PDA

View Full Version : MS-DOS apps and groups

davidh
July 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I wrote a message to Brian C. Murphy to see if he had found any MS-DOS groups to take the place of Compuserve now that DOSCIM (and TAPCIS, etc.) no longer work with CIS forums.

He said he is quite busy now on his farm, but that he will probably look into it in the fall. He kept a list of 15 former members of the DOS section of the vintage forum from back in 2004, to mail out to when he gets time.

I don't think he is a member of tapcis.com. LYNX will work with DOS to let one read and post messages here, but it's VERY hard to use. I suspect the Arachne browser for DOS would work on tapcis.com but haven't used it for years.

I only mentioned this subject because the battery backup on my old PC finally seems to have died and the CMOS lost the HD parameters so it wouldn't boot until I typed them in again from a print out I'd made back in '97 or so.

I'm thinking of putting my Nettamer MS-DOS internet "suite" on a floppy disk so I'll be able to get to email fast the next time my PC chokes.

I still don't like these GUI bulletin boards. tapcis.com is a little faster than P-CIS on my old 60Mhz PC.

BTW version 1.5.5 of MUTT email program for DOS has been released. I once installed it under Windows as a console application (i.e. non-GUI only). Definitely not for the faint hearted. But nice for those who like to customize or like UNIX style apps.

I found my TAPCIS registration number while looking for my HD parameters on paper in my "file". I don't have the program anymore but I couldn't bring myself to toss that sheet of paper yet.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
July 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I still don't like these GUI bulletin boards. tapcis.com is a little faster than P-CIS on my old 60Mhz PC.
I don't think any of us like them, certainly not better than what we had, but we're getting used to them.

davidh
July 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think any of us like them, certainly not better than what we had, but we're getting used to them.

Maybe if I drink enough coffee or chocolate, I'll install MUTT mail reader/user agent on DOS and have a real email program with real threading, no wimpy stuff. And see what else is on Yahoo and Google groups list servers.

I just dumped out the contents of my CMOS onto my old inkjet on a parallel port by hitting "print screen" *before* Windows booted. And my old PC is so old and stupid that it won't even boot a CD ROM but anyway it still has 2 serial ports, 1 parallel port, and a floppy drive.

Just don't buy me a 4 pack of Kahlua drink or I'll never do anything.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
July 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Just don't buy me a 4 pack of Kahlua drink or I'll never do anything.
Why do I have the feeling this is a kind of "don't throw me in dat briar patch" kind of statement?

MollyM/CA
July 9th, 2005, 10:11 AM
By the way, is there a way to save a thread?

Judy G. Russell
July 9th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Click on the Thread Tools link at the top and you can create a printable version, and that can be copied and pasted into any program.

MollyM/CA
July 10th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Not bad! I thought print meant, er, print, didn't realize it would be a neat little text file.

Lindsey
July 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Not bad! I thought print meant, er, print, didn't realize it would be a neat little text file.
Sometimes the "Print" icon will call up an applet that will only print, but most of the time it gives you a screen that is at least mostly text which you can either print or save or copy or whatever. I use the "Printable version" option all the time when I'm on a newspaper or magazine web site and want to save a copy of the article.

--Lindsey