PDA

View Full Version : PCIS Glitch?

Dan in Saint Louis
January 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Is anyone else seeing a serious PCIS glitch this morning? Any attempt to read a thread results in the attached.

davidh
January 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Is anyone else seeing a serious PCIS glitch this morning? Any attempt to read a thread results in the attached.

Seems to work ok now at about 1:43p.m. EST Sun Jan 13

I go in via community.netscape.com and logon with a AIM / CSIM screen name.

David H.

Dan in Saint Louis
January 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Seems to work ok now at about 1:43p.m. EST Sun Jan 13
Apparently the problem is AdBlockPlus. Disabling for one site is not enough, it has to be disabled from the FireFox "AddOns" dialog.

I'm guessing some daily update for the AdBlockPlus definitions list included one URL too many.

davidh
January 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I used to use FlashBlock but not anymore since NoScript now allows blocking Flash and all other plugins, even on approved (whitelisted) sites, if so desired. And there's still a placeholder icon so I can play any ads or plugins if I really want to see'em.

I keep my approved list quite small, e.g. yahoo mail, bank, etc.

The latest NoScript also recovers screen real-estate that would have been occupied by ads.

Of course the main motive for NoScript is security, esp. against attacks for which signatures do not yet exist (i.e. "zero day" attack/exploits).

David H

Dan in Saint Louis
January 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I keep my approved list quite small, e.g. yahoo mail, bank, etc.
I had two filter subscriptions running in AdBlockPlus, the standard one and one that is more aggressive. I deleted the more aggressive one (but didn't write down its name!) and the message came back, but the really obnoxious top banner ad came back also.

I manually added a filter definition for "http://ar.atwola.com/*" and the banner went away, so now I am back to normal.

Still not positive that AdBlockPlus was the culprit, as another writer on PCIS says his symptoms cleared up spontaneously late in the afternoon, as if the PCIS hamsters had been at work.

davidh
January 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Still not positive that AdBlockPlus was the culprit, as another writer on PCIS says his symptoms cleared up spontaneously late in the afternoon, as if the PCIS hamsters had been at work.

I guess when the hamsters run hard enough then there's enough juice for everything to run ok.

David Harper

P.S. Or is "hamster" yiddish for "pork eaters"?

Dan in Saint Louis
January 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I guess when the hamsters run hard enough then there's enough juice for everything to run ok.
It now develops that PCIS has been shuffling back and forth between September and December version of the software. Apparently the December version is not quite ready for prime time.

Judy G. Russell
January 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Apparently the December version is not quite ready for prime time.Gee... what a surprise...

Dan in Saint Louis
January 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Gee... what a surprise...
AFAIK this is the earliest they have ever held Summer Programming Camp.

Judy G. Russell
January 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM
AFAIK this is the earliest they have ever held Summer Programming Camp.They have to do something to keep the children off the streets...