PDA

View Full Version : Tap vs Norton 2005

BettyB
July 9th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Maybe someone else has already discussed this but just as an fwiw kind of thing...

I recently installed Norton's SystemWorks Premier 2005 and the Personal Firewall (2005 version) and couldn't get Tap to go online (I still use it for my CIS mail, diehard that I am). Tried a buncha stuff in the firewall settings but nothing seemed to make any difference, including UNchecking auto network detection. (I use an external modem for Tap and dsl for everything else) Then, just by chance I used N(ew) rather than Ctrl+M in Tap and bingo! everything worked as before. Well, Ctrl+M doesn't but that's okay as long as I can still get my mail via Tap. One of these days will have to bite the bullet and move my mail to one of my other services. Gads but I hate change.

So, one thing down and at least one more to go....in Mozilla I can no longer use Ctrl+V to paste copied material into a message on CIS. (I've never been able to use traditional cut/paste over there) Apparently the firewall is blocking _some_ macros/commands. (sigh) Will post this part over in the Mozilla forum in hopes someone else has already solved it.

BB

Lindsey
July 10th, 2005, 12:03 AM
FWIW, I found I had problems with quite a number of hot keys in TAPCIS after I upgraded to XP. One of them, I discovered, was a conflict with the DVD-player software that came pre-installed on the unit; I imagine it may be the same with the other keys, but I haven't taken the time to investigate. That was about the time I gave up trying to use TAPCIS for anything but occasionally looking at archived messages.

--Lindsey

BettyB
July 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Yes, I expect I'll have to give up using it for mail - one of these days. Right now it's just so comfortable and I keep dragging my feet about letting folks know my new email address. Progress can be painful sometimes. ;-)

BB

Lindsey
July 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Progress can be painful sometimes. ;-)
Too true!

--Lindsey

BettyB
July 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Okay, confession time. Earlier I was complaining about the loss of some hot keys in Tap after installation of Norton 2005. Not Norton's fault at all... I discovered the right hand Ctrl key on my keyboard was stuck in not quite a full down mode. Very hard to see as it was only slightly below the level of other keys. Upshot is, the hot keys now work plus I can also use the Copy, Ctrl+V on messages over on CIS.

Lesson learned: always check the easy stuff first. ;-)

BB

Judy G. Russell
July 20th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Lesson learned: always check the easy stuff first. ;-)
Hey as long as it's fixed, that's all that matters!