PDA

View Full Version : Drinking glasses in hotels

Andrew B.
January 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Story about the cleaning of drinking glasses in hotels.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1329217643?bctid=1329232712

sidney
January 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Story about the cleaning of drinking glasses in hotels.

Verified true at Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/hotelglasses.asp)

I had problems with the video at the site you linked to, in fact couldn't see it at all. Snopes has a small snippet, but YouTube has the full video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3OWE2Lx0dk). I don't know if this is the same video that you linked to.

Andrew B.
January 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
It has been a long time since I've been to a hotel, but my recollection is of drinking glasses wrapped in paper or with a cardboard lid that indicated they had been washed in the washer. Others had plastic cups in wrappers. I guess things have changed.

Judy G. Russell
January 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
It has been a long time since I've been to a hotel, but my recollection is of drinking glasses wrapped in paper or with a cardboard lid that indicated they had been washed in the washer. Others had plastic cups in wrappers. I guess things have changed.Plastic cups are still pretty routinely in the wrappers, and there are usually cardboard lids on the glasses, but the lids shouldn't be taken to mean a thing.

Lindsey
January 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Plastic cups are still pretty routinely in the wrappers, and there are usually cardboard lids on the glasses, but the lids shouldn't be taken to mean a thing.
Yeah, the hotels I have stayed in most recently have used the plastic cups in wrappers, and while I'm not particularly enamored of them (I had thought they were simply a cost-saving measure over glasses that had to be washed), I think, in retrospect, that I prefer them to containers that you can't be sure are clean.

--Lindsey

Jeff
January 29th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, the hotels I have stayed in most recently have used the plastic cups in wrappers, and while I'm not particularly enamored of them (I had thought they were simply a cost-saving measure over glasses that had to be washed), I think, in retrospect, that I prefer them to containers that you can't be sure are clean.

--Lindsey

I can't remember when I last saw a glass glass in a hotel, and so I long ago learned that one plastic glass will uncomfortably compress between the fingers while two together will not. Cold and warmth also apply.

- Jeff

Lindsey
January 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I can't remember when I last saw a glass glass in a hotel, and so I long ago learned that one plastic glass will uncomfortably compress between the fingers while two together will not. Cold and warmth also apply.
Two together is a good idea -- the softer plastic glasses do indeed tend to be squishy, sometimes with messy results.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
January 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think, in retrospect, that I prefer them to containers that you can't be sure are clean.Now that's a safe bet! Literally!