PDA

View Full Version : Abendländische Kultur

rlohmann
December 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Gibt es hier irgendwelche Partisanen des greisen Kaisers verdammt noch mal?

Jeff
December 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Gibt es hier irgendwelche Partisanen des greisen Kaisers verdammt noch mal?

Gesundheit!

fhaber
December 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Ganz greise, ja.

Partisanen? Sagt Sie Partisanen? (loescht kehle)

"Wohin auch das Auge blicket.
Moor und Heide nur ringsum.
Vogelsang uns nicht erquicket.
Eichen stehen kahl und krum.

Wir sind die Moorsoldaten
und ziehen mit dem Spaten in das Moor.
und ziehen mit dem Spaten in das Moor."

rlohmann
December 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Gesundheit!

Kenntnisgenommen.

rlohmann
December 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM
und ziehen mit dem Spaten in das Moor.
und ziehen mit dem Spaten in das Moor."

Not my kind of "deutsche Kultur."

The "Moorsoldaten," roughly, "Peat-bog soldiers," were inmates of one of the first Nazi concentration camps in the 1930s. The song and a brief video are at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0sss6vSNfw

fhaber
December 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Ihro D,

Your Grace will note with glee that this admirer of Brecht was chastened this year, greatly chastened. I not only saw "Das Leben der Anderen," and bought the DVD, but had the screenplay sent from Germany. Magnificent job all around.

-Sklave 34901

earler
December 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM
It's a lovely film indeed. I saw it a year ago. Did it just arrive in the states?

fhaber
December 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Early fall, I think.

Best of the season.

-f

rlohmann
December 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ihro D,

Your Grace will note with glee that this admirer of Brecht was chastened this year, greatly chastened. I not only saw "Das Leben der Anderen," and bought the DVD, but had the screenplay sent from Germany. Magnificent job all around.

By coincidence, I ordered "Das Leben der Anderen," based on a review in the FAZ, from Amazon.de a few days ago.

Brecht himself was, in addition to being a Communist, a scumball and dirtbag, a plagiarist from the artistic genius of the women he used. (Lindsey and Hillary, please note.)

<sneering complacently>

--
Meine Durchlaucht

Lindsey
December 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM
a plagiarist from the artistic genius of the women he used. (Lindsey and Hillary, please note.)
I have no artistic genius, so I think I am save from the machinations of Berthold Brecht, who in any case is long dead.

Whatever Brecht's political allegiances, most Americans these days (Anne Coulter not withstanding) consider it a badge of honor to have been blacklisted by the HUAC.

--Lindsey

P.S. A college production of "The Good Woman of Sezuan" was one of the few plays I managed to attend when I was at R-MWC. ;)

earler
December 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I believe brecht was also something of a hypocrite. He drove a large mercedes and kept a swiss passport.

davidh
January 1st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Is Germany the only source of genuine Occidental culture? I thought the Indo Europeans came originally from Asia Minor or Caucasus or such. Maybe the Basque's are the only survivors of the original Occidental culture?

David H.

rlohmann
January 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ihro D,
You may rise.<sneering magnanimously>

My own copy, from Amazon.de, arrived only a few days ago. It does, indeed, provide a perspective on the State Security Service as it was in reality, as opposed to its image in the wishful thinking of the True Believers.

The Stasi were a bunch of Communist thugs and goons. Brecht, of course, was in the pay of the ComIntern from the beginning, and made his reputation from the writings of his various mistresses, who were far more talented than he.

rlohmann
January 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have no artistic genius, so I think I am save from the machinations of Berthold Brecht, who in any case is long dead.So is Stalin.

Your point being?

Whatever Brecht's political allegiances, most Americans these days (Anne Coulter not withstanding) consider it a badge of honor to have been blacklisted by the HUAC.

Words fail me.

It is an accepted fact in German literary circles--and not all, by any means, from the former West Germany--that many, if not all, of the literary works ascribed to Brecht were, in whole or in part, created by Brecht's various mistresses.

Ponder that.

earler
January 15th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately, the fine actor who played hauptman giesler died last summer, only 54. His name was ulrich mühe.

It is surprising that film took so long to reach the states. It was released here in 2006 and has already played on cable, from which I downloaded a copy and burned to a dvd. Happily, the premium channels here offer original versions of films though one may opt for dubbed or sub-titled, too.