PDA

View Full Version : Rejected TAPCIS.COM Emails

Guerri Stevens
July 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I wrote about this last night. This morning I did more research, and there are at least two charset settings that tapcis.com rejects. I have exhausted my known options for figuring this out. I can find no settings at the Webmail site that determine what is accepted. I can find no way to send Email to or phone the people who supply the webmail (Go Daddy).

Can Judy or someone here communicate with these folks and find out what the rules are?

The original problem of rejected mails from one person in the Dixonary game has been solved by the individual having changed his own settings. But this could happen again with someone else and the recipient would get an error message but I (or any other tapcis.com email user) would have no way of knowing that Email was rejected.

CompuServe accepted the test message that was rejected by tapcis.com, so I can't think of any reason that tapcis.com should be more selective.

Judy G. Russell
July 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Write the precise question you want me to ask and I will send it.

Guerri Stevens
July 7th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Write the precise question you want me to ask and I will send it.

You may want to edit this before passing it along. The main thing is that if I go to the Webmail using the link on tapcis.com, I can find no setting that controls what character encodings will be accepted/rejected. This may be arbitrarily set for some reason. What I, and probably others who have tapcis.com Email, would want is for all mail to be delivered.

----------

A number of Email messages have not been delivered to guerri@tapcis.com. Instead, the sender receives this message

================================================== ========
From: MAILER-DAEMON@smtp04-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
Subj: failure notice

<guerri@tapcis.com>:
The user does not accept email in non-Western (non-Latin) character sets.
================================================== ========

In the message headers, if the charset is Windows 1250 or UTF-7, the message is rejected and the sender receives the message above. If the charset is ISO-8859-1 or Windows 1252, the message is delivered.

The number of messages involved is large, and therefore not all messages could be reviewed, so there may be other encoding formats that are rejected and others that are accepted.

Why is this being done?

I would like all mail to be delivered, regardless of character encoding.

Judy G. Russell
July 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I will make a request for an explanation of what character sets are accepted and which ones are not. (The message I will send is: Several of our users are having email rejected with an error message "The user does not accept email in non-Western (non-Latin) character sets." Since we have users around the world who often use European character sets such as Windows 1250 or UTF-7 character sets, this is a problem. Is there an option to change the accepted character sets to include these European character sets?)

However, you may want to consider switching to another free email system, such as google mail, which may be more inclusive.

Judy G. Russell
July 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
It turns out that there is a setting that can be configured by us for these non-western character sets. The switch has been flipped and you (and all other tapcis.com email users) should now be able to receive emails in all character sets.

Guerri Stevens
July 7th, 2005, 08:01 PM
It turns out that there is a setting that can be configured by us for these non-western character sets. The switch has been flipped and you (and all other tapcis.com email users) should now be able to receive emails in all character sets.
Thanks very much for looking into this.

The setting that can be configured: is this something that I should have been able to do? I hope not, because I hunted for such a setting.

Judy G. Russell
July 7th, 2005, 08:14 PM
No, this is a setting we the cooks and bottle washers have to set.

Guerri Stevens
July 10th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Many thanks, then, to the cooks and bottle washers for taking care of the setting.

And thanks in general for running this place!

Judy G. Russell
July 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM
You're welcome; glad we could fix it.