uniform in color. It is a little milder than the two above, and maybe a little firmer, but sweet and good. It can be huge, and it bears very early and very late for me -- I was finding ripe, good-tasting tomatoes in late November last year, where branches had escaped the cages and cascaded down so the tomatoes were hidden.

These have fruit all summer here -- many varieties don't set fruit in the hottest weather so there's a gap. They're not hybrids but have done OK in the ground here and I have every soil disease there is plus nematodes. We don't get the leaf funguses that thrive in warm moist air so much but these are so widely grown I'd guess they aren't too prone to them either.

I mix Supersoil, the best of the potting soils I've tried and that ain't saying much, with water crystals and lately, lots of perlite which is cheap in big bags and helps soil oxygen and drainage. Some soils turn to pudding about halfway through the summer. I give them a watering with Miracle Grow about once a month after the plants get big, or compost tea, and that's about it. Our water is hideously hard and evidently supplies enough calcium so we never seem to have catface (a nutritional disease which causes the blossom end to harden and blacken).

Celebrity is the best-tasting of the hybrids that I've tried, and I notice that it's become very widely sold here in the nurseries. It's a fairly big round tomato, very disease resistant. I always grew a plant or two of it when I was going through variety after variety among the heirlooms looking for ones that would fruit and taste good. I find many that are touted as "taste test winners" bland and mealy, as grown here anyway.

Another tomato that does well in cool weather and I think is very good flavored is Tasty Evergreen. It doesn't suit people who eat with their eyes though! It ripens yellow-green (the skin is yellow when the tomato is ripe) and the slices are a lovely light green. SSE carries it.

I'm convinced that almost anyone on earth can have tomatoes that taste better than anything that can be bought, here at least. Some of the fruit stands have sort of OK tomatoes but I was sure glad when I finally got mine going last year. It just takes persistence trying new varieties. Tomatoes are about the easiest things I know of to start from seed -- once I learned to give the seedlings warm feet and cool air and enough light so that the baby stems show some color very soon -- which means they're strong enough so they won't get damp off fungus, the disease which attacks the stems above the soil so the seedlings bend over and die. As soon as they can get into half gallon milk cartons (sliced diagonally on the edges from about an inch and a half or two above the bottom to the bottom for drainage -- takes only a second to convert an empty milk carton to a flowerpot) they don't take much watering or care.

ktinkel
June 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the information — I have been too discouraged even to look for special seeds or plants. Connecticut is marginal for tomatoes; when we have success with anything but those market types (that have little flavor even when home-grown), it is in late July or August.

But we did grow wonderful tomatoes when we were further north (up near Hartford), and a friend in Westport, with a large open yard, grows wonderful heirlooms, including Brandywines, so the problem here is local. We are right on a river, which is a wind tunnel. The light is great there, for anything that will grow in a pot, but the wind dries out the plants, and that seems to be one of the problems. That and keeping them watered properly. Some grape tomatoes did all right a couple of years ago, but they were not much more flavorful than the ones at the supermarket, and the skins got very hard, I suspect from the wind.

We have 150-foot-tall trees (maples and oaks) all over this tiny property, so the light is rotten. (Not knocking the trees, mind you — they are beautiful and the shade is welcome. But they do interfere with gardening.

So I don’t think I’ll bother this year. We have three farm stands and a farmers’ market nearby, and they are okay. (Most of the farmers around here grow Early Girl or the modern equivalent; never tasty, but usually pretty.)

But thanks for the detailed suggestions: Sweet Chelsea sounds like a good bet, and so does Sungold. Maybe I’ll muster my courage and give it a try. Sure do love a tasty tomato. (I have been cataloging my books in LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com), so need a reason to get out of here.)