PDA

View Full Version : multiquote reply button turns red

davidh
May 8th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I don't remember this happening before to me. Maybe I never used the button before? I forget. After I click it, it only does a regular quote and the button turns red or reddish orange, I think.

Happens both in MS IE 7 and FF 2.x.

I just recently installed XP SP3 and AVG 8.0 Free. Don't know if that would make a difference.

David H.

sidney
May 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I don't remember this happening before to me. Maybe I never used the button before? I forget. After I click it, it only does a regular quote and the button turns red or reddish orange, I think.

Experimenting with it, here is what I see: Click on the multiquote button, it turns red and a little "+" on it turns into a "-". Click on it again it turns back. Click on the multiquote buttons of two or more posts to turn them red, then click on either the Quote button of one of the posts or the Post Reply button on the bottom. What you get is a reply window with the text of each post for which you selected multiquote, each in its own separate quote block.

Are you seeing anything different?

By the way, when I posted this reply, I hd experimented with the multiquote buttons in another thread that had multiple posts. In very small letters at the bottom of the reply window for this post I saw a notice that I had selected multiquotes in another thread and links giving me the option to include the quotes here or to deselect them. That's a feature that I did not know about, that you can select a message for quoting in one thread, then go to another thread and have the quote available for pasting in your reply over there.

-- sidney

davidh
May 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I think I misunderstood the purpose of multiquote.

By clicking it, I was hoping that I would be able to quote the fully nested quotes in the message I'm replying to instead of merely the outermost text.

sidney
May 8th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I was hoping that I would be able to quote the fully nested quotes in the message I'm replying to instead of merely the outermost text.

VBulletin strips embedded quotes from a message before quoting it. I could change it in the code easily enough, but then I would have to remember what I did and apply the customization again every time we installed a version upgrade, and I would rather not deal with that. The VBulletin authors apparently think that stripping out the embedded quotes is the right thing to do, so they aren't going to change it. In fact, VBulletin version 2 did work for up to 2 or 3 levels of nested quotes and they changed it to the current behavior.

davidh
May 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
VBulletin strips embedded quotes from a message before quoting it. I could change it in the code easily enough, but then I would have to remember what I did and apply the customization again every time we installed a version upgrade, and I would rather not deal with that. The VBulletin authors apparently think that stripping out the embedded quotes is the right thing to do, so they aren't going to change it. In fact, VBulletin version 2 did work for up to 2 or 3 levels of nested quotes and they changed it to the current behavior.
Not a problem. Thanks for the feedback. At least now I know what the word "multiquote" means. Thanks.

D.H.