PDA

View Full Version : CompuServe and Eudora

Andrew B.
April 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I have a CompuServe classic account. I don't use the CompuServe software. I've been using Eudora with my CompuServe email account. But only the incoming CompuServe pop server. For outgoing I use my ISPs smtp sever. The outgoing just stopped working for me. Does CompuServe have an smtp server I can use over the Internet?

sidney
April 27th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Does CompuServe have an smtp server I can use over the Internet?

All the advice I've seen on the CompuServe mail support forum says that CompuServe does not give you access to their Classic smtp server for outgoing mail unless you are connected through the CompuServe network (i.e., dialed in). You are supposed to use your ISP's smtp host. That means figuring out why that stopped working.

-- sidney

davidh
April 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I have a CompuServe classic account. I don't use the CompuServe software. I've been using Eudora with my CompuServe email account. But only the incoming CompuServe pop server. For outgoing I use my ISPs smtp sever. The outgoing just stopped working for me. Does CompuServe have an smtp server I can use over the Internet?

If you had a free google account, you might be able to use google's smtp server, WITHOUT receiving your mail at google. (Unless the google smtp server checks for your return address to be that of your google account, I don't know)

DH

davidh
April 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM
If you had a free google account, you might be able to use google's smtp server, WITHOUT receiving your mail at google. (Unless the google smtp server checks for your return address to be that of your google account, I don't know)

DH BTW my ISP is verizon but I forward all mail from my verizon account automatically to my google account (my main one).

sidney
April 28th, 2008, 02:30 AM
(Unless the google smtp server checks for your return address to be that of your google account, I don't know)

That's a great idea to get around problems with the ISP's smtp service! Google Mail accounts are free and once you create one you can use it to send mail from any email program such as Eudora.

You do have to enter your email address in the Google Mail settings. On the Gmail page click on Settings, then click on the Account tab, then under Send Mail As click on Add Another Email Address, and then follow along with the prompts. It will have you prove that you really own the address by sending an email to it for confirmation. After that you can use the Google Mail smtp server to send mail, using your gmail.com address and password as authentication.

-- sidney

davidh
April 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
That's a great idea to get around problems with the ISP's smtp service! Google Mail accounts are free and once you create one you can use it to send mail from any email program such as Eudora.

You do have to enter your email address in the Google Mail settings. On the Gmail page click on Settings, then click on the Account tab, then under Send Mail As click on Add Another Email Address, and then follow along with the prompts. It will have you prove that you really own the address by sending an email to it for confirmation. After that you can use the Google Mail smtp server to send mail, using your gmail.com address and password as authentication.

-- sidney
Google will also POP mail from any other POP mail server AND forward Gmail to any other mail server. So with Gmail you can often get ALL your mail in single place even tho' you have many accounts or various services. Of course some people would rather keep accounts rather more strictly separated, for whatever reasons.

DH

Andrew B.
April 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hmmm. So I guess it doesn't have to be the ISP. It can be any email account that works.

earler
April 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
You can use gmail to send or receive mail, both or either.

davidh
April 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
FWIW, Gmail can be accessed as 1. POP3 2. IMAP 3. web mail or any combination of the three. But if you use both POP3 *and* IMAP you will probably have a mess ;)

And as mentioned, Gmail also provides SMTP service.

Furthermore, if you have your own private domain, you can set up a web site and email service for free on Google and receive POP3 email (or web mail. or IMAP mail too?) by an address on your own private domain, with the advantage of having google's anti-spam and immense 6GB+ storage. All for the cost of a domain registration, usually $10 or less per year, via any domain registrar. Up to 25 free email addresses on a domain.

Plus Google apps lets you and others (e.g. co-workers on your domain, or just google-"buddies") collaborate interactively online with Google text chat on wordprocessing documents or spreadsheets...

I have not kept up with Google apps so I don't know the latest features (either free or pay for).

DH