PDA

View Full Version : CompuServe pop server down?

Andrew B.
April 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Anyone here use pop.compuserve.com for email? If so, are you having a problem logging in?

ktinkel
April 20th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Anyone here use pop.compuserve.com for email? If so, are you having a problem logging in?I have had squirrelly CIS mail for months. About twice a year, Eudora suddenly collects a bunch of mail. The rest of the time, I have to log in with CIM from an old computer, and always find the mailbox absolutely full. Of all of that, only about 30 have been mail I really cared about.

This afternoon, though, even CIM cannot raise my CompuServe POP mail. So I guess something is wrong.

dgermann
April 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Andrew--

Yup, I'm having trouble today, too. Use pop.compuserve.com and keep getting timed out type messaged from my mail client, evolution.

I do seem to connect once every 6 or 7 tries and get some mail that way.

Just (7:00 pm New York time) tried mail2web and got:
Error : Login Failure. Please check your email address and re-enter your password.

So I guess there is some problem. Know of any way to report it?

Andrew B.
April 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I just tested again and it's still down.

heinz57g
April 20th, 2008, 10:32 PM
yes, same here. whichever way tried, any method, nothing. for almost a full
day by now.

as far as i know, has never happened to this lenght before. seems to be the
entire CLASSIC system, not just the POP3 access.

greetings - heinz -

heinz57g
April 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM
the CIS classic forum is full with mssgs about this, so we were not alone.

' ... WERE': as of about 3pm CEST it works again. but with close to 24hrs, that was one of the
longest outages that CIS had - it might mean they really have nobody there sat/sun to check
and fix even the most important things.

times are a-changing.

greetings - heinz -

Peter Creasey
April 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Judging by my experiences this morning and what's being said on the CIS Classic email board, the U.S. CIS email server(s) still are failing.

Andrew B.
April 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
I just managed to connect to the pop server. But it was very slow. Eudora took a long time to connect. Then it took a long time to retrieve a couple emails. I don't know if I got them all.

dgermann
April 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
This morning I am getting email in snatches and bits, but what is most interesting is that I will get an email that was posted a few minutes ago along with one that was posted 15 hours ago, all in the same run.

This has happening all morning.

And there is one I know was sent about 2 1/2 hours ago which has yet to arrive.

:- Doug.

Dodi Schultz
April 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
The entire CompuServe Classic mail service went down yesterday (Sunday), guys, and is still down; can't get to your mailbox with your usual e-mail software OR via Mail2Web.

The voices in Calcutta (Bombay?) haven't a clue. Maybe it'll be up and running in 24 hours. Or maybe 48. Who knows, eh. "Let me speak to your supervisor" gets one nowhere: "This is tech. We don't have supervisors."

Lovely.

--Dodi

Peter Creasey
April 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
I will get an email that was posted a few minutes ago along with one that was posted 15 hours ago, all in the same run.

Doug, This is probably a good news situation. I have also just a while ago received some email time tagged yesterday around 12 Noon (during the outage period). This seems to suggest that CIS may not have lost any of the emails even though their service was having problems.

Dodi Schultz
April 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Word at 5 p.m. today is that there are 71 messages in my mailbox. Wonder when I'll see them.............

Yesterday, response I got at Mail2Web was what was quoted earlier about reentering ID and password. Today, it's "run time error."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

--Dodi

Peter Creasey
April 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
response I got at Mail2Web was what was quoted earlier about reentering ID and password.

Dodi, Yes, that was a symptom when trying to use mail2web.com. The system appears to be back to (or near) normal now.