PDA

View Full Version : 5 minutes til evil incoming packets

davidh
April 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
All those log lines allow the ISC to correlate and analyze data to see if an Internet security storm is under way. It also provides some insight into just how much bad traffic is on the Internet today and how fast it can hit users.

One of the most interesting data points for Sachs is one that tracks how quickly a new computer logging on to the Internet for the first time will see some form of bad traffic.

"It now only takes four of five minutes from the time you first connect until you get evil," Sachs said. "That's scary -- a year or two ago it used to be in the 20-minute era."
http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3743866

DH

Judy G. Russell
May 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
That doesn't surprise me. Some years ago I stayed at a B&B that advertised it had wireless. What it had was a totally insecure wireless. Took about 30 seconds before I was hit (fortunately intercepted by my AV program).

davidh
May 1st, 2008, 11:22 AM
That doesn't surprise me. Some years ago I stayed at a B&B that advertised it had wireless. What it had was a totally insecure wireless. Took about 30 seconds before I was hit (fortunately intercepted by my AV program).
Probably in that case, the router or whatever had been turned on constantly for long periods of time, so not surprising that you were hit so fast. As opposed to the case where a machine or network is newly brought on line, as in the article.

DH

Judy G. Russell
May 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Probably in that case, the router or whatever had been turned on constantly for long periods of time, so not surprising that you were hit so fast. As opposed to the case where a machine or network is newly brought on line, as in the article.Probably true. But it sure reinforced my determination to have a good set of up-to-date protections on my machines.