PDA

View Full Version : MPG to DVD

Dan in Saint Louis
May 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
What's everyone's favorite solution for converting recorded MPGs (such as the recorded output from BeyondTV) into a DVD? I'm ready to give up on Nero. It can't seem to edit MPGs without crashing (or should I say it edits, but crashes when attempting to save the result?)

I'm trying a trial version of VideoReDo now, and it looks promising. What do YOU all like?

davidh
May 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I was trying to go in the opposite direction, from DVD to MPG. I tried various free or free open source programs.

I only got partial success. I managed to make an MPG from part of a movie and then just for the heck of it burn it onto a CD (VCD) that I viewed in my DVD player. The speech ended up out of sync with the lip movements by quite a bit.

I tried to read about the various audio and video formats and codecs and found it pretty confusing. It seems that quite a bit of research might be necessary to evaluate which software is best for your purpose. You might even have to register and post in a specialized multimedia forum to get the answers you need. One place that did help me get to first base was WikiHow, but in my opinion I never got beyond first base.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
What's everyone's favorite solution for converting recorded MPGs (such as the recorded output from BeyondTV) into a DVD? I'm ready to give up on Nero. It can't seem to edit MPGs without crashing (or should I say it edits, but crashes when attempting to save the result?)
I'm trying a trial version of VideoReDo now, and it looks promising. What do YOU all like?My brother used Smart DVD Creator (http://www.avitodvdconverterpro.com/) and was happy with it. Also a free trial available.

Dan in Saint Louis
May 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I was trying to go in the opposite direction, from DVD to MPG. I tried various free or free open source programs.

I only got partial success.
Did you try SUPER (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html)?

davidh
May 8th, 2008, 01:00 AM
The attempt I was working on is no longer "front burner". But no, I did not try that one. What I did was try things from WikiHow that were vaguely similar to what I was trying to do.

I'm not exactly sure what my goal is/was. I think I was trying to rip songs from DVD's that had multiple "languages" Namely Vietnamese Karaoke songs with audio lyrics plus accompaniment on "Vietnamese 1" language and accompaniment only on "Vietnamese 2" language. Which was different from other Karoke that split the two between left and right audio channels in the same "language".

So I needed a player that could let me choose between languages in a video file as opposed to choosing between languages in a video DVD.

That program you mentioned does seem to do a lot.

David H.

davidh
July 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I tried DL a couple times but only got part of the file. Maybe I'll try later again.

For now I can make do with Audacity since I'm only converting WAV to MP3 for the moment.

Any way web site sure makes it sound like it can do a lot.

David H

davidh
September 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
I tried to use SUPER to extract an MP3 of a song from an ISO file of a DVD. No luck.

However, I was able to extract one "title" with a single "chapter" from an ISO file image of a DVD disk into an MPEG-4 (something like that, whatever). That is, the resulting file was a video MP4 file of a single song from the DVD that I could play with video AND audio by itself separate from all the other songs on the DVD (karaoke).

After THAT, I was able to use SUPER to extract the MP3 audio-only music plus vocal from the MP4 so that I could put the MP3 audio onto a cheap $20 to $28 MP3 Player.

Unfortunately, SUPER did not seem to be able to extract the MP3 of a single song from an ISO file image of a DVD. But perhaps I'm not bullheaded or smart enough to figure it out with SUPER. But sure enough SUPER seems like a very powerful/flexible program (and for free).

So, for example, if like me, one wants to get audio from a DVD, for which one has paid, into a humble cheapo MP3 player it may need multiple steps as follows, depending on various contingencies:

1. decrypt (forgot name of app. I had tried earlier)
2. a. convert/extract decrypt to some video file format (e.g. with handbrake)
2. b. extract desired titles/chapters (songs, soap operas, etc.)
3. convert video plus audio extract to pure audio only, e.g. MP3 / WMA , etc. (e.g. with SUPER)
4. load MP3 player with audio MP3 file(s)

Seems like the WIZARD of VLC could do some of this job(s) under appropriate circumstances, but I was not successful in so doing.

DH

P.S. I seem to find Wikipedia more useful than Google for fiinding explanations of terminology and apps to do this multimedia stuff. So , Hooray for Wikipedia , even if it is unscholarly and an bastardly or whatever snooties would want to call it.

davidh
September 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM

I'm trying a trial version of VideoReDo now, and it looks promising. What do YOU all like?

7 Tools for Ripping Your DVDs

Why shouldn't you watch the movies you paid for on the device of your choice? With these DVD rippers and converters, you can.

by Kyle Monson
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330176,00.asp
Not exactly 100% OT (oops, ON TOPIC! lol), but y'all may find this worth reading anyway.
DH

Mike
September 23rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Yesterday, we went to Big Lots to get Halloween supplies, and I saw a copy of Honestech's (http://www.honestech.com) VHS to DVD Plus in the locked counter for $40. I can't find the product on the web site, except as a bundle with an IP TV product. However, this product claims that it can convert from VHS to DVD, and from cassettes/LPs to MP3s and audio CDs.

Under the list of system requirements, it says:

Input File Formats:

AVI, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2
JPG, GIF, BMP, PNGI won't have time to deal with it for a couple of weeks due to some family issues, but first chance I get to try it, I'll let you know what I learn.

davidh
May 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM
This is a years late reply.

I don't use SUPER a lot. But when I do use it then it is very nice to have.

A possible word of warning, tho'.

I did see a warning by somebody in a blog comment somewhere that the Zugo toolbar (adware) was included in SUPER at least at one point in time.

I did have Zugo show up on my PC and did clean it, so maybe I did not opt out properly when installing or reinstalling SUPER? I'll try to be more careful next time I install it.

Oh and by the way, a comment on extracting titles or chapters from ISO images of DVD's, e.g. karaoke DVD's, etc. as discussed a little in another nearby msg in this thread:

I like Handbrake program for doing this, pretty easy to do as long as I try to stick with garden variety plain vanilla settings :cool:

davidh
May 7th, 2011, 12:03 AM
... I did see a warning by somebody in a blog comment somewhere that the Zugo toolbar (adware) was included in SUPER at least at one point in time.

I did have Zugo show up on my PC and did clean it, so maybe I did not opt out properly when installing or reinstalling SUPER? I'll try to be more careful next time I install it. ... FWIW, the Zugo toolbar comes with drivers downloaded from DriverGuide. HOWEVER, it IS possible to opt out of installing the toolbar and just have the Driver Guide INSTALLER download ONLY the original driver per se. I just did download an obsolete web cam driver with the DriverGuide installer and the secondarily downloaded driver does appear to be clean 100%. So the only remaining question seems to be if it's the right driver or not.

If one DOES run the DriverGuide INSTALLER itself against various malware scanners one may well get some hits on it as ADWARE or such.

davidh
December 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
FWIW, the Zugo toolbar comes with drivers downloaded from DriverGuide. HOWEVER, it IS possible to opt out of installing the toolbar and just have the Driver Guide INSTALLER download ONLY the original driver per se. I just did download an obsolete web cam driver with the DriverGuide installer and the secondarily downloaded driver does appear to be clean 100%. So the only remaining question seems to be if it's the right driver or not.

If one DOES run the DriverGuide INSTALLER itself against various malware scanners one may well get some hits on it as ADWARE or such.
I've started using Format Factory in addition to SUPER, to convert Karaoke songs (in VOB format) from DVD's to MPG format. Format Factory free version also seems to install adware/bloatware during download and install unless one chooses options carefully, i.e. fully reading the various prompts.